Finnish lysander

Hewy

19 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

How was the hour at Mikes, 

Sometimes kits  just don't come together craig do they,

cheers pal the green is fully recoverable, mikes was a good visit,i already have a 48th hobbyboss F/A-18 and some superb aggressor splinter decals, but i couldn't  resist the 1/48 kinetic gold F/A-18D atars boxing, the cartograph decals alone are awsome, for a little over £40 ,and i picked up a little (big) avro Vulcan,only when you get the sprues out of the bag do you remember how big it is, i had a go at one in the mid nineties that never got finished!,lets hope this one at least gets started,cheers mate and all the best with the hs-126

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

Thanks  craig,  sorry to read about your hs126, I've  still got my stuts to do ,so there may be 2 crash dioramas yet , painting in gloss with the yellow was a sure fire mistake, even on H's pink primer ,the gloss yellow in mr hobbys aqueous range is akin to tamiya smoke ,and clear red,  i had to put it on heavy  ,and you can see it has  leached under the tape , also you've  probably  noticed the numbers on the side in green are a little lighter than the painted green, i hope to rectify that with oils after final  assembly,  btw  had an hour in mikes today🙄

Hi. Did you use Gunze aqueous RLM04 (H413 - semi-gloss)? I never had a problem with that one if applied over a white base.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Hi. Did you use Gunze aqueous RLM04 (H413 - semi-gloss)? I never had a problem with that one if applied over a white base.

Yes pat,thats the yellow i have ,i reckon it was user error,too thin maybe

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hewy said:

1/48 kinetic gold F/A-18D atars boxing, the cartograph decals alone are awsome, for a little over £40

Sounds like a very good choice, I have one of the earlier Kinetic boxings and might build it for the STGB early next year. I really like Hornets and would even like a couple of Super Hornets to add to the collection.

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

Yes pat,thats the yellow i have ,i reckon it was user error,too thin maybe

Nothing done wrong methinks. I also apply well thinned layers with that colour and let it dry overnight before the final one(s).

• Thanks 1

My fav reseller is 50 km away so I buy online from him (never set a foot in the shop ... I feel I should but will I dare a ride into the Danger Zone?). Even so he is very helpful when I've got a "technical question over products and so on. . When I send a mail saying "you seem not to have this kit", his answer always  is "it's on order", Are all LHS owners prescient or telepathic?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Richard Tucker said:

Is this the same Mike that likes to part me with my money in Ashby :) I swear he buys kits in especially for me to buy.....

23 minutes ago, PattheCat said:

My fav reseller is 50 km away so I buy online from him (never set a foot in the shop ... I feel I should but will I dare a ride into the Danger Zone?). Even so he is very helpful when I've got a "technical question over products and so on. . When I send a mail saying "you seem not to have this kit", his answer always  is "it's on order", Are all LHS owners prescient or telepathic?

50 k is a good distance pat ,i like to see a face occasionally

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Yeah thats the one, has a nasty habit of stocking things that we want.

Yes one and the same, and he asked me if i wanted to order a certain 32nd scale lancaster, i respectfully declined but he still exracted £150 off me for other bits ,he's like dick turpin.... the build..still in parts, I'm  preparing for the final assembly and  , and I've done a bit of oils ,and flat coated it ,

Today  I've glued the  lysanders wing supports to the wheel struts  , it was a success!  I dare not touch it till they set ,the wings are only plugged in to the canopy and  balancing on the strut for alignment , i drilled a brass pin in the wing and pinned to the  front strut only, geometry looks good ,i can then remove the wings to demask the canopy , and start then  final steps

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Hewy said:

50 k is a good distance

I'm only 15 mins away and we often go to Ashby so he's always giving me great advice and parting me with my money :)  He knows I build 1/72 ww2 aircraft so when I walk in he'll happily tell me he has just got in stock an obscure biplane like the Vickers Vincent, one of the new Dora Lysanders or a Hawker Hart in Finnish markings. I'm helpless! :) 

The Hart will be next on the built bench,. The Lysander, Vincent and all the others I've bought from him will have to wait.

