w8FdvTf.jpg

w8wGjI3.jpg

Jld7ykQ.jpg

VFP233D.jpg

sqtNcUF.jpg

q0NOBTB.jpg

fcYb7SV.jpg

XKiIWjv.jpg

Built pretty much from the box, swapped the top .30 turret for a Sherman split hatch cuppola and left-off the tool boxes from rear.

Paints are all Tamiya acrylics mixed by eye to 'try' and make the SCC13 Jungle Green. I've no idea what colour the earth is in Mandalay Burma, so mixed up some Mig Farm Soil & Vietnam Earth pigments and hoped for the best... Decals are by Star (35-C-1120) for a vehicle of the 3rd Carabiniers, 245th Indian Tank Brigade in Spring '45.

Please feel free to make any comments or suggestions. All the best from New Zealand.

Ian.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Nicely done.  I have a similar plan for a Miniart Late Lee.

However, this kit is one of the early Academy releases with the too-tall bogie brackets so it sits up too high.  They made the mistake of making them the height of the taller M4 brackets but did correct the error in later production runs.  There is no way of telling from the outside of the box.  Airfix-boxed Lee and Grant kits are OK.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 9/16/2021 at 3:55 AM, Model Mate said:

Very nice! I’m working on the Miniart one, and if it turns out half as good as this I’ll be happy. Are those rubber-band tracks?

Sorry I only just re-read this thread and realised that you'd asked a question... Yes they are same ones that come with the M10/M36 kits and some of the early Academy Shermans.

Ian.

Side doors and long M3 gun is an odd combination. By the time the M3 gun was being fitted the side doors were either welded shut or eliminated. Miniart's Late Lee would be a good start point.

I know the question of Burma colour has been raised before. As I understand it, vehicles arriving in OD and later SCC15 were not routinely repaiinted. No obvious need. Vehicles arriving from N Africa in desert colours or from the UK etc in SCC2 were repainted in the local theatre colour. Which may or may not have been SCC13 or may more likely have been a paint produced in India.

Great build! The see through makes it really interesting to look at. All the small details are done really well and the overal color scheme looks good to me. 

Top work!!!

• 1 year later...

I think for all of us both Lee and Grant are synonymous with the desert war against the Afrika Korps. That's why your model has such a unique atmosphere.

And now I know what my 1/72 Grant will look like, which I'm just starting.

And SCC13 from @Mike Starmer's recipe (some crazy mix of Humbrol 159, 155 and 33) turns out to be the same as H242 straight from the can, which in turn looks very similar to your Lee. You had a great idea!

Cheers

Michael

• Thanks 1