Phantom Pharewell colors

Anatol Pigwa

Hi everyone,

I drifted over from the plane builder forum. I am currently planning to build a the Bundesluftwaffe  Pharewell Phantom (Image shamelessly grabbed from the masm.fr website)

Airdoc-F-4F-37+01-Pharewel-b.JPG

I wonder,  since the color call-outs are Honda vivid blue and Peugeot Heliodor Gold (therefore my post here), if there might be a dedicated airbrushable paint I could use in lieu of the mix described in the instructions above?

Thank you for any help in advance.

Hi Anatol, I don't know about aircraft colours but Hiroboy offer a colour matched service to car modellers here : Link   Maybe you would find something useful. Colours are supposed to be  airbrush ready.

Dave

• Like 1

Hiroboy do list Honda vivid blue in the Civic Type R section;

https://www.hiroboy.com/Honda_Civic_Type_R_Paints_60ml--product--10610.html

They don't list the gold however.

When I'm looking for specific car colours I also search e-bay for full size car touch up paint (which is basically what hiroboy sells)

I found this, but not sure if it's exactly what you want;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114794289092?hash=item1aba45d7c4:g:wZoAAOSwYxFgkpSM

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124710615519?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1d0954f9df:g:fcEAAOSwXq5gkqPz&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACoPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSxXDXcCydCuSj2Tq2S%2F3Gnv2ezRk1i0Mu334Jcsc%2F9DH5%2B658%2BCVzktdxjx4U9rEG89q3ak4lJOsmgbUG3mCtC8dUizWd9GOVJRNRKzHQrpvKz5xtxwdb3bcUiZoE%2Bbw0RSi68GoQn78nuvN0D8BqmwJq8idhP7GmzW6XNlEp3OU%2Fh2CX4bPS8%2Bk%2FEXfc2W1u8SqcV9TEDC5Dse8E2OkkvnVnMYOU%2B6iRUtcpFEp2x79IWU08fpy7tnfhhB8001szTZW0wWa6rL4REfOyKzxrq0JGHyiKMj7CEjPaFyC21bTPE59ZQof4uQOEfeAnp9Uq99UIY8QhYtAyb63fkJkukiikQyTshcmQNhonsoMqp1irVirvjPxh9c0zWJnitP%2FrWLjjOWpn8Ju6LjpwWKv9OPwPrMCEaTQlggzageVJZtodh4z4tieXDimonlzyP1ygDyJHKxA%2FVJq85fIyL2ea5q38Fa%2FVftxo50w7a5SR5iKrlkusiewzQ1DrMmFbE1sIYonPUVtwCLjgEq%2F4ivrAqV3hAgp9AmoHbGZ%2FiT0D%2F6amBA%2Bs435rHsAR7LCPACZVycCf092%2BGg55MLa8og9h0yK9q3EVf4TSGlNxEawWT4aFH1WZ5ArWSO1Oyhseke5DYtm4UlDEE0NkoW10Cv9CpDgrOvWR80V1JcJ97DqgBQetTfvYbZR0ZyA5tuoT6WXpltvl0tNy7eiRrF%2Bz72fYFCAom0QhO7rHFLeVZEgl4iF6hnmFDFh1szPkxzEPCa7XLLXqeBVKulaVRJ8JhZc%2FPHnIZIU6CCBKPlT%2BXBUVfXuaVjUlr96QB%2Ba8qDPb4AmEhW7pmJAhqUAovq27NO7aQg%3D%3D|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

Keith

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Hi, folks. 

Might be worth pointing out that this has been started in the "Vehicke" section. You could get a Moderator to move it to the aircraft section. 

Cheers. 

Chris. 

I think if you read the original post it's been intentionally posted here as the aircraft in question was painted in car paint so that's what the poster is asking for info on! :)

Keith

• Like 1

Here in Finland you can get those touch up paints from car paint stores. Or on rattle can or kind of what you need.

They produce those paints from demand, only you need to know is paint code. And you can thin it with thinner,here in Finland they offer correct thinner also, in package size you need

Don't know policy of your country, but I think it's worth looking for. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

Do you have any experience how well these paints mesh with a modelling airbrush?

The Zero paints are fine to use through an airbrush, including their metallics, which as I mentioned are basically car touch up paint in smaller bottles. I have used non metallic car touch up paint off e-bay, but not metallics I'm afraid so I can't say about the ones I linked to. One thing I should mention about both types of paint is that they are 'hot' laquers, so you need a good primer coat on your model and ONLY spray them in light coats giving them 5-10 minutes between coats otherwise you might run the risk of damaging the plastic. Also they need to be cleaned out of your airbrush with laquer thinner, so it could damage airbrush o-rings that aren't solvent proof such as PTFE ones.

Keith

• Thanks 1

If you can get the paint code from Peugeot, then Zero paints will make it for you, airbrush ready. They use smaller flakes scaled for modelling & pre-thinned for an airbrush. I’ve always had good results & got them to make me a BMW Stratus Mica which was delivered before I’d finished preparing all my parts 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Mansfield said:

They use smaller flakes scaled for modelling

Not always in their standard range, if you ask for a pearl or mica special mix then they usually do. I've found paints just listed as metallic use normal 1:1 size flakes...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Not always in their standard range, if you ask for a pearl or mica special mix then they usually do. I've found paints just listed as metallic use normal 1:1 size flakes...

That’s interesting. The BMW Mica paint I used, the flakes were tiny compared to a Mercedes metallic I’d got from Halfords for a previous build. That’s about the only comparison I can make. My Lamborghini Oracio Metallic from Zero Paints also seemed to have scale appropriate flakes.

this is is what Zero say on their website: 

The colours are mixed using a formula which guarantees a perfect reproduction of the original colour. We do however, scale down paints with large metallic flakes to suit scale models.

It doesn’t say they scale down all their metal flakes, just the paints where the original has large flakes 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hello Anatol.

I also wanted to do a Phantom Pharewell 37+01. Searching for reference I stumbled on this thread. So now I'm wondering if you have made any progress in the last 5 months on the matter of colors?

The zeropaints from Hiroboy seems promising with them beeing optimised for airbrush modelling and all. But I am wondering if  [ Honda Civic Type R Paints - Vivid Blue Pearl B520P ] is actually the same as [ Honda Vivid Blue Metallic No 031781 ] ? Can anyone confirm this please?
I'm having trouble finding anything on the [ Peugot Heliodor-Metallic Gold No 034923 ]. When googeling I get more results for 'peugeot c1 jaune heliodor' which AFAIK means yellow not gold. Also more hits on 'Citroen heliodor~' which kindoff matches on some pictures >.<
Logic would have it to buy a gold paint from the same manufacturer of the vivid blue as to minimize chances for missfortune, ie Zeropaints. While trying to look at pictures of vehicles of these colors in sunlight: Would these bee good matches for the Phantom?
https://www.zero-paints.com/Gold_Paint_Similar_to_TS21_60ml--product--95.html
https://www.zero-paints.com/Lotus_56B_Gold_Paint_60ml--product--202.html  Perhaps a bit dark?
https://www.zero-paints.com/Sun_Gold_Mica_Pearl_Paint_30ml--product--8064.html  Is this to reflective?
https://www.zero-paints.com/Candy_Gold_Pearl_Paint_30ml--product--356.html  To much candy/bright?

\\Dan

Edited by Zippo the Zipdrive