I can recommend the shop though. It is really small, but packed from floor to ceiling with my sort of model stuff (unlike many nowadays which seem to be about trains ).

• Like 2

Last update before i put it together

I've  done a tad of oils ,not too much ,and I've given it a coat of windsor and newton Galleria matt ,which isn't  totally matt but still gives a nice sheen , just enough  so as not to make it blackboard flat, wing struts are secure, and just about all painted ,only some small details left ,like the wing airel struts and  rigging and paint the rear ski assembly,  a few pics

m6CiDJr.jpeg

2SZsqoB.jpeg

EeOqjgb.jpeg

Engine looks good ,but the headlights not so, they weren't a great fitting part,

What i found out quite recently though was the only picture that  i found of 119 has its headlights covered, or painted over in a darker colour,   also  119 is a recce lizzy and hasn't got the winglets fitted, now i found this out very late, after the wing  struts were fitted and aligned,  and removing them would need some very gentle remedial work that this kit would not handle well (or the handler) so the  winglets stay ,but no pe,and bombs on the winglets ,the headlights will be masked and painted over ,which is a good job because they look terrible 

eTcRacj.jpeg

The pe cowl cooling flaps, is not the best fitting bit, dora have you butt joint it ,after you've  shaped it to the exact dimensions of the cowl with ca ,yeh right, my advise is to use little sections of foil tape , it sticks like the proverbial poop to a blanket and stick that around the inner cowling , don't use bits of plasticard,  there isn't enough play,  then once the pe part is rolled to give it a curve (don't have to be perfect)  stick it to the tape sections , close to the cowl then with thin ca from the rear  weep it in ,this part then  fits over the fuselage to the correct position 

A view inside 

w2Hpi3n.jpeg

You can just make out the little pins i put in the wings here to attach the front strut,  the rear one has no locating point identifiable on my kit so i left it to float and glue after, there is a bobble on the kit wing to locate the strut, but really this is a little less than useless ,do this and you can glue the struts in place by dry fitting the wing and resting it in the pin, once the struts are set you can handle the kit  a bit more ,which is essential to fitting the wings after painting, it sounds more trouble but its not

w4Za9rQ.jpeg

Cheers all 👍

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 13

50 minutes ago, PattheCat said:

Wow. You made a beauty out of a beast.

Impressive and I like the weathering much.

Congrats.

Pat.

11 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I agree with Pat, your Lizzies is looking absolutely fantastic Glynn.

The weathering looks spot on to me mate, very realistic.

She is going to look stunning when finished.

Thanks  fellas ,I've  just ca'd the wings on ,a hold the breath moment,  but it went well ,also , ski's on ,engine and cowling on, it's  just rigging and pics,  and on to special hobbys 72nd  fokker d.xxl 4.sarja  ,which i am really looking forward too,

More finnish fun ,thanks pat , thanks craig, not an easy kit to build , i appreciate it

• Like 2

I'm  calling lizzy done , I'm  pleased with how it turned out, it isn't the easiest kit to build ,but if your persistant ,it ends up decent representation i reckon, 

Thanks to all who've commented and liked the build along the way , it did spur me on  I'll try and do some better photos for the gallery when i get my second build done , cheers all

UGvgGk9.jpeg

wmzKA7o.jpeg

BvDIbrZ.jpeg

g4SIRiv.jpeg

6mCllre.jpeg

P0vGLd4.jpeg

56RPzG0.jpeg

• Like 12

11 hours ago, Duxford1985 said:

Hi Hewy will be following your build as I want to do eduard lysander next. 

Thanks for letting me know of the resin lysander engine in your build 😊

Adam 

Hi, cheers , sbs do a  very nice resin bristol mercury in 1/48 for the eduard/gavia kit, along with some other bits and bobs ,

this one is  a  1/72 dora wings kit ,