Starling Models. HMS Rhyl 1/350

Faraway

21 minutes ago, Mike McCabe said:

Just seen this, it's coming along great Jon and yes, there is a typo with the paint colours!

Mike

Mike.

Thanks. I was a bit dubious at first, as I’ve never built a resin kit. But I’m enjoying the experience and I doubt it’ll be my last. It’s so nice to build a ship, without having to add extra detail sets. 
Jon

A little bit of rigging, just finished but not tidied up yet.

The Twin Vickers and paravanes added.

On a different note, I see Starling Models do HMT Sir Gareth.....................temptation get thee behind me. I think I really need to do something a bit bigger.

Jon

p?i=a9e126f3b64a467ccc7f06c288dccec9

p?i=b1795ef74b2c97899dae826254a3d7cf

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Looking real nice here already, but if you can do something that good in 8(?) days I think you may indeed need something a tad bigger. I'd be v interested to hear your thoughts after your first resin model as it'll doubtless be something I need to do in future.

David

David.

I didn’t realise I was making such quick progress.:surprised:it feels longer.

This being my first resin build, I inevitably made a few mistakes, but they were correctable. There isn’t as much building to do, as the hull and deck and some of the superstructure are in one moulding, which, for me made masking and painting a fiddle. Needed a bit more planning. 
Once I’d built the bridge and assembled the masts, funnel etc, it was really a case of fitting either tiny resin or PE parts to their correct places. I did find that it was worth drilling very shallow holes to fit the ventilators and other deck fittings, this made them much more secure. Also, of course, the type of glue is different, I’m allergic to CA, so have to use Epoxy, PVA or UV, which of course, for the first two take time to set. So if you can use CA, I guess it would make assembly a bit easier.

I have to say though, I am enjoying building this ship, despite its size and will definitely be looking to build more resin kits. I sort of tempted by this

https://starling-models.co.uk/collections/1-350-resin-kits-royal-navy-1919-1946/products/hms-sir-gareth

I do like the slightly unusual and get away from the glamour of Battleships etc.

If I have one criticism of resin kits, it’s the cost, they do seem to be more expensive. But, considering you don’t have the added expense of adding PE and 3D detail sets, I guess this evens it out.

So, if you haven’t built a resin kit, I highly recommend the experience. It’s a nice challenge. 
Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jon, I have Sir Gareth in my “to build “ section/stash it’s a lovely little ship (approx 118 mm in length) so a lot smaller than Langley. 
what ever you decide on I am sure it will turn out great. 
Martin 

Edited by Mcdood
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mcdood said:

Hi Jon, I have Sir Gareth in my “to build “ section/stash it’s a lovely little ship (approx 118 mm in length) so a lot smaller than Langley. 
what ever you decide on I am sure it will turn out great. 
Martin 

I must be mad, but just ordered ‘Sir Gareth’. Although I have a couple of modern warships in the ‘pile’ so might do one of those before it.
Jon

if you need something a bit bigger , I have just the ship for you jon . 

sorry mate I was talking about the ship I'm doing , the trumpeter 1/200 missouri , it's a tad larger .

Edited by steve5
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, steve5 said:

sorry mate I was talking about the trumpeter 1/200 , missouri . it's a little bit larger .

There’s large and there’s LARGE. That’s 20” longer than my work bench.

Luckily, it WAY out of my price range. 
Jon

All done.

Thanks to all of you who have joined me for this voyage, your company has been more than welcome. As has your guidance and advice.

I like to think I'm getting better at this ship building malarky, but I'll let you be the judge of that.

Jon

10 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

Pray tell what's next?

Indeed, what’s next. Well first, clean the work bench. It does look like a bomb site. Then, I have no idea.

I have these to choose from

MIRAGE 1/350 HMS Anchusa

TRUMPETER 1/350 USS England 

TRUMPETER 1/350 HMS Montrose Type 23 Frigate

TRUMPETER 1/350 HMS Daring Type 45 Destroyer 

HOBBYBOSS 1/350 ‘Dunkerque’

and possibly another one, which I’m in the process of buying from a fellow BMer.

Although, I’m leaning towards one of the modern ones. Suggestions welcome.

Jon

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mcdood said:

Jon, for goodness sake’s will you slow down, your giving me a complex. 
Martin. 

Oh come on. It was only a little‘un........🤣🤣

Jon

• Haha 1

On 16/09/2021 at 17:03, Faraway said:

hat follows next is my attempt at a sea surface. I'm not convinced :shrug: so I would be most appreciative of your views and criticism, please.

And be honest. I can take it.

Jon

I know it is a little late but I am playing catch up on BM while on leave this week after a few months being very hectic at work.

I think the two observations I would make are that:

1.  Getting a realistic sea scape is probably the hardest thing to do in ship modelling, but to my mind it really sets the models off to their best effect.  You've done a very good job.

2.  The most important thing to consider is where in the world is the model representing because contrary to most people's expectations, the sea is more often that not, not blue (sorry for the double negative).  I think, though am very happy to be corrected, that the colour is largely driven by microscopic algal growth and there is more green algae in cooler waters.  I know that RHYL was operating in the North Sea is 1941/42 but don't know whether she spent her entire career there or not.  The North Sea is definitely not blue - more a sort of murky green/grey with browns added the closer you get to the great estuaries like the Thames and Humber or in harbours.  The North Atlantic is much the same, predominantly greens with just the slightest hint of blue.  The further south you go, the bluer it gets.  Looking at the finished product in RFI, the colours you've got are very typical for the Mediterranean around Malta or Crete in summer.

Hope that helps.  Please don't take this in any way as criticism as you have created a cracking model.

incidentally, when I first saw the title of this thread I got very excited thinking that Mike had produced a 1/350 Rothesay class frigate!

• Like 1