101 Sqn's Vulcans

canberraman

Inspired by Alpha Delta 210's recent cockpit visit to Vulcan XJ824 at IWM Duxford, here's a collection of some of my photo images of the majestic V bomber serving with 101 Squadron.

Out of the 9 operational RAF Vulcan squadrons, No 101 operated the type longer than any of the others, covering the near 25 year period from October 1957 to August 1982. When the squadron was initially stationed at RAF Finningley in the late 1950s, its Vulcan B.1s wore the unit’s crest on their tail fin. With the introduction of centralized servicing in the early 1960s, and following the squadron’s move to RAF Waddington, all markings were removed.  It was not until 1975 that 101 Sqn began to reapply its insignia on to its own aircraft. The first example to display 101’s insignia placed inside a sloping number 101, was Vulcan B.2 XM575 as illustrated in the photo beneath.

img

The shape and size of the 101 Sqn lion fin badge changed over the years. The image below shows the original form on the left that appeared in 1976, followed by the larger lion head on the right that appears to have been introduced from around 1980 until the sqn disbanded on the Vulcan in 1982.

img

What follows is a selection of scanned negatives and images from my collection of 101’s Vulcans. Hopefully these may be of use to those contemplating their markings choices on Airfix’s excellent new tooled Vulcan B.2.

img%5D

img

img

XM655 seen at RAF Lossiemouth (image via Aviation Photo Company)

img

img

XM612 on the ramp at Nellis AFB during a Red Flag exercise (image via Aviation Photo Company).

img

XM606 at RAF Leuchars in September 1977. Note the slightly narrower 101 fin badge and that this machine has yet to receive the passive ECM tail fin.

img

XL386 at an unidentified airshow and noted without the nose mounted air refuelling probe

img

XL360 at Waddington and wearing the later revised 101 lion badge. XL360 was one of four Olympus 201 series aircraft to serve with 101 towards the end of the type's service with the squadron. The majority of 101 assigned aircraft had been the more powerful Olympus 301 engined variant. 

img

img

XM602 seen flying side at the 1981 IAT at RAF Greenham Common. 

img

XJ824 seen shortly after decommissioning from RAF service, and after arrival at IWW Duxford, where it remains one of the most authentic marked and original of the 19 surviving Vulcan B.2s.

img

Close up of the fin badge of XJ824 at Duxford.

img

An immaculate XM605, 101 Sqn's static exhibit, at the Silver Jubilee Royal Review of the RAF at RAF Finningley in July 1977.

Thanks for looking.

Mark

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7

Thought I'd add some useful info if anyone decides to build any of the above Vulcans, here are the various options needed, I'll add part numbers later if anyone wants them:

For XM575 in this configuration:

Olympus 301 jetpipes

Two ECM plates

Conventional bomb bay (Blue Steel withdrawn in 1970)

Red Steer Mk2 (use the alternate tailcone tip)

TFR and IFR nose tip part

Later aerials

Remove twin skybolt blisters and rear mounting blister, but leave the coolant blister

No X Band jammer

Original tail cap

Camouflage is hard edged and squared around the radome. Undersides are gloss white (not light grey). The tail cap should be faded black.

9 hours ago, canberraman said:

img

For XM611 and XM612, XM602 and XM605  in this configuration:

Olympus 301 jetpipes

One ECM (right wing (starboard?))

Conventional bomb bay (never had Blue Steel)

Later aerials

All skybolt blisters present

Twin Emitter Head X Band jammer
RWR tail cap

Campuflage is hard edged and does not avoid the rear portion of the radome. The undersides are Light Aircraft Grey

img%5D

img

img

img

For XM657, XM655, XM649 and XM648 in this configuration:

Olympus 301 jetpipes

Later aerials

Remove Skybolt coolant blister and rear mounting blister, twin blisters should remain in place

Twin Emitter Head X Band jammer
RWR tail cap

Campuflage is hard edged and does not avoid the rear portion of the radome. The undersides are Light Aircraft Grey. For XM649 and XM648 only, the tail cap is painted black.

