This is the ESCI F-100D, which is an old kit but still a very good one; Scalemates says it was first released in 1982, with this boxing dating from 1985.  I’ve used some Eduard F-100D details (intended for the Italeri kit), Aires wheels, jet pipe and exhaust.  The Esci cockpit is very basic but the Eduard etch and a little plastic card helped a lot.  I was debating about dropping the leading edge slats until the superb Blackbird models replacement wing set came along and made the whole job a lot simpler!  I cut the tabs off the elevators and attached some metal rod to position them at a more typical on-the-ground angle, and extended the intake inside with some paper and plastic card.  The paints are Vallejo metallics, the national markings are from the kit (behaving surprisingly well despite their age) and the individual aircraft and squadron markings from Modeldecal sheet 69.  I’m pretty pleased with this one.

resized_e96da672-77e3-451c-8b4c-95bbdc82

resized_1de43e43-5dde-4643-95b3-1e182108

resized_bdfb1b02-2cb6-4c0e-835c-1b960203

resized_b60ed154-fde6-4e70-80a2-cd7db004

resized_ad9c3fd7-e031-4556-a3ea-b0ca4dbf

resized_ee5101bd-0d7c-4076-9e16-f0ba35dd

resized_dcb64306-ade7-45dc-b05b-8c9a9981

resized_0053a507-8c1e-4ecd-988d-790edbff

resized_33675ed6-3d70-4d62-bf23-3d2e25e4

resized_d7b6e5ed-e724-4cf4-846d-a5148544

resized_59826f70-f906-4aa3-ae88-369d588d

resized_bb66e9a3-b8d1-48f4-b12a-ee64906a

• Like 55

Hi,

this is one of the best 1/72 F-100D that I have seen. 

Everything is top class, and the overheated section near the exhaust is splendidly done!

Congrats!

JR

• Like 2

A very nice build, the Esci kit was very well received when it came out. I built a USAFE D for a branch display many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

To be honest, jet aren't really my thing, but can I just say that your F-100 is absolutely superb!

Your observation of the variation in metal tone due to heat discoloration, and how you've translated it into model form is incredible and totally convincing, as indeed is your rendition of the overall NMF. The weathering is subtle and and totally in keeping with an aircraft in use.

Beautiful artistry!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jean said:

Hi,

this is one of the best 1/72 F-100D that I have seen. 

Everything is top class, and the overheated section near the exhaust is splendidly done!

Congrats!

JR

18 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Fantastic NMF on your Hun. :goodjob:

Chris

18 hours ago, basket said:

I remember this kit was considered as  gem when it was released . It still is and your work on it is very convincing .

And ... it's a french one . Good choice for that also .

16 hours ago, Mr T said:

A very nice build, the Esci kit was very well received when it came out. I built a USAFE D for a branch display many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

16 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

To be honest, jet aren't really my thing, but can I just say that your F-100 is absolutely superb!

Your observation of the variation in metal tone due to heat discoloration, and how you've translated it into model form is incredible and totally convincing, as indeed is your rendition of the overall NMF. The weathering is subtle and and totally in keeping with an aircraft in use.

Beautiful artistry!

Cheers,

Mark

12 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice :). That Esci kit still builds up well :)

Martin

11 hours ago, RAGATIGER said:

Martin very nice kit indee, Great Job

Armando

5 hours ago, dragan_mig31 said:

Great job.I love it.

5 hours ago, Wez said:

What a superb Hun, you've done a cracking job there, well done!

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

That does look great especially the tarnished areas which look spot on.

1 hour ago, BerndM said:

Excellent result.

The metal shades look spot on.

1 hour ago, Jackman said:

The dropped slats really add life to your superb model.

39 minutes ago, Sky Keg said:

Excellent results especially the always complex exhaust section found on Super Sabres.  :goodjob:

Mike

Thank you all for your very kind comments - I really appreciate it.

It took me a lot of study of the techniques of the many excellent modellers on this site before I felt ready to tackle a Super Sabre, especially the scorched rear fuselage.  I've learnt so much from this site and am grateful for the willingness of others to share their work and methods.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BerndM said:

Looks like the resin wings are pretty hard to get.

17 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

Excellent job on the Hun, first class build and finish !

Wulfman

Thanks Gents, you are most kind!

You are right @BerndM, they seem to sell out very quickly on the Blackbird Models site, so snap them up if you see them.  An alternative I thought about was to get a Trumpeter F-100 to donate its wings, which I understand fit OK but would be an expensive solution ... or just live with the raised slats 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vultures1 said:

An alternative I thought about was to get a Trumpeter F-100 to donate its wings, which I understand fit OK but would be an expensive solution ...

Not only an expensive solution but I believe the Trumpeter kit's wings are too thin. ESCI got it right.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 2:43 PM, Vesa Jussila said:

Nicely done Hun. I like paint finish and burned area near engine looks good. You have done excellent work from old kit. I have same kit waiting. 

10 hours ago, F-32 said:

That looks spot on, very nicely done indeed

2 hours ago, loloskymaster said:

Very good result on this french F-100!👍

Lolo 

2 hours ago, viperchief said:

Superb Super Sabre!

Thank you for your comments gents, most kind!  The Esci kit is an oldie but a goodie - a really nice basis to work from

• Thanks 1