Sherman II (M4A1)

StuartH

Hi,

This is my recently completed Tamiya M4A1 1/48 depicted as vehicle 'Zawieja' of the 2nd Squadron, Carpathian Lancers Regiment, Polish armed forces based in Italy 1945.

I added some photo etch from Hauler, paints by Mig and weathered with oils and pigments. The decals are by Toro models and the stowage from Redog and Valuegear.

Thanks for looking!

resized_39ad16ed-fb3a-4300-a03a-76ad7d8d

resized_3c8b6fdf-f0bd-4925-85e9-62f1517c

resized_3698deb7-6925-4b3c-8652-790d2b99

resized_d5309420-6ebb-4e5e-9ddf-9a10e2b4

resized_3840552c-1b89-41f9-bec7-035266f4

resized_11ac5032-8fe5-4016-a5a1-5c11742d

resized_84d2f902-0073-4a63-b543-50a46dc1

resized_861bc525-f6b8-48d8-993e-c9d877dc

resized_2b00c274-61d0-4c2a-aed9-735f5de9

resized_94856334-bf3a-46f0-940e-8d6f8350

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, vytautas said:

That's a lovely build with a lot of great touches. Top work!
I really liked the last photo, it turned out to be very expressive to me

Vytautas

Many thanks Vytautas and glad you like it. Much appreciated.

16 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Very nicely done! :clap2:

Thank you!

22 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Very nice job Stuart. I especially like the open blanket box on the rear of the turret, and the fact that you've lashed the stowage down. Nice one.

John.

Many thanks for your kind comments John and glad you like it 👍

21 hours ago, IanC said:

Excellent. Could be 1/35, not 1/48th. I like the groundwork too.

Many thanks Ian....much appreciated 

• Like 1

Lovely build Stuart!

Can I make a suggestion?  If you take a scraper and define the sandbags before painting, it might make them look less "solid", also a bit of dark wash along those lines might help too (please note - this is not a criticism).

AJ

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alpha Juliet said:

Lovely build Stuart!

Can I make a suggestion?  If you take a scraper and define the sandbags before painting, it might make them look less "solid", also a bit of dark wash along those lines might help too (please note - this is not a criticism).

AJ

Thank you and yes good idea about defining the sandbags a little more. I did do a pin wash but I think the pigments have overwhelmed it a little. Cheers 👍

3 hours ago, Phil1960 said:

Well done! I love the gun shadow on front area 👍 I'd like to know more info's about this practice.

Thank you!

Ciao

Filippo

Thank you Filippo. The general darkness under the barrel was made using dark grey oil paints as a filter and not placing much light coloured pigment in this area. For the actual shadow then this is a real shadow formed by placing the light source above the model when taking photos...nothing fancy! Hope that helps!

31 minutes ago, GRK said:

lovely work and great job on the stowage, like Bullbasket said the open turret box is a nice touch 

Thank you! Yes, I thought having the lid in a perpendicular upright position would have prevented a 360 field of vision from the turret hatch so I think in this partially open position gives a bit of visual interest whilst also semi-realistic!? Cheers

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely superb result Stuart. I'm really impressed with your weathering effects - you have really captured the dusty appearance. Fantastic modelling :worthy: :worthy:

I've got one of these kits in the stash - I will bookmark this post as reference for the future. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Absolutely superb result Stuart. I'm really impressed with your weathering effects - you have really captured the dusty appearance. Fantastic modelling :worthy: :worthy:

I've got one of these kits in the stash - I will bookmark this post as reference for the future. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Stix

Many thanks Stix for your kind comments and glad you like it.

It's a great kit which I can thoroughly recommend so I look forward to seeing your version!

Hi Stuart,

Great job. Not a lot to fault at all, other than the lack of detail on the sandbags, which has already been mentioned, but I would also add that they would most likely be tied down as well, especially those across the very the front at those at the sides. The rest could just 'flop' in place. Also, the stowage at the rear is a bit too high a, a nd would foul the gun barrel if trying to do a 180.

Apart from that, everything else is great; the weathering, a nice dusty look, great colours, the nicely opened turret box,, and no one's mentioned the superb groundwork.

Rearguards,

Badder 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Carius said:

You did a great job Stuart. I love the dio too.

Many thanks Carius for your kind comments...much appreciated.

9 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Stuart,

Great job. Not a lot to fault at all, other than the lack of detail on the sandbags, which has already been mentioned, but I would also add that they would most likely be tied down as well, especially those across the very the front at those at the sides. The rest could just 'flop' in place. Also, the stowage at the rear is a bit too high a, a nd would foul the gun barrel if trying to do a 180.

Apart from that, everything else is great; the weathering, a nice dusty look, great colours, the nicely opened turret box,, and no one's mentioned the superb groundwork.

Rearguards,

Badder 

Cheers and thank you for the constructive feedback....always good to get things to improve on for the future and have a fresh pair of eyes looking at a model. Good call about the sandbags and stowage 👍

• Like 1