img

img

img

img

For XM606 in this configuration:

Olympus 301 jetpipes

Later aerials

All skybolt blisters present

Twin Emitter Head X Band jammer
Original tail cap

Campuflage is hard edged and does not avoid the rear portion of the radome. The undersides are Light Aircraft Grey

img

For XL386 

in this configuration:

Olympus 301 jetpipes

Two ECM plates

TFR and no IFR nose tip part

Later aerials

No Skybolt Blisters

Single Emitter Head X Band jammer (note: not standard for this batch of Vulcans)
RWR tail cap

img

For XL360 in this configuration:

Olympus 201 jetpipes (with square blisters as per the kit)

Later aerials

No Skybolt Blisters

No X Band jammer
RWR tail cap

img

For XJ824 in this configuration:

Olympus 201 jetpipes (with square blisters as per the kit)

Conventional bomb bay (Never had Blue Steel)

Red Steer Mk1 (it was fitted with Mk2 in service, but a cover for Mk1 seems to be in place)

Later aerials

Twin Skybolt Blisters only

No X Band jammer
RWR tail cap

Need further sources, but do not make corrections to remove additional bracing from the landing gear, this is in place on most preserved Vulcans 

img

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Adam,

Many thanks indeed for the useful descriptions of the variations in fit between the aircraft illustrated which will be highly useful to Vulcan modellers.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/09/2021 at 12:06, canberraman said:

Iimg

XM612 on the ramp at Nellis AFB during a Red Flag exercise (image via Aviation Photo Company).

I'm intrigued by the aircraft in the background which appears to have a completely different (temporary Red Flag?) colour scheme. Any more info?

1 hour ago, XrayLima said:

I'm intrigued by the aircraft in the background which appears to have a completely different (temporary Red Flag?) colour scheme. Any more info?

Towards the end of their lives several (11?) Vulcans received wrap-around schemes in Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey, including XL318, XL426 and XM575.  There's a full list in Craig Bulman's "Avro Vulcan B. Mk. 2 from a different angle" but my copy's downstairs just now and I'm not.

One Vulcan (XM605?), maybe two, received a temporary "desert-camouflage" finish in Dark Earth and Light Stone IIRC for at least one Red Flag but I still can't reach my references to confirm.

• Like 1

Cracking photographs Mark!

Wraparound Vulcans were XH561 50 Sqn, XL318 617 Sqn, XL359 35 Sqn, XL389 101 Sqn, XL425 617 Sqn, XL426 617 & 50 Sqn, XL427 50 Sqn, XL444 50 Sqn, XL445 230 OCU 35 & 44 Sqn, XM575 44 Sqn, XM605 44 Sqn, XM648 9 & 101 Sqn, XM652 44 & 50 Sqn and XM657 44 & 101 Sqn, they were distributed across the remaining Vulcan squadrons at the time, late 1970s early '80s.

The two with the tan and brown undersides for Red Flag were XM607 and XM648.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, XrayLima said:

Well, that just shows how effective camouflage really is. I didn't spot that aircraft until you pointed it out. Doh!

Excellent run down and pictures as ever, thanks for posting these. Interesting to note the barriers around the aircraft for the Silver Jubilee. I wonder whether QE11 took umbrage at being prevented from getting right up close to one of her Vulcans? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Latinbear said:

Excellent run down and pictures as ever, thanks for posting these. Interesting to note the barriers around the aircraft for the Silver Jubilee. I wonder whether QE11 took umbrage at being prevented from getting right up close to one of her Vulcans? 

Probably almost as hacked off as I suspect she might have been by her useless pillock of a Secretary of State for Defence falling asleep during the flying display.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, stever219 said:

Probably almost as hacked off as I suspect she might have been by her useless pillock of a Secretary of State for Defence falling asleep during the flying display.

Good old Fred Mulley! Following his inspection of the back of his eyelids there was a protest by wives of servicemen who were expecting redundancy following defence cuts some of whom wore tee shirts with the slogan "Fred Mulley slept here". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1