Finnish lysander

Hewy

46 minutes ago, Hewy said:

The kit got rave reviews craig, thats what i don't  understand, granted once built it can  be a looker (in the right hands) but the few builds I've  seen don't  really mention the downright poor instructions (short run or not) and I'm not a learner but the kit is quite  challenging , I'll  have a decent update tommorow in better light for pictures,fuselage together,wheel struts on ,the superb little sbs resin mercury engine is painted up, the wheel struts needed the mounting holes enlarging, and the two panels that fit underneath the fuselage needed a lot of fettling, but thats the way i expect this kit to be now ,saying that I'm  finding it difficult to put down ,I'm  ,I'm thoroughly enjoying it ,but definitly not a shake and bake, at this rate build number2 will be started soon 👍

I have no doubt that the end result will be stunning mate. I take great issue with reviews that are anything but honest by not shining a light on whatever issues a kit might have, whether it be inaccuracies, bad fit or poor instructions and would much rather read about another modellers genuine experiences of a kit, and that is another reason why Britmodeller is such a good site.

• Like 1

Totally agree craig👍

Little lizzy,

Engine is painted, a bit better than the blob

SricqCd.jpeg

Fits in the cowl unaltered

pApCMdy.jpeg

The fuselage is built up and together,and the wheel struts on too ,to be fair the fairing over the wheels went on faultless, you do have the option of open wheels/fairings removed

NMBQe7M.jpeg

Ip and bels in place 

rSyZ8wE.jpeg

And alongside the second part of my choice the gb ,i may make a start on the fokker come the weekend, that'll  be 4 models built over the 2 gbs all on skis🤗

FJamtkh.jpeg

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 12

1 minute ago, PattheCat said:

"A little better" ??? I call it a great paint job on this engine.

Nice progress. Keep it going like that. I'm sure I'll very much like the end result.

Pat

Thanks pat, I'm  currently working out the best way to build up the canopy from muliple parts mount the wings to it and set them ready for the wing support struts🤯

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dansk said:

That radial is superb Glynn!

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I agree, the replacement engine looks fantastic Glynn, great painting on it mate.

Fuselage has gone together very well by the looks of it too.

Cheers fellas i agree the resin engine is a major improvement over the kit blob

I've  just about fettled the 7 part canopy to fit ,the front screen did fit ,the other parts didn't, its slow going to avoid the gluey fingerprints on the clear parts

• Like 3

The fitting of the cockpit glazing has been a success, if a bit stressfull and time consuming, I've  completed the interior, and cut in the grooves to fit the little winglets, god knows how i forgot those

N4uFo7G.jpeg

Canopy parts built up ,and fettled to fit 

T1cW18a.jpeg

In place and ready to glue after a dip in clear

omnE6LN.jpeg

Wings built up and the little kora resin skis have to be separated from the pour block

Gs2uIvz.jpeg

Cheers all

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, PattheCat said:

Yepee! And after putting the glass on, don't forget to enjoy 

Absolutely pat, I've  just been and got one of my favourite tipples " plum porter"

Cheers

• Like 1

20 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Nice work Glynn, the Lysander's glazing is very important and you have got yours on very cleanly.

Thanks craig , i tried the kit supplied mask set but unfortunately it was a no go, it wouldn't  conform to even the slightest curve and just kept lifting round the edges, as you say the lizzy canopy is important and to be honest I'm not up to the task of masking this one,so i dispatched an order for an eduard mask set, anyway I gave it a lick of paint yesterday afternoon and today, next mask up and a  coat of pink for the yellow bits 😏

iq7fn6S.jpeg

VtuGcdt.jpeg

• Like 12

38 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Great job on the masking and painting mate, really neat.

Love this colour scheme and it suits the Lizzie very well.

