IBG Models 1:72 Crusader AA Tank Mk III

SimonL

Due to one reason or another not had much time at the bench since May, so with a few days of leave last week I thought I would indulge in a quick build. Here I present my attempt at the IBG 1:72 kit of the Crusader AA Tank Mk III finished as the well known Skyraker/The Princess in Normandy, June 1944:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205201956

Main camouflage colour was brush painted Mig AMMO SCC15, weathering with some Army Painter washes, acrylic washes and a spot of dry brushing with oils. I managed to knock off the gun barrels at an early stage and have replaced them (temporarily) with some cut off pins. Build thread can be found here:

Very enjoyable build - thanks for looking.

resized_306d1517-c466-4234-846c-3b65c827

resized_c04c9cea-824b-4cf3-999a-2d09f95e

resized_6aa412c8-020b-4620-8354-dc076deb

resized_3bec5187-4ab1-4d19-a668-a645ebcb

• Like 24

I am impressed with your work, amazing for 1/72nd. Did you build it OOB? IBG have a good range in their portfolio, which I have been looking at, looking more at 1/72nd lately, seems much more detail than the old Matchbox or Hasegawa ones, I remember from the early eighties.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 1:02 AM, neilspen said:

I am impressed with your work, amazing for 1/72nd. Did you build it OOB? IBG have a good range in their portfolio, which I have been looking at, looking more at 1/72nd lately, seems much more detail than the old Matchbox or Hasegawa ones, I remember from the early eighties.

Many thanks  - yes I did build it OOB (for the time being). Thanks to the kindness of @badger I have some brass gun barrels on their way to me, so I will eventually update it with those. I've been making quite a few 1/72 or 1/76 vehicles recently. They don't take up much space once complete.

resized_656204cc-1fc0-4f69-9802-df5036a9

On 9/15/2021 at 1:13 AM, badger said:

Great job and the groundwork sets it off nicely!

Many thanks! Just a bit grass scatter on a MDF coaster from the craft shop.

17 hours ago, Model Mate said:

Lovely job! Nice to see some good hairy-stick action! 
does anyone make this tank in 1/35? Could make a nice conversion/scratch project….

Many thanks. I don't know about 1:35, but I know Tamiya does one (of the AA version) in their 1:48 range. They also do a "regular" Crusader Mk III in 1:48 - I made that a few years ago, still on my shelf:

resized_467ede34-1989-45ac-9004-3a03c486

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Really nice Simon. I'm another being drawn to some of these IBG kits, that looks really good, especially with the way you've done it. These AA Crusaders must have been real beasts against anything other than armour.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. Yes they are great. I have C15A lined up next. As for the AA crusader, despite the large bolts on it, it looks strangely modern to my eyes.

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 3