Jeroen's Viggen - launched into KUTA

JeroenS

OK guys, I'm actually going to build my second aircraft since I was a kid. I remember building some planes when I was young but let's say the results are not among us anymore. They never lasted long 🙂 

But I'm certain I built a Viggen back then, because I thought (and still think) that it's one cool looking beasty. I may even have built this very kit as the original dates back to 1977!

I know my truck build will keep me occupied but I will still try my best to make something of the Viggen and get it into the gallery. It will be an OOB build because I know very little about aircraft, and I don't want to lose time over it either. The Spitfire I built for Spitfire STGB needs some company in my display cabinet and I feel a Viggen is a worthy addition. 

I purchased Heller's newest re-release yesterday, it should take about a week and a half to arrive I've been told. No worries, plenty to do in the meantime 🙂 

20210911191947-38350854.jpg

• Like 13

OMG!!!!  Its glad I was sitting down when I saw this thread...... Jerome building a plane....and a Viggen as well!!!!   :yikes: :D

Well this is a surprise and a nice one as well...... and finally a Viggen.... which i agree has to be one of the coolest looking planes ever built. 

Hopefully this build will inspire more people to go and bring along their Viggen!

Good luck with her, and if you need help with where the wings go.........  :rofl2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Excellent subject choice Jeroen :wub: As Rich says this has to be one of the coolest looking aircraft to ever fly.

On 9/11/2021 at 11:06 PM, trickyrich said:

Good luck with her, and if you need help with where the wings go.........  :rofl2:

Back to front in this case ;)

• Like 1

Got the Viggen in the mail today. It's the new Heller boxing so the box looks quite nice. It's JA-37 which is described as "the perfected version". 

You probably all know what the sprues look like but let's do them anyway. 

Fuselage.

20210923202725-644e1425-me.jpg

Those nice big wings. I think I like how the bottom of the wing is part of the lower fuselage as well. 

20210923202725-6b225737-me.jpg

The small stuff.

20210923202726-140455f5-me.jpg

Clear parts and decals. Crappy pics, I know. 

20210923202723-37dc6f29-me.jpg

Paint guide. 

20210923202726-e5803070-me.jpg

So, question for you guys. Top colour is listed as Humbrol 127 which should translate into Tamiya's XF-19 Sky Grey which I happen to have so that's a bonus. Bottom colour is described as Humbrol 127 mixed with white. How much lighter should this be? Is there a standard colour that I could use?

• Like 8

Looking good. :)

Yes there is a standard colour - if you have Gunze or Mr. paint. Hold on!

Gunze:

Dark Grey H-307

Light Grey H-338

Mr Paint:

MRP-220 (032M)

MRP-221 (033M)

I used the mRP here:

51163406362_b51400ad68_k.jpg

Shitty pics, sorry. Seems a little darker (bad light) than it is in real life - and i weathered it a bit.. Weird.

I have painted a J 35J with Gunze - gave it away and have no pics. But as far as I remember, i liked those too!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Paramedic said:

Looking good. :)

Yes there is a standard colour - if you have Gunze or Mr. paint. Hold on!

Gunze:

Dark Grey H-307

Light Grey H-338

Mr Paint:

MRP-220 (032M)

MRP-221 (033M)

Thanks! I have neither but will try to see if they have an equivalent for Tamiya or Vallejo which are the paints I have. My LHS has no Gunze or MRP so no easy (postage free) access to those. 

I don´t know those others very well for that kind of painting (I use valejo and Citadell for brush painting though) - so don´t know their equivalent. But there should be some I hope. :)

XF-53 is mentioned for one of them here. No idea how accurate.

• Thanks 1

See this is why I build trucks... no colour issues there 🙂 

So Heller says "light ghost grey" on top, but that paint is the equivalent of the H-338 you used on the bottom (which should be XF-19, sky grey which makes sense on the underside I guess). The "dark ghost grey" goes on top, which is the Tamiya XF-53 (neutral grey), hmm I don't have that one, but at least a quick trip to the LHS should solve that issue.

Edit: MRP-221 / MRP-220 combination seems to match the Tamiya XF-53 / XF-19, so I guess I'll go with those. 

• Like 2

going to one of the good bibles for colour information..

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/urbans-color-reference-charts-part-i/urbans-colour-reference-charts-sweden/Basically 

Basically you use XF-19 for the undersides, and mix of 50:50 XF-25 & XF-66 for the upper surfaces.

For Humbrol, Hu.147 underside and Hu.128 upper.

I wouldn't get too excited about the exact ratios for the top colours, as the paint jobs aged they would change hue, so even if it's not perfect it'll be fine.

You could have been brave and done a "splinter" scheme!!!! :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Ha! yeah right.... maybe I will call it "the mythical splinter scheme" :wicked:

Anyway, thanks for yet another colour instruction 🙂 .... You do realize that I biked to my LHS yesterday and got the XF-53! I'm afraid have neither the XF-25 nor the XF-66. That's another €8,80 for a side build! Hmm. XF-25 is Light Sea Grey, XF-66 is Light Grey. 

I think I'll secretly mix XF-2 White, the XF-53 (Neutral Grey) I got yesterday with a drop of XF-23 (Light Blue) and see if you can tell the difference :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Col. said:

Or you could go for an early natural metal scheme. That'd be so much simpler :lol:

Hmm... I think I'll take a pass on that one and just stick with the grey... Little darker on the top than on the bottom... I'll work it out somehow.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, trickyrich said:

going to one of the good bibles for colour information..

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/urbans-color-reference-charts-part-i/urbans-colour-reference-charts-sweden/Basically 

Basically you use XF-19 for the undersides, and mix of 50:50 XF-25 & XF-66 for the upper surfaces.

For Humbrol, Hu.147 underside and Hu.128 upper.

I wouldn't get too excited about the exact ratios for the top colours, as the paint jobs aged they would change hue, so even if it's not perfect it'll be fine.

Yeah, loads of weather and aged airframes. F 4 Wing especially iirc..

Splinter was less common on JAs but they existed (for a reason too! Harder to tell what took off, JAs aor AJs? Atleast if you only saw splinter..)

There was even one splinter JA 37Di - it is still around - at Ugglarp. 37326. And she´s beautiful (first Di too!)

13 hours ago, Col. said:

Or you could go for an early natural metal scheme. That'd be so much simpler :lol:

Don´t think JAs flew like that really.. AJs did - for a while. There was probably some JAs at FC in NMF though.

• Thanks 1

Ah, the feeling of "what have I gotten myself into now".... I cut the big parts off the sprues to make a start and to check the fit, after all this is a Heller kit. 

The fuselage parts fit well enough from the top. 

20210926093148-db69e61b-me.jpg

Let's turn them around. 

20210926093149-f2ca5346-me.jpg

Oops. 

20210926093146-915a6d6b-me.jpg

Oh boy... there's definitely something off there. The right side of the fuselage (here on the left) is pretty warped. This is going to need some TLC. Well, a lot. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Oof.. :)

Very little experience from Heller.. Those and Airfix, of course, plus Matchbox were the ones availble in my two toyshops in town as a kid.. Well, and some italeri and Revell too.

I bought a Heller or two and had trouble like this iirc.. Even as a kid I realized Airfix (also issues though)  and preferrably Matchbox was my thing back then.. ;)

You can carefully put it in semi-warm water and reshape it..?

14 minutes ago, Col. said:

Hopefully a bit of taping and clamping will see you right there Jeroen.

Yes, I've pushed and pulled a little already, I'm going to put some extra strips in and rely on the power of TET 🙂 .... Looks like it will be fine. 

• Like 1