1/48 Kinetic F-16B Aggressor (Topgun Anniversary)

This model of F-16B 92-0458 of the US Navy Fighter Weapons School was built from the Kinetic F-16A/B NSAWC Adversary boxing.

Having started it possibly a year ago it had got to the assembled but unpainted stage quite quickly but the current F-16 GB provided the impetus to get it finished

20210912_094931

20210909_154321

20210912_095043

20210909_154218

20210912_095416

Aftermarket goodies include a Quinta Studios cockpit set, Eduard etched seatbelts, Aires resin exhaust and Model Master turned brass pitot and AOA sensors.

Thanks to @Peter W for sending me a copy of the Fightertown decal instructions - being in colour and larger than the Kinetic diagrams they helped muchly when making a set of paint masks.  The three main colours (Grey and both Blues) are from the Mr. Paint range - after an initial coat each colour was oversprayed with random lighter and darker patches using Uschi van der Rosten Trinity Splatter stencils.

A final photo paired with 92-0409 built from the Eduard Ltd Ed "Top Falcons" reboxing a Hasegawa kit which was finished during KUTA XII

20210912_140754

Mike

• Like 35

6 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Thanks to @Peter W for sending me a copy of the Fightertown decal instructions - being in colour and larger than the Kinetic diagrams they helped muchly when making a set of paint masks.

Mike

My pleasure Mike, glad that they came in useful. The result certainly looks good and even better sitting next to another aggressor.

Pete

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Parabat said:

Top notch aggressor, the F-16 always looks good in camo. Very nicely done for what is apparently not an easy kit.

Thanks,

The single seater was built from a Hasegawa kit with no real issues.

Kinetic F-16 kits do get a bit easier once you've built a few; the main issues are joints where there is an option of parts e.g. the two upper fuselage sections (not too bad as it is a relatively flat joint) but especially the three separate nose panels which allow various Blocks / Upgrades to be built (getting the two side ones in particular to align along all three edges is almost impossible). Choosing an interesting scheme helps to draw the viewer's eyes away from those areas🤣

• Like 1

Good job on that kit! I’ve built a couple of the Kinetic kits too and you’re right, once you know the problems they become easier to avoid! The masking for that scheme must have  been fun?

I like the single seater too, I built the top falcons kit in those markings.

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, airbus320 said:

Good job on that kit! I’ve built a couple of the Kinetic kits too and you’re right, once you know the problems they become easier to avoid! The masking for that scheme must have  been fun?

I like the single seater too, I built the top falcons kit in those markings.

Chris

Thanks

The masks for both of them were made the same way - see post four in my KUTA XII thread but of course those for the two seater took a lot longer to draw because of all those straight edges.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...