Finnish lysander

Hewy

The first of my 1/72  double for this gb, this the dora wings westland lysander, i have also the sbs decal sheet ,and the kora resin ski set,so i can build either the white camo version or the rather attractive camo one with siver dope undersides, that one will sit nicely along side the finnish gladiator i built in the first version of this gb ,I'm  starting it today while the gloss dries on the faded buff ready for decals

LPCQjlo.jpeg

• Like 17

Welcome along with a interesting choice and a fine looking model.

I haven't seen this model before and it looks rather nice from what i can see, and by what i have read an improvement over the old Airfix one (i built one f those a very long time ago, an my father built one of the original first releases.)

For me the Camo with ski's looks the best.

Will good luck with this build, I think there'll be quite a lot of interest in this build.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good choice, I do like the Lizzie.

I had the Eduard boxing for Finnish Lysanders but sold it. Too much photoetch and resin for my taste (cyano seems to irrestisibly be attracted by my fingers).

Curious to see how this one builds up. 

Wish you a great modelling time with that one.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Good choice, I do like the Lizzie.

I had the Eduard boxing for Finnish Lysanders but sold it. Too much photoetch and resin for my taste (cyano seems to irrestisibly be attracted by my fingers).

Curious to see how this one builds up. 

Wish you a great modelling time with that one.

Thanks , although the engine,  and exaust collector in particular haven't gone well, dora have you build up the engine by gluing on the resin collector ring which is a very delicate operation ,and then fitiing the cowling made up of three parts around it, ..well, you have to sand and trim the resin collector to within an inch of its miserable life before you fix it to the engine only to find the engine doesn't fit into the groove in the inner cowling that well either, and when you think they both fit,and  you put them together with ca ,only to find they still dont fit that well in the cowling,  after much fettling  ,when it came time to  fit permanently  the exausts ring had disintegrated,  so with the engine not that well molded anway i figured ,that the little aftermarket 72nd sbs resin bristol mercury engine that you can buy for the gladiator or blenhiem kits and   of superb quality  btw, would be infinitly better than the solid plastic blob and a pile of tiny resin bits that are oob, a few cosmetic changes and i reckon,hope ,nay pray all will fit, the engine arrived this week and I'll  build it up tonight🤗

Cockpit frame and seat went together well ,i used a fuselage side as a jig to make sure it was all square

kBQrcil.jpeg

The fuel tank locating nub was removed from the other side to aid test fitting,this was difficult to locate properly, so i snipped it off

FTDxrXc.jpeg

Not my finest hour ,the  kit engine with obliterated exaust collector i did drill out those trumpets, I'll  need those for the resin engine, along with the kit suplied pe

The ca ,made a mess when i tried to stop  it disintegrating ,overall, so far a nicely detailed kit ,but a bit vague instruction wise, and difficult at times

Ok4ole6.jpeg

• Like 7

One more pic of the cockpit assembly test fit in the fuselage i fixed the back of the fuselage parts  to each side at this point for better alignment 

, belts and ip next

0cDHA9L.jpeg 

• Like 10

Early reports, the sbs resin bristol mercury engine fits like a glove , and not oj's  alleged glove either,

A pic,but once built up it fits beautifully in the cowling, hopefully, painted  it'll turn out better than that kit blob 

G8cUB9s.jpeg

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Good to see your Lizzie underway Glynn, and moving along quite nicely too.

The replacement engine looks very nice and hopefully will give you a lot less trouble than the kit's engine/cowling assembly.

Craig I've  just got the engine fully built ,no sanding or fettling and it fits in the glued up cowling like a dream, i reckon its a sure fire aftermarket part for this kit , it cost about £6.00 ish, miles better and is a match

• Like 4

gee the interior is really detailed and looks really busy. Will be interesting to see how the wing fits/mounts to it.

That resin engine is a vast and much needed improvement!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

gee the interior is really detailed and looks really busy. Will be interesting to see how the wing fits/mounts to it.

That resin engine is a vast and much needed improvement!

Rich , i hear the wing mount part is a challenge i have my fingers crossed, the new engine is a needed and a  lovely  extra, cheers 👍 

Edited by Hewy

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Looking good Glynn, I've seen some rather tortuous builds of this Dora Lysander kit but this one is making me feel better about getting one. :) 

Steve.

Thanks steve, you're correct ,Definitely not a shake and bake kit , i think the engine will be just the beginning 😋

• Like 1

A couple of in pics of the engine ,there's some pe to add, but much better

I separated the old engine from the fuselage end

The old and the new

SAYfBKL.jpeg

Lovley fit, and you'll  be able to see behind it

👍

OH49vtT.jpeg

• Like 10

On 01/10/2021 at 08:35, Hewy said:

so far a nicely detailed kit ,but a bit vague instruction wise, and difficult at times

I’ve been building their Percival Vega Gull on and off for the past year or so. This pretty much sums up my feelings on that kit, too. Wonder if this is general sentiment towards Dora? Generally nice but could benefit a bit clearer instructions?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mjoo said:

I’ve been building their Percival Vega Gull on and off for the past year or so. This pretty much sums up my feelings on that kit, too. Wonder if this is general sentiment towards Dora? Generally nice but could benefit a bit clearer instructions?

I agree mjoo , i think the line is "its a nice kit but" . there a some very vague sections in the instructions  ,for instance there are pe seat belts supplied but nothing in the instructions on how or where they fit, you have to do your own research there, from a bit of reading up  I've  found out the multi part glazing is problematic too, I'll cross that bridge when i come to it though ,i got some paint in the cockpit last night ,I'll  take some better pictures later

5RvTPhN.jpeg

T5nZYaG.jpeg

• Like 8

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

The interior looks very good painted up Glynn.

Sounds like this kit isn't exactly a stress free relaxing build, if only manufacturers would learn that the easier they make their kits to build then the more we would buy of them.

The kit got rave reviews craig, thats what i don't  understand, granted once built it can  be a looker (in the right hands) but the few builds I've  seen don't  really mention the downright poor instructions (short run or not) and I'm not a learner but the kit is quite  challenging , I'll  have a decent update tommorow in better light for pictures,fuselage together,wheel struts on ,the superb little sbs resin mercury engine is painted up, the wheel struts needed the mounting holes enlarging, and the two panels that fit underneath the fuselage needed a lot of fettling, but thats the way i expect this kit to be now ,saying that I'm  finding it difficult to put down ,I'm  ,I'm thoroughly enjoying it ,but definitly not a shake and bake, at this rate build number2 will be started soon 👍

• Like 3