New guy from the US Pacific Northwest...

RainierHooker

Hello all.

I'm a retired Army Flight Engineer who after a few years out of military aviation, have returned to modeling (after a 20 year hiatus) to help satisfy my cravings. After buying a few Airfix kits for my then 6 year old son last Christmas, he finally pulled them out and insisted we build one together about two months ago...

spacer.png

...as these things often go, we fell down the rabbit hole. In the last two months we've built a dozen models, all 1/72 WWII airplanes and we've amassed a stash that has raised the wife's eyebrows. He picks them and helps with assembly, I do the fiddly bits and painting. I'm looking forward to learning more and continuing in this hobby that I'd left behind as a teenager.

Edited by RainierHooker
grammar
  • Like 13

Welcome from California. I love that you build model with your son. I have two boys as well and one has taken interest in models.  I am glad your here. 
Brian

Thanks all, glad to be here and glad to learn more. Im working my way up to building a hyper detailed version of my last assigned aircraft in the army, in 1/72 scale, but I'm having fun honing my skills first...

spacer.png

Edited by RainierHooker
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

A Chinook!  Well, that will be quite the project in 1/72.  I'm looking forward to it.  What is your crew position on the CH-47D?

I started my career as a 19 year old CH-47D mechanic, and worked my way through gunner, crew chief, and flight engineer. I retired as a CH-47D/F Flight Engineer, Crew, and Standardizations Instructor. Overall, I was on flight status for 12 years, logged 2200 hours as an FE, with 3 of those years in combat on several rotations in Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Iraq.

I also spent a short time on UH-60s and worked for a while as a maintenance tech and lead on OH-58s.

Edited by RainierHooker
  • Like 2