Arado Ar. 96B-1, Special Hobby 1/72

My first completed aircraft post on here, it's only been two months of learning and trial and error since returning to the hobby after 20 years. Its my first kit with PE parts, and I'm still learning my air-brush that I only started with a month ago...

Enough excuses, here's the result:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As for the technical details, its built OOB from the kit by Special Hobby and completed in the scheme of an Ar. 96B-1 of the Flugzeugführerschule A/B 4 at Neudorf-Oppeln, Silesia in 1943 using kit supplied decals and painted with Vallejo Air paints.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Nice job sir and also nice to see an Arado 96 too. Always had a soft spot for the aeroplane. Not long ago finished the Heller Ar-96B myself and currently have an Special Hobby Ar-96A on the go. How did you find the fit of the Special Hobby kit? I'm already discovering some potential issues after trying to dry fit the fuselage halves together with the cockpit in place.

Steve 

Thanks all, I'm probably my own worst critic, but all in all I'm more than satisfied with this build. I learned a few things along the way too.

@VolkerR. I've been collecting WWII items since I was 8 years old, so my collection will tend to sneak into my photography from time to time.

@fightersweep the overall fit is good but make sure you fit the cockpit several times before committing to glue. The center divider in the cockpit was really difficult to get to fit in its place in the fuselage halves and in the end it cocked just enough to spread the fuselage just enough to throw off the wing roots which in turn lead to a bunch of sanding, fitting, filling and sanding. In hindsight, I should've narrowed the whole assembly so that a minor cockpit misalignment wouldn't throw the whole aircraft off. With no locator pins on the fuselage, everything aligns off the cockpit, so you can't narrow it too much though.