postwar military vehicles in commercial use, anyone converted/built them?

bootneck

I have taken an interest in building commercial vehicles around the late 1940's and 1950's and note that a fair few ex-military types found their way into commercial use.  I'm looking for ideas and inspiration to convert or scratchbuild some for this purpose.  Has anyone done similar?  If so, can you provide details and images please?   Any scale would be welcome to see.

So far, I've completed a Matador 6x6 fuel bowser and a Matador 6x6 with Coles Crane and enjoyed doing them; now I'm looking for other ideas.

Mike

@bootneck Mike, if you have any WIP/RFI threads about that Matador with crane, or info about any books/sites/photos which you found useful, please let me know. I'm planning a Matador with crane (although 4x4), so I'd like to see yours.

I know that doesn't answer your question, though!

One suggestion which comes to mind is the CMP series. There was an article in a magazine (which I'll find for you later as I have a PDF copy) showing a conversion of a CMP into a recovery truck. It was a bit of a work of art. I'll try to give you some details later if that's of use to you.

27 minutes ago, Ade H said:

@bootneck Mike, if you have any WIP/RFI threads about that Matador with crane, or info about any books/sites/photos which you found useful, please let me know. I'm planning a Matador with crane (although 4x4), so I'd like to see yours.

Hello Ade,

I did a sort of WiP for the refueller in the Anything but injected GB, but don't have anything on the Coles Crane as I took the dimensions from the Airfix RAF Recovery Set crane.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I used the plans from the Mick Bell plans website,

Then I just followed that up by changing to a Coles Crane body. 

spacer.png

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of demobbed Scammell Pioneers ended up as brake down trucks - there's the old Airfix 1:76 tractor unit which would work as a reference for scaling off, if you want one at 1:144, otherwise IBG have recently released most variants in 1:72.  The instructions for those may supply useful reference drawings etc?

I've been tempted by the 1:35 military Pioneers which were released by two manufacturers a couple of years ago, but like you, I actually want to build a civilian one...

There was a company that converted Bedford QL 4x4s to tractor units and rigid S by replacing the front axles with non-driven  Bedford O type ones, Candelants in Bedfordshire

I’ve a few pics in my collection. 
in Holland and mainland Europe Terberg used 6x6 GMCs with locally built cabs in their early history.

Southport buses had a few QL Bedford 4x4s conversations to beach buses. I have a friend who is building one in 1:1 scale. Look for Southport beach bus on Google etc

other than that many big gun and tank transporters ended up with heavy haulage and as recovery trucks.

• Like 1

Hi Rich,

thanks for that info on the Bedford QL 4x4's.  I'd appreciate seeing some photos if you could send them.

Cheers,
Mike