Handley Page Halton 1/72

MattMosquito

Hi all, I am thinking about possibly converting an Airfix Halifax to represent a Halton. Does anyone know of anyone who produces a conversion set or decals for these aircraft? 

I think I can probably do the conversion without a dedicated set but decals could end up being the larger problem. 

Thanks, Matt. 

4 hours ago, CarLos said:

I don't know who acquired Magna assets, and if they are still available - but I would be interested to know!

Combat Kits, apparently.   Some of the range being sold by FreightDog Models.

• Like 1

Hi all, thankyou for your help. I'd heard about the Magna Models conversion but haven't been able to find one yet, I'm hoping that Freightdog models may release it again as I'm sure I've seen the same conversion under their name. 

Don't suppose anyone has or know's the dimensions of the bomb bay cargo bulge so that I could work out how to scale it down to 1/72? I'm thinking I might be able to make it out of multiple layers of plastic card sanded to shape. 

On 9/13/2021 at 11:19 AM, MattMosquito said:

Don't suppose anyone has or know's the dimensions of the bomb bay cargo bulge so that I could work out how to scale it down to 1/72? I'm thinking I might be able to make it out of multiple layers of plastic card sanded to shape. 

The Magna freight pannier measures 98.5mm long by 22mm wide by 10mm deep. It's shaped to fit over the existing bomb bay doors but I suggest that you remove the doors, measure the length and width of the resulting hole and insert a 10mm deep block of whatever material you're going to use. Laminated card should work fine. 

The Magna decals are for G-AHDU of BOAC, G-AIWK of Bond Air Services, G-AIWP of Skyflight and G-ALEF of Eagle Aviation. If you would like to use any of these options I can send you the relevant decals.

Edited by Ivor Ramsden
  • Like 1

Somewhere I have a Alan Hall Halton  conversion in an Airfix magazine from the 60's. Will try to find for you. my apologies its to convert the Airfix Halifax B.3 to an earlier Mk.2 variant Airfix Mag Dec 1967.

Edited by T-21

Hello all, thankyou for all of your help it's much appreciated. I have been able to track down the Magna Models conversion set now thanks to a member of this site 👍 

Looking forward to building this conversion as it'll be my first civil subject I've built (I normally build WW2 allied subjects). I'll keep everyone posted! 🙂 

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
On 9/19/2021 at 6:03 PM, Ivor Ramsden said:

The Magna freight pannier measures 98.5mm long by 22mm wide by 10mm deep. It's shaped to fit over the existing bomb bay doors but I suggest that you remove the doors, measure the length and width of the resulting hole and insert a 10mm deep block of whatever material you're going to use. Laminated card should work fine. 

The Magna decals are for G-AHDU of BOAC, G-AIWK of Bond Air Services, G-AIWP of Skyflight and G-ALEF of Eagle Aviation. If you would like to use any of these options I can send you the relevant decals.

Hi Ivor

Any chance of a scan of the markings for G-ALEF?  I'm hoping it wasn't a lockdown build 🙂

regards

Brent

20 hours ago, Cashman1 said:

Hi Ivor

Any chance of a scan of the markings for G-ALEF?  I'm hoping it wasn't a lockdown build 🙂

regards

Brent

Yes, with pleasure. can you PM me an email address please?

On 9/22/2021 at 12:16 AM, dogsbody said:

This conversion was for an HP Halifax C.VIII, very similar but not identical to an HP Halton, but probably an easier conversion (uses bomber clear nose and no fuselage windows to be added).