Erinyes over Denmark (1/72 464 Squadron Tamiya Mosquito FB.VI)

Procopius

Edward, considering the small size of the cockpit opening and the cockpit framing, I don't think you will need to add much detail because as you've said, the Tamiya 'pit is so nicely done.

I pulled my unfinished bomber and took some close-ups with my phone. Other than photos you may take, to post here, who, besides you will ever get their eye close enough to see that detail?

51477506824_67ee76d843_b.jpg

51477706075_bb1a99efeb_b.jpg

51476010717_4d55bd7fde_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Looks grand.  Put the canopy on and take a look then..  you might need to put a bit of wiring on the back shelf to busy it up a bit but beware...

I built the Tamiya 1/48 NFII as a MkXIII.  Spent time adding junction boxes to the rear of the cockpit, and cable runs on the cockpit walls etc.  Once you put the canopy on you couldn’t see any of it....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was indeed exhausted after Grant's birthday celebration, which featured about sixty distinct meltdowns by Winston, and to add insult to injury, Mrs P gave away the leftover pizza (my breakfast!) to the boys' sitter, and the leftover cake (my lunch!) to my mother, who showed up uninvited after the Zoom birthday singalong we'd had specifically to keep her away. Fun fun fun.

Tonight, I only got a little bit done, because I had to watch Battle of Britain for the millionth time. Mrs P declined to join me, and her disloyalty will be punished at some future date.

So when I finally got down to the old grotto, I didn't really do much.

PXL_20210916_040425612

I just faffed about a bit with painting and weathering the cockpit interior, which will be invisible once it's closed up. I tried to make a dark grey wash (amazingly, I don't have one in a bottle) by mixing some oils and odorless thinner, but ended up brushing most of it off.

PXL_20210916_040513749

PXL_20210916_040504349

PXL_20210916_040507027

You get the idea.

• Like 19

On 9/12/2021 at 4:01 PM, Procopius said:

Grant is turning four this week and Win will be six at the start of October, and they're beasts, sir, mere beasts.

Just wait until they're thirteen.

Ask me how I know. 🤐

Cheers,

Andre

• Sad 1

What with the Typhoon and now this (in particular) you’re building at the top of a Fritag dream list of Brit WW2 aircraft PC.  It’s a nonsense list of course - but I’ve often thought that if I could pick just one Brit WW2 aircraft to have a fly of it’d be a fighter Mosquito (I’d want a control stick rather than a yoke). 

More importantly - the build is looking jolly fine.  Way too self deprecating to describe that cockpit finishing as having “faffed about” - looks really good.

Edited by Fritag
typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I dunno!

Susannah Yorke in her least impressive 'part', but of course needs must...

A million times, such dedication must be rewarded believe me.

I am with Steve, if I could be gifted enough ability to fly a twin engined wonder-plane the Fighter version would be for me too.

O-o-o-oh boy.

A birthday party survived, very well done, chewing gum behind the bed post of your side.

Just as a reminder of nature on your side, the tomorrow pizza will not be as good as the today pizza was.

FURTHER DOMESTIC REFERENCES WILL BE OBSCURED, I, FORTUNATELY KEPT MY RESPONSIBILITIES THUSLY MUTED AND HAVE A HAPPY FAMILY EXPERIENCE TO RECALL - AT MOST TIMES.

The Mossie is looking rewarding, I must learn the dark arts of the oil wash, proceed young master, do.

28 minutes ago, perdu said:

Just as a reminder of nature on your side, the tomorrow pizza will not be as good as the today pizza was.

That's where you're wrong, Perdu! Chicago-style pizza from Lou Malnatis is inexplicably better the next day, always.

30 minutes ago, perdu said:

I must learn the dark arts of the oil wash

I sure wish I had the foggiest idea of what I was doing.

5 hours ago, Fritag said:

More importantly - the build is looking jolly fine.  Way too self deprecating to describe that cockpit finishing as having “faffed about” - looks really good.

High praise from il miglior fabbro!

