Questions on eduard SPACE decals

ReccePhreak

In the 2021-03 issue of INFO-EDUARD, they have an article about applying their Eduard SPACE cockpit "decals". They mention using some "dispersion" glue under the decals. I have never heard of dispersion glue, is it some form of super glue, white glue or what? :please:

Larry

A dispersion is just a substance of particles suspended evenly in a fluid, so I imagine that poly vinyl acetates and similar glues can all be classed as dispersions. A visit to your search engine of choice will show whether I'm right. 😉

I have started using Eduard SPACE decals applied in accordance with their instructions:

1.Soak the decal in the warm water for couple of seconds and after its separation from the backing paper position it on the model.

2.To increase decal's adherence use the white glue, Mr. Mark Setter or apply to the glossy surface.
3.Leaving decal in the water for too long can cause its swelling.

I used Mr Mark Setter NEO which has the ingredients Water, Ester Compound, Polyvinyl Acetate (PVA), Polyvinyl Alcohol, Vinyl Acetate. 

They have adhered extremely well.  Although, by their instructions, I could of just used PVA or, I expect, a diluted PVA mix.

Ray

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I have started using Eduard SPACE decals applied in accordance with their instructions:

1.Soak the decal in the warm water for couple of seconds and after its separation from the backing paper position it on the model.

2.To increase decal's adherence use the white glue, Mr. Mark Setter or apply to the glossy surface.
3.Leaving decal in the water for too long can cause its swelling.

I used Mr Mark Setter NEO which has the ingredients Water, Ester Compound, Polyvinyl Acetate (PVA), Polyvinyl Alcohol, Vinyl Acetate. 

They have adhered extremely well.  Although, by their instructions, I could of just used PVA or, I expect, a diluted PVA mix.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Thanks for that detailed explanation. I don't have any of the SPACE decals yet, but I will remember your tips when I get some.

Larry

From what I've read elsewhere there seems to be no necessity to treat these as decals. I understand that they can be cut out and glued in place using any glue that doesn't cure too quickly (allowing you to move it into position). Of course this comes with a suitable warning that I haven't used any of the 3D decals yet myself 🤔

Mark

Just now, Mark Harmsworth said:

I understand that they can be cut out and glued in place using any glue that doesn't cure too quickly

Yes I had seen the same. In my case the Eduard instructions worked very well, let's come back in 10 years and and see. One thing I did not say is that I applied them to an undercoated surface. In my case, Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 airbrushed as thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner.

Ray