Chipping fluid question

Swiftnbold

Regardless of name they all work in the same way.  Essentially they form a barrier between paint layers to make the top layer easier to remove without damaging the lower layer.  Not sure you get a better product for a greater price, taking different sizes into account.

There are a couple of washable paints out there (MiG, AK Interactive).  These can be used without chipping product but are probably easier to use with it.  You use water to loosen the paint before scrubbing, abrading etc.  AK Interactive make a washable medium you can add to their paints to achieve the same effect, but be aware that it dilutes the paint.  Don't know if it is cross-brand compatible.

But all of the products only replicate the effect that can be achieved with cheap hairspray, as noted above.  A technique often used with hairspray is salt sprinkling.  The salt is applied while the hairspray is wet and then brushed and rubbed off to reveal the under colour.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Swiftnbold said:

Can they be brushed on or is spraying the only recommendation?

Can salt chipping be done using these fluids?

Thanks guys.

Peter has got it just right there when he said about over priced chipping fluids, you get the same if not better results using a cheep hairspray

I you want to see hairspray being used for chipping go on youtube and search for Panzermister36 he does a how to and also Michael Rinaldi hairspray technique

Never tried to brush on chipping fluid so I could not say, I only ever sprayed it on but found I need two coats 

Hairspray you can decant it and spray it through a airbrush or just spry it from the can it comes in 

Salt Chipping is a different to using chipping fluid,  its normally used by aircraft modellers and its a great way to to get the patchy weathered effect seen on US Navy Jets normally you wet the area with water where you are going to apply the salt (Sea Salt not table salt) let it dry, now this is after applying your base colour, you then spray a lighter or darker shade of the base colour let it dry then wash off the salt with water (Never thought about using it with Hairspray thanks Peter must give it a try)

Again you best bet is to look on youtube so you and see it all being done

Hope this helps