It does mate, i don't  want to go ott on the weathering on this one  , i mixed in gloss to the main colours thats why its got a sheen, i jumped ahead of myself a bit because i still have to drill  locating brass pins in the wing to accept the front of the strut that attaches to the wing  ,the kits locating point is far too shallow,  I found a couple of builds online and it seems the way to go, fingers crossed,

• Like 3

gee she looks nice with a coat of paint on!! 

Were they vinyl masks you were trying to use? Those things are horrible, anything other than a pure flat surface and they are useless plus as they get old the shrink. 

And I agree that engine looks lovely, well done on it.

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

gee she looks nice with a coat of paint on!! 

Were they vinyl masks you were trying to use? Those things are horrible, anything other than a pure flat surface and they are useless plus as they get old the shrink. 

And I agree that engine looks lovely, well done on it.

Yes rich dora supply vinyl masks in the kit, it wasn't  until i tried them i realised they weren't up to the job, 

Thanks ,the little engine went together really well , i thought you'd   appreciate a dash of resin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Yes rich dora supply vinyl masks in the kit, it wasn't  until i tried them i realised they weren't up to the job, 

Thanks ,the little engine went together really well , i thought you'd   appreciate a dash of resin

Eduard masks are not cheap but that's indeed the way to go when you can't or don't want to make your own out of tape.

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

I think everyone knows my affection...... addiction for resin!!!  :wub:    :D 

• Haha 2

On 10/4/2021 at 5:29 PM, Hewy said:

Thanks pat, I'm  currently working out the best way to build up the canopy from muliple parts mount the wings to it and set them ready for the wing support struts🤯

This was the bit I was looking forward to seeing how it should be done.

The engine looks great. I might go and buy one for my Dora Lysander.

Also need to get better masks too.. It is quite a shopping list :)

Edited by Richard Tucker
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Richard Tucker said:

seeing how it should be done.

Sorry richard, front canopy was glued on first  with thin..and i used white glue on the sides and left it to dry .you can line it up with the front of the canopy.then the top part can glued on with thin . Then take it off and glue in the part that  supports the wings . Dont try and fit that part before fitting the canopy because . You guessed it .it wnt fit . Then you can use the one piece rear part. every part needs fine tuning though.it wont fit oob.

I think the engine is a must . Don't even try with the kit supplied exaust collecor ring.  That bit Doesn't even nearly fit .yes unfortunately eduard masks are needed. The dora ones are useless.  

• Like 2

Decals on and some final assembly  next,

The pe  cowl cooling flap strip was fitted by sticking foil adhesive pieces on the inside of the plastic cowling and sticking the pe part to that and then wicking ca in the gaps from the rear, I'll  post a better pic before assembling 

90pXia4.jpeg

• Like 11

Thanks  craig,  sorry to read about your hs126, I've  still got my stuts to do ,so there may be 2 crash dioramas yet , painting in gloss with the yellow was a sure fire mistake, even on H's pink primer ,the gloss yellow in mr hobbys aqueous range is akin to tamiya smoke ,and clear red,  i had to put it on heavy  ,and you can see it has  leached under the tape , also you've  probably  noticed the numbers on the side in green are a little lighter than the painted green, i hope to rectify that with oils after final  assembly,  btw  had an hour in mikes today🙄

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Thanks  craig,  sorry to read about your hs126, I've  still got my stuts to do ,so there may be 2 crash dioramas yet , painting in gloss with the yellow was a sure fire mistake, even on H's pink primer ,the gloss yellow in mr hobbys aqueous range is akin to tamiya smoke ,and clear red,  i had to put it on heavy  ,and you can see it has  leached under the tape , also you've  probably  noticed the numbers on the side in green are a little lighter than the painted green, i hope to rectify that with oils after final  assembly,  btw  had an hour in mikes today🙄

Cheers mate, the Hs-126 is just one of those things unfortunately, bit cheesed off about it though.

One of the things about the Finnish codes being in the camo colours is that the decals don't often match the paint perfectly, but as you say I am sure that a bit of oil and weathering will sort it out.

How was the hour at Mikes, expensive?