Flickr Problems on iPhone

Max Headroom

I’m in a bit of a quandary.

I exclusively use my iPhone SE for taking photos of my builds. At present these are stored on Flickr. So far so good. I recently started seeing warnings that my 1000 free photo limit was near. Checking via my pc I saw that I was just over 900. Ho hum, bite the bullet and go pro I suppose.

Just before parting with my money though, I discovered that I can’t upload any more photos. I can access my account and even download photos already there. However, when I go to my photos on the phone, press the upload icon and select the photo, the upload page briefly appears and then closes. I tried logging out and then back in and even uninstalling the app and reloading it, but it makes no difference. The loading page will show and immediately shut off!

I’ve reported it to Flickr, but so far their background tinkering hasn’t done anything.

So what to do? Anyone with the same problem or clues as to what to do?

Trevor

I haven't used Flickr, though I have been following someone who posts their late father's collection.

I notice they are making changes, with things like QR codes, so you can watch 'on the go'

Probably means I won't be able to access them any more, as I don't do this weird stuff.

• Sad 1

If you haven't already, reboot your phone and see whether that clears the issue.  it's Settings > General > Shutdown in case you didn't know, and don't forget you'll need to swipe right to confirm, then remember to reboot it with a long press on the button after giving it a few seconds for the "bad ether" to dissipate. 🪄 Other than that, I'm out of ideas unless you either Google it or look on their support forums, which I'm sure they probably have for mutual support so they don't have to :ninja:

• Like 1

@Mike thanks, just tried that but it hasn’t worked. I switch off my phone at night anyway (long press of the button on the right hand side and swipe right) but that’s not worked.

If all else fails, I’ll need to get another app. Maybe even back to Photobucket and pay for It this time 🤣

Trevor

I have to say I ditched the Flickr iOS app ages ago. I use the site through Safari using the standard web interface. That said, I use an iPad and not an iPhone.

I would also add that the pro option is worth the cost - from my point of view, anyway. I’m uploading lots of progress images and I reckon it’s paid for itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you wish to keep sharing your photos for free and in a reliable manner, I suggest you change to Imgur. I've been using it for the past 2 years and so far it's been a great experience. 

I know money isn't the main issue here. But Imgur is easier to use than Flickr. Upload the photo, click on it, open the sharing button and copy the link, you then paste it in here and the photo shows up.

Did I already mention it's free?

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 1

I only use the desktop or browser for Flickr, the app just doesn't allow uploads unless you upload every single photo on your phone, which I'm definitely not going to do. I use Android so can't help with the iOS issues I'm afraid. If you can keep using Flickr I would though, it's been amazing on Pro.

• Like 1

Are you uploading from the Photos app on the iPhone as in the first picture here or importing directly from the Flickr app as in the second picture?

1. Upload from Photos to Flickr

51453199613_a3c9150039_b.jpg

2. Import to Flickr from Photos

51452952766_9fdd8f1128_b.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi @Avereda

I’ve always used the first option ie the square with upwards pointing arrow. Didn’t know about the other and can’t see it on my phone. I press the icon then scroll until I get to the Flickr option and press and then the magic happens…..

Trevor

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Hi @Avereda

I’ve always used the first option ie the square with upwards pointing arrow. Didn’t know about the other and can’t see it on my phone. I press the icon then scroll until I get to the Flickr option and press and then the magic happens…..

Trevor

The first option was the one I used to use on my iPad until an Apple update seemed to stop it working. I had to switch to option two whereby you’re starting with the Flickr app and haven’t had a problem since. The key (for me) is to start from the Flickr app - I’m not sure if that was clear in my previous post.

Troubles continue. I’ve given Flickr support my IOS update status and also the for the app.

At their suggestion I also successfully uploaded a picture from my pc (never uploaded from a pc before!)

Capture

yep that works too (apols if the pic above is someone’s copyright - I’ll remove it if asked)

We’ll see what transpires.

Trevor

• Like 1

Well I just had the killer reply from Flickr to the effect that they are aware of the problem and that their engineers are working on it. Looks like I’ll be twiddling my thumbs until such time some sort of patch is released.

So no visible updates on my builds for the foreseeable future.

Trevor

Good news everyone!

Although Flickr haven’t solved the problem (yet), they have given me three months free Pro upgrade 🥳.

So I tried it out. Whilst I still can’t do my preferred method, go to photo, open app and upload, I am now able to go to the app, press the + at the bottom of the screen and to upload that way.

Now let’s see if I can post……

Ha ha

That’ll do 👍

Trevor

that is the vet up the road to me btw - someone put it up on the Friday night after closing and it stayed there for a week!

• Like 1

One final update from me on this topic. Flickr have confirmed to me that the problem is connected to the pop up saying you are near your limit. They are working on a fix but give no date as to when this will be fixed.

Im the meantime, contact their support and they may upgrade you like they did for me?

Trevor