Airfix 1:48 chipmunk

Hi all 

I present to you my rendition of the Airfix 1:48 Chipmunk T.10

I chose to do the camouflaged markings of WP964 serving with the Army Air Corps at AAC Middle Wallop in June 1968

I used kits-world 3-D printed decals for the instrument panels and seatbelts (KW3D1481020) not overly impressed with these would of preferred photo-etch but hay-ho 

Tamyia XF-52 and XF-81 acrylic paints used for the camo 

also added the break lines from nylon thread 

i throughly enjoyed this build 

thanks for looking and happy modelling 

51446605516_f8e71f2414_b.jpg

51445846897_2ac64f211d_b.jpg

51446605416_4f3562bfef_b.jpg

• Like 38

20 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Most excellent work! What was the issue with the 3D instrument panels and belts?

First time I’ve used 3D printed decals and I didn’t know how to apply them as there was no instructions on how to use them so  anyway I went through the usual process like normal decals and when applying them to the cockpit they wouldn’t stick I ended up using PVA to stick them down.

• Thanks 1

Wonderful. How did you get on with the canopy and jig? I am almost finished with one of my kits but made a hash of the canopy and waiting for a replacement. I just could not get it right. What or how did you do yours and any recommendations .

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Paul J said:

Wonderful. How did you get on with the canopy and jig? I am almost finished with one of my kits but made a hash of the canopy and waiting for a replacement. I just could not get it right. What or how did you do yours and any recommendations .

Hi Paul 

The canopy was a bit of a pain using the jig. I had fit issues with it at the end of the build it wouldn’t sit snuggly on to the fuselage so I had to carefully bend the canopy sides out slightly to get a better fit. I think Airfix over thought the jig idea it would of been better to have one piece rear canopy but I suppose they did it that way due to mould restraints and got two styles of side canopy for different versions. 👍 

Edited by Spitfire madman

8 hours ago, Spitfire madman said:

Hi Paul 

The canopy was a bit of a pain using the jig. I had fit issues with it at the end of the build it wouldn’t sit snuggly on to the fuselage so I had to carefully bend the canopy sides out slightly to get a better fit. I think Airfix over thought the jig idea would of been better to have one piece rear canopy but I suppose they did it that way due to mould restraints and got to styles of side canopy for different versions. 👍 

Thanks. I will have to think of a safe way to assemble the replacement when it comes. AND avoid getting glue on the important areas.

• Like 1