Ta 152 - looking for info on Sattler's a/c

Werdna

Hi all

Long shot, but here goes.  I've just acquired another couple of 1/48 Ta152 kits (one Italeri and one Trimaster/Dragon boxing).  I thought about building one in the markings of Sepp Sattler, who was KIA while in a Ta152 on 14/4/45.

Having looked into this a bit, I can find nothing on Kracker, TOCH or any other Luftwaffe resource which might give me an indication of the tactical number of the aircraft that Sattler was flying that day.  Presumably these were green codes, by then.  Realistically, all I need is the fuselage number, although the WNr would also be the icing on the cake, so to speak.

Can anyone help, or point towards the correct info?  Thanks in advance :) 

Ofw. Sepp Sattler belonged to the Stabschwarm of the Geschwaderstab of JG 301 which had green numbers. I am afraid it is not recorded what Ta 152 he flew when he was lost. The following Ta 152 individual numbers of the Stabschwarm of the Geschwaderstab of JG 301 are known:

Green 5, Green 8, Green 9

Kjetil

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kjetil Åkra said:

Ofw. Sepp Sattler belonged to the Stabschwarm of the Geschwaderstab of JG 301 which had green numbers. I am afraid it is not recorded what Ta 152 he flew when he was lost. The following Ta 152 individual numbers of the Stabschwarm of the Geschwaderstab of JG 301 are known:

Green 5, Green 8, Green 9

Kjetil

Thanks Troy and Kjetil :) 

Kjetil, I've seen many references to Green 9, 1 and 4, IIRC - but I don't think I've seen reference to 5 and 8 before.  While I've no doubt there was indeed a green 5 and 8, can I ask where you have seen those references?  Presumably one of the books by Mr Crandall or others (which I don't have, sadly)..

1 hour ago, Werdna said:

Thanks Troy and Kjetil :) 

Kjetil, I've seen many references to Green 9, 1 and 4, IIRC - but I don't think I've seen reference to 5 and 8 before.  While I've no doubt there was indeed a green 5 and 8, can I ask where you have seen those references?  Presumably one of the books by Mr Crandall or others (which I don't have, sadly)..

The best info on the operations of the Ta 152 is actually Axel Urbanke's long article in Luftwaffe im Focus No. 29. I strongly reccomend you get hold of it because it dispell some myths and sets the records straight on several counts. That's where I got my info.

Kjetil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Werdna said:

Cheers both.  Issue 29 is in the post to me as I type.. :) 

You’ll enjoy it. Urbanke has used pilots logbooks to determine aircraft numbers and offers a detailed plausible explanation of how the aircraft were deployed. 

SD

• Like 2

On 11/09/2021 at 23:11, Kjetil Åkra said:

The best info on the operations of the Ta 152 is actually Axel Urbanke's long article in Luftwaffe im Focus No. 29. I strongly reccomend you get hold of it because it dispell some myths and sets the records straight on several counts. That's where I got my info.

Kjetil

He'd already been reccomended to purchase this by myself back in June 2020. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Werdna said:

'He' must have missed that, or possibly just forgotten about it.  We got there in the end though, eh..

Sometimes we need to be reminded! Especially about aviation books, there is so much we want to get hold of, right!? 🙂

• Like 3

Please take a look at this discussion about Sepp Sattler's aircraft from a German web page in 2004.The confusion about Luftwaffe colours and markings continues.🙂

https://modellboard.net/index.php?topic=8093.0

Saluti

Giampiero

Edited by GiampieroSilvestri
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Please take a look at this discussion about Sepp Sattler's aircraft from a German web page in 2004.The confusion about Luftwaffe colours and markings continues.🙂

https://modellboard.net/index.php?topic=8093.0

Saluti

Giampiero

Although the site this links to is genuine, there's a link in post 3 "Gelbe 1" that links to a kinky sex site, so you've been warned.  You're all grown-ups (in terms of years on this planet at least), so I'll leave it to you to click at your own risk. :shrug: Cue that site getting huge increase in traffic now :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

I am sorry and excuse myself in every way for that.I have only seen the links to aircraft related pages and did not know that the link that was posted by the person who answered in 2004 is to a unappropriate page.Because it is marked with Il2 I thought that it is for a flight simulator.I have not opened it as I am not interested in flight simulations.I hope that nobody feels insulted.

Please accept all my apologies.

Saluti

Giampiero+Christian

Edited by GiampieroSilvestri
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

I am sorry and excuse myself in every way for that.I have only seen the links to aircraft related pages and did not know that the link that was posted by the person who answered in 2004 is to a unappropriate page.Because it is marked with Il2 I thought that it is for a flight simulator.I have not opened it as I am not interested in flight simulations.I hope that nobody feels insulted.

Saluti

Giampiero+Christian

The link was almost certainly genuine back in 2004.  It's not unusual for old threads to get hijacked like that, or for web domains to be re-directed - especially after that long.  

I built Ta152H 'yellow 1' last year and it's currently sitting behind me on the shelf.  I will never look at it in quite the same way again.. ;) 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Saluti

Giampiero+Christian

You've got nothing to be sorry for. :yes: Imagine if you had to test every link in every link you ever linked to.  Too many links in that sentence?  :shrug:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mike said:

Although the site this links to is genuine, there's a link in post 3 "Gelbe 1" that links to a kinky sex site, so you've been warned.  You're all grown-ups (in terms of years on this planet at least), so I'll leave it to you to click at your own risk. :shrug: Cue that site getting huge increase in traffic now :rolleyes:

I didn't look, promise!! 🙂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bob C. said:

Werdna, 

Have you posted this question on Hyperscale?  There's a gent named G R Morrison who is astoundingly learned in this area.  He might respond to you.

Good luck, Bob C

Hi Bob - no, not posted on Hyperscale (I'm not registered over there), but I think GRM is also a member on here, so I look forward to anything he may be able to add in due course.

Also to add - my copy of Luftwaffe im Focus No. 29 arrived in the post today.  Not had a chance to look at it properly yet, but on first glance the info it contains looks extremely impressive, a proper gold mine.. :) 

• Like 1

Bob C,

Thank you for your kind words, but I've nothing more to contribute.  The dilemma for ascertaining a detail like this is multifold -- the Quartermaster's Loss Reports don't include it (Gen.Qu.6.Abt. reports conclude in late March; some individual Luftflotte records, such as those in the war diary of Luftflotte 6 go to mid-April, but this unit was not in their operational domain), Luftwaffe records and documents are fragmentary (the late Austrian archivist Horst Boos reliably estimated that 97% of Luftwaffe documentation is irretrievably lost); and the only likely place to find it would be Ofw. Sattler's Flugbuch -- and I do not know if it has survived.  I don't have a copy.

There's much we're just never going to know, even though some 'gems' still find their way to the surface on occasion.

GRM

• Like 6