Jeroen's Viggen - launched into KUTA

JeroenS

On 9/28/2021 at 4:17 PM, JeroenS said:

Yes, I've pushed and pulled a little already, I'm going to put some extra strips in and rely on the power of TET 🙂 .... Looks like it will be fine. 

oooo that's nasty!!

As mentioned, do it in steps with lots of tape to hold it together, liquid glue will be the best. But it'll come together with some persuasion and Bondage! :whip:  :D

• Like 1

Hi, Jeroen. So you decided to build a plane, a Viggen and an oldie at that!

You didn't need to go to such an extent to make us happy and take a seat, pal.

Well, I've got my sunglasses already on, so be warned I'm prepared for a stunner, as with your other builds.

Cheers.

Pat.

39 minutes ago, PattheCat said:

Hi, Jeroen. So you decided to build a plane, a Viggen and an oldie at that!

You didn't need to go to such an extent to make us happy and take a seat, pal.

Well, I've got my sunglasses already on, so be warned I'm prepared for a stunner, as with your other builds.

Cheers.

Pat.

Well, no pressure then! 😉 

Thanks for the encouragements. Remember, this will be a side build for me, but I hope I can make something of it anyway. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, reini said:

@JeroenS Soooo..... how's the Viggen? :D Not many Viggens in this GB, need more of them.

Weeeellll.... I lost all of October because of work in the garden, and after that I got a bit discouraged when looking at the cockpit parts.... 

20211204064511-dd2a445b-me.jpg

No decals, no PE, no nothing, so how to make something of this? So it went back into the box where it still is... However, last weekend I got some advice from a nice Finnish dude so that should get that sorted. Now I just need some time, the Scania is still very time consuming. So if the Viggen gets back on the bench it will definitely be a last minute thing!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, reini said:

@JeroenS Sounds like there might be some Nordic Blitzbuilding happening at the very end of this GB :D 

Oooorrrr we could extend 🙂 

• Like 2

On 12/6/2021 at 11:00 AM, JeroenS said:

Oooorrrr we could extend 🙂 

A wee 12 month extension would prove popular I'm sure :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

It could hurt to ask or Dear Leader/ Santa Enzo.

@Enzo Matrix  Arrr Santa, the Nordic elves are running behind schedule.... I've tried whipping them but there's too much giggling and "yes pleases" when I do so that's not working!  Could we please have a wee extension???  They have promised to have there builds finished.... or else no egg nog for them!

• Haha 3

On 12/8/2021 at 8:35 PM, Col. said:

A wee 12 month extension would prove popular I'm sure :) 

no, not a good idea.... I would immediatley put mine to the shelf of ... "wait a couple of months" and start something else....

:wall:

deadlines are to be extended only a bit,,, but maybe more than once :D

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

Alright guys, no plans for tonight other than seeing 2021 to the finish, but we'll be staying at home for that. Might as well breathe some life back into the Viggen. I don't know if a little over a week will be enough to finish it but we'll find out!

So this afternoon, I glued some tabs in the fuselage to assist with getting the warped halves to fit. 

20211231173843-ba8fadd3-me.jpg

I attached the air intakes, I used a little piece of card to assist the placement. Still some filling to do on both sides... 

20211231173842-f8ea36e1-me.jpg

20211231173843-4577304c-me.jpg

The large wings are glued together. 

20211231173844-e605ba43-me.jpg

And I modified the drop tank which I read should have 4 fins instead if the 3 Heller provided. 

20211231173843-415dcedf-me.jpg

These are the parts I need to take care of first so I can close the fuselage. 

20211231173844-86f68f2d-me.jpg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Marlin said:

Great Jeroen. :D

Happy New Year. 🥳

/Bosse 

Thanks Bosse, have a good one yourself! 

Don't eat all your cookies at once.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, JeroenS said:

And I modified the drop tank which I read should have 4 fins instead if the 3 Heller provided.

4 fins for the JA (fighter) versions, 3 for the AJ (attack, recce, ....) versions. The upper center fin got into the way of the cannon installation if I understand correctly!

Not sure though if they are all the same size.. and if there are different versions...

A reference photo:

IMG_7978.JPG

https://www.armedconflicts.com/attachments/4461/IMG_7978.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

4 fins for the JA (fighter) versions, 3 for the AJ (attack, recce, ....) versions. The upper center fin got into the way of the cannon installation if I understand correctly!

