Phantom F-4C rear cockpit - Stbd wall detail?

Johnson

Hi Folks,

Can anyone help me with the starboard rear cockpit side wall of a Phantom F-4C? I'm making Robin Olds plane in the Phantom STGB using the Hobby 2000 kit, a reboxed Hasegawa kit. It contains part 20 which I recall using for the Hasegawa F-4J that I modelled a few years back.;

y4mTg9wKp-YNxEeuW_5HxNzJekpT3gu2Mr8BlQZk

But should it be in an F-4C? It's not mentioned in the Hobby 2000 instructions, and I can't see it in the virtual 3D cockpit of an F-4C, but that plane may have been modified. I'd hate to leave it out only to find it should have been there, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

36 minutes ago, Robertone139 said:

Good luck reaching those circuit breakers or even seeing them.

I was thinking much the same, (as well as how do I portray them on my 1/72 kit). Imagine trying to find the right one in the dark with gloves on!

As usual I'm getting bogged down in the cockpit with detail that will never even be seen.

43 minutes ago, Johnson said:

I was thinking much the same, (as well as how do I portray them on my 1/72 kit). Imagine trying to find the right one in the dark with gloves on!

As usual I'm getting bogged down in the cockpit with detail that will never even be seen.

I'd just replicate the first row of CB's that are adjacent to the outer edge of the panel.  Nothing else will be seen.   Maybe just use very small sections of stretched sprue?  Good luck doing this in 72nd, I'll be doing the same thing in 32nd when I start my F-4C build.

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

True, but as the Third Law of Modeling states: "As long as you know it's there, it's OK to scratchbuild minute details that won't be seen after the fuselage/wings are closed up." :like:

Mike

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 11bravo said:

I'd just replicate the first row of CB's that are adjacent to the outer edge of the panel.  Nothing else will be seen.   Maybe just use very small sections of stretched sprue? 

Yes, thanks John, I think that would work.

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

True, but as the Third Law of Modeling states: "As long as you know it's there, it's OK to scratchbuild minute details that won't be seen after the fuselage/wings are closed up.

You're right Mike. And much of the fun and satisfaction is in getting the detail as right as you can, providing it works of course!

Cheers,

33 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Yes, thanks John, I think that would work.

You're right Mike. And much of the fun and satisfaction is in getting the detail as right as you can, providing it works of course!

Cheers,

Operating circuit breakers in 72nd Are rather ambitious, methinks 😉

Edited by tempestfan
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Robertone139 said:

Good luck reaching those circuit breakers or even seeing them.

Nice touch that McD went to the trouble of labeling each one.    Maybe a tech could read it with the seat removed but there is not way the WSO could.   Only thing I could think of would be a reference sheet that stated for "CB X, 4th row, in 3"?  I've been staring at F-4 cockpits since I was a kid, I never had a clue all those circuit breakers were present.  

BTW, if anyone wants to check out a great F-4C cockpit reference, google USAF Museum, 3D cockpits.    A fantastic reference for many aircraft cockpits including a nicely weathered F-4C pit.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1