7 hours ago, Hook said:

Just wait until they're thirteen.

Ask me how I know. 🤐

I dread the day Winston skulks through the house with the fuzz of a stubbornly unshorn mustache and the distinct odor of a young man who refuses to wear deodorant. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Procopius said:

That's where you're wrong, Perdu! Chicago-style pizza from Lou Malnatis is inexplicably better the next day, always.

I bow, gracefully to your superior knowledge.

Feeble Brito-Chicago Stylee Pizza from Lidl is obviously way inferior to the real thing, even if welcome on my plate most 'impromptu-feast' nights.

FURTHER DOMESTIC REFERENCES WILL BE OBSCURED, I, FORTUNATELY KEPT MY RESPONSIBILITIES THUSLY MUTED AND HAVE A HAPPY FAMILY EXPERIENCE TO RECALL - AT MOST TIMES.

13 hours ago, Procopius said:

PXL_20210916_040507027

You get the idea.

Not meaning to be dickish regarding your work, but I do have a question, about the paint flaking/scraping in the above image.

As the Mosquito was mostly made of wood, other than the engine nacelles and other bits, would the cockpit internals, like the floor and other partitions have been metal or plywood? 

Chris

Sorry for no updates lately, my in-laws have showed up and so a lot of my time had been spoken for. I also started the diet program Noom, in a  desparate attempt to lose about fifty pounds -- as opposed to my normal method of losing fifty pounds, which is browsing Hannants. With any luck, you folks won't be able to keep your hands off me the next time I go to Telford. 

I applied the cockpit placard stencils today:

PXL_20210919_181852266

Then, overcome by fumes, I decided to get cute. I took some lead wire and bent it into shape, glued it together at the ends, and painted it yellow:

PXL_20210919_192245860

You see where I'm going with this, don't you?

I then glued it into the cockpit and trimmed it a bit:

PXL_20210919_194737661

I think it should look okay once closed up:

PXL_20210919_200116726

• Like 26

And as if by magic, an aeroplane appears:

PXL_20210920_020324015

I probably could have done a bit more on the interior, but I didn't want to get tooooooo sidetracked. I just painted the radio dials, added the seatbelts (the infinitely frustrating Eduard superfabric ones -- I've ended up using almost none of the Eduard PE set so far), and sprayed some dullcoat to cut down on the shine. 

The lower part of the fuselage with the cannon barrels is not an amazing fit, and I'll probably have to go back and do something with it later.

I wrongly drilled out the hole in the center of the nose cone that's for the AI radar aerial, so I ordered another kit (darn) and will rob it once it arrives.  

• Like 17

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Ordering another kit because of a misdrilled hole...

Now that is a step-change in model making, that is.

Had to be done, Perds. Had to.

• Haha 6

A bit late to the thread, but glad to be here and very moved by the introduction and the issues that you raise regarding your friend.

Looking forward to seeing this build progress- now, here's my input to the build so far- could those metal bars/ pipes/ tubes installed in front of the radiator intakes be an Anti-Ice system or De-Icer ?

They could be simply heated bars, or perhaps be perforated tubes that can dispense de-icer onto the Radiator faces.  I seem to recall a similar system in Spitfire radiators. 

Best of luck with all,

Troffa

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2021 at 3:05 PM, Procopius said:

so I ordered another kit (darn) and will rob it once it arrives. 

Method in the madness me thinks, of course, the hole could have plugged with a stretched or whittled down bit of sprue, sanded off & good to go, but where is the fun in that, I like your way better. :D 

Steve.

• Like 1

Why would a radiator have a deicer? It is, by it's very nature, hot, and since it is there to cool stuff, why would ice be a problem? 

I've never heard of a radiator having a deicer system, but that of course doesn't mean there hasn't been one!

Ian

A man who quotes Aeschylus in a Mosquito build - what's not to like? Great work so far, I'm loving it!   :)

Now, about those 50 pounds. I've lost 50 pounds on two occasions - but I don't recommend cancer. Best to stick with Noom.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1