That makes sense I guess. So Heller put the AJ tank in the JA box... Ah well... I'm not looking to build an accurate replica which is probably not even possible using this kit. Secondly, about the only thing I know about aircraft is that they can fly 🙂 

This is my second aircraft build since I was a boy, I'll be happy when I get this one finished on time and in reasonable shape. I will throw in an aircraft build every now and then, browsing the yearbooks (which I love to do) and seeing all those beautiful builds is inspiring. There are some aircraft that I'd like to build, the Spitfire was one, the Viggen another, though I may do a larger scale build from a better kit some day. 

I finished the cockpit, to be honest I was put off at first by the fact that it was so very basic and I would have to make something of it myself... And having never built a 1/72 aircraft since I was a kid I found this a difficult prospect. Anway, some sound Finnish advice from @reini and a look at other builds convinced me to at least have a go. As it turned out I had one aircraft decal sheet in the parts box, along with a couple of parts of an F18 Hornet. And there was an instrument panel decal on it which I cut to the correct size and applied to the Viggen's IP. It's not too bad. As for the cockpit, well... it's still very basic but a glance through the canopy will at least show a little colour, though most of it will never be seen anyway. 

20220101163226-528552c0-me.jpg

I can now put the cockpit in and start the job of trying to get those warped fuselage halves to fit. 

Edited by JeroenS
Hornet... not Tomcat
  • Like 5

So, closing the fuselage... There's 1 locating pin at the front, and 1 at the back. The rest is just butt joints, which is fine when the halves meet up but in this case the warping causes a bit of stress at various points. I had glued in the cockpit earlier this evening and joined up the fuselage in front of the cockpit and around the wheel well. Then I decided to work my way backwards. 

This one came out pretty much ok. 

20220101212103-fb91e196-me.jpg

But it will need sanding. I have a question for you: this thing has raised panel lines, I will certainly loose detail when sanding. How do you normally deal with that? 

I changed tactics when I saw what was still a problem a little further back. 

20220101212104-a729ddfe-me.jpg

You can see it better from this side. 

20220101212103-e46c56b3-me.jpg

This is not nice. I decided to start from the back to sort of box this one in, so it would be solid on both ends before I try to fix it. 

First the top. You can see my fingers are white from exerting pressure on the parts, there's not really a way to clamp or tape them. The warping makes it all want to slide in an incorrect position. I'm glad the guys at Tamiya have come up with the quick setting stuff 🙂 ... I doused the area and pushed for a while, which really welds the plastic together. 

20220101212104-73662a67-me.jpg

Then the bottom half which is quite thin too, not much to hold against eachother. In the picture above you can see that one half wants to slide under the other. Again, a lot of extra thin and hold in place for a while. 

20220101212105-05306b1f-me.jpg

The results are reasonable. 

20220101212102-255de3e8-me.jpg

20220101212105-64bc1e21-me.jpg

This one, not so much. I'll have another go at this one before leaving it overnight. 

20220101212102-594e52b1-me.jpg

• Like 2

Good morning all. I was up early and started out by glueing the rest of the underside. As you can see I did get the halves to meet up and got a free tear to go with that!

20220102084819-6c1fcdce-me.jpg

I glued a small piece of card in there to have at least some connection between the parts. You can see the white stress marks on the plastic, bottom left. 

20220102084819-fc74e3e2-me.jpg

The "spinal insert" was next, not a perfect fit but I'm beginning to see that for this kit it's not too bad. 

20220102084820-752a5f88-me.jpg

Then, in true Forrest Gump style, I figured that now I got this far, I might as well glue in the large delta wings. So I did.

20220102084820-404a7911-me.jpg

This also helps tie the halves together. On one side, better than on the other. 

Large seam on the right side. 

20220102084820-b2aac371-me.jpg

For one, I've been using @stevej60's Nordic I build of this kit and I'm seeing the exact same gaps as he mentioned so that must mean I'm on the right track 😄

@PeterB's Nordic I build is also proving helpful, I got the drop tank correction from there. 

I glued on the underbelly part for the cannon which fitted quite well and helps in tying the whole thing together even more. 

20220102084818-52b6f407-me.jpg

I'll be getting out the putty next.... 

20220102084821-b4b93710-me.jpg

• Like 3