Jump to content

Erinyes over Denmark (1/72 464 Squadron Tamiya Mosquito FB.VI)


Recommended Posts

Just now, stevehnz said:

Looking at your photo above, I think you might have them the wrong way around, the horizontal bars appear to go to the outside against the engine rather than against the fuselage as you have them, maybe. :unsure:

Steve.

 

Yes, I was just thinking that myself. Poop.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haha well it's your call mate :D While I think you might well gain some extra modelling cred for doing it, I don't agree that you'd lose any for not doing it. My belief is that the voice of the Britmodeller beehive would be, for the most part, that they wouldn't be doing it :) 

 

Cheers,

 

Stew

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, fixed. 

 

PXL_20210912_035252310

 

In my defence, Eduard gets it wrong in the instructions for the PE, too. Or the Mossie in the photo has them backwards, I guess.

 

  • Like 10
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks from that last pic as though they designed it to be fitted the other way. There appears to be a gap now at the inboard end and a step outboard - you may have to file them down a little to fit this way round!

 

Ian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Brandy said:

It looks from that last pic as though they designed it to be fitted the other way.

It most certainly is. Happily, with the top parts of the wings on, it's not visible. But it wouldn't be one of my builds without a certain amount of to-ing and fro-ing over even the most user-friendly of kits.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used the Eduard mask set which I think I saw skulking in the pile of AM in your photo above.  It didn't seem to properly differentiate the inner framing (provided as a decal by Tamiya) from the rest.  I didn't like the slightly cartoon Tam framing and sorting out my own masking for the inside was too hurtful to my brain.  So I sprayed all the masked canopy RAF interior grey-green, then some gloss.  Once dried i masked off the interior framing elements and sprayed the rest camo.  After the whole paint job, decals, matt varnish shenanigans,  i gave another coat of gloss over the interior framing. 

 

I hope this makes sense.  It finally more-or-less gave the appearance that some of the framing was behind the perspex, but I was more annoyed that Eduard had charged top dollar for a mask that didn't really cut the mustard or instruct or at least warn about the rear framing.  Our club was in a Mosquito mood at the time and had visited the DH museum so I had plenty of reference, but I've seen models on the 'net with all framing in camo.

 

I'd also been forewarned that adding the wheels at the end was difficult on the 1/48 version, though I was using the 1/72 kit; it looked like the same difficulty was built in so Tam want you to put the wheels in place early.  The solution I found was to drill the undercarriage legs and wheels to suit the smallest gauge of tube I had to hand and then once everything painted and the plane assembled, I could just slip a short length of said aluminium tubing in place as an axle.

 

Cheers, I always enjoy reading your build posts and sympathise; I didn't really restart plastic modelling properly until my two were 7 and 9, besides which being girls they only watched Wreck-it Ralph rather than emulate him, like most of their male peers seemed to do according to school-gate chats!

Regards

Will

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always up for a Mosquito build, watching with interest 🙂

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

 And of course if someone happens to be by the Yorkshire Air Museum and can get some better snaps, well...my flat cap is off to you, sir.

Tony Agar's Mosquito now resides in Lincolnshire  at East Kirkby with Lancaster Just Jane, https://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/history/the-history-of-mosquito-hj711.htm

1 hour ago, malpaso said:

I'd also been forewarned that adding the wheels at the end was difficult on the 1/48 version, though I was using the 1/72 kit; it looked like the same difficulty was built in so Tam want you to put the wheels in place early.  The solution I found was to drill the undercarriage legs and wheels to suit the smallest gauge of tube I had to hand and then once everything painted and the plane assembled, I could just slip a short length of said aluminium tubing in place as an axle.

The 1:72 Tamiya  undercarriage can be fitted after completion, but it it a tight squeeze. There's a bit of info on correcting and detailing this assembly in my stalled build here ( must get round to finishing it, now I've dug it out to compare with the new Airfix kit..)

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

Ooof, a stinging indictment of my writing, which I had hoped was at least passable, since I sort of get paid to do it at work!

 

Stop putting the standard of your modelling down, as your writing is far, far more than passable, you should do it for a living....!! :)

 

Keith

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have a squint at the Part set S72139 it is for the Tam kit, shows the structural bits in front of the rads that are shown on your photo plus other greeblies and only 27 PLN plus a long wait for transport :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, HAMP man said:

Have a squint at the Part set S72139 it is for the Tam kit, shows the structural bits in front of the rads that are shown on your photo plus other greeblies and only 27 PLN plus a long wait for transport :) 

 

Ah, that does look like it would answer! I've used a PART set before (on the RWD-8 build I did), and they're fairly elaborate. I don't think I can wait long enough to use it for this build, especially given the state of transatlantic shipping right now, but I may pick up a few for future builds.

6 hours ago, malpaso said:

I used the Eduard mask set which I think I saw skulking in the pile of AM in your photo above.  It didn't seem to properly differentiate the inner framing (provided as a decal by Tamiya) from the rest.  I didn't like the slightly cartoon Tam framing and sorting out my own masking for the inside was too hurtful to my brain.  So I sprayed all the masked canopy RAF interior grey-green, then some gloss.  Once dried i masked off the interior framing elements and sprayed the rest camo.  After the whole paint job, decals, matt varnish shenanigans,  i gave another coat of gloss over the interior framing. 

 

Hmmmm. Hopefully my Airframe in Miniature book on the Mossie has a good delineation of what framing is which. 

 

5 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

 

Tony Agar's Mosquito now resides in Lincolnshire  at East Kirkby with Lancaster Just Jane, https://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/history/the-history-of-mosquito-hj711.htm

 

 

D'oh! I should have known that, too, since I saw here myself in 2019. 

 

6 hours ago, malpaso said:

 

 

Cheers, I always enjoy reading your build posts and sympathise; I didn't really restart plastic modelling properly until my two were 7 and 9, besides which being girls they only watched Wreck-it Ralph rather than emulate him, like most of their male peers seemed to do according to school-gate chats!

 

 

Yes, Grant is turning four this week and Win will be six at the start of October, and they're beasts, sir, mere beasts. I foolishly put my Lancaster that I was very proud of out on display, and Winston twisted off three props trying to make them turn (after being repeatedly told they didn't spin -- his IQ is allegedly very high, but we have to take this on faith), the tailwheel has vanished, and the undercarriage doors are god knows where. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

 

Ah, that does look like it would answer! I've used a PART set before (on the RWD-8 build I did), and they're fairly elaborate. I don't think I can wait long enough to use it for this build, especially given the state of transatlantic shipping right now, but I may pick up a few for future builds.

 

Hmmmm. Hopefully my Airframe in Miniature book on the Mossie has a good delineation of what framing is which. 

 

 

D'oh! I should have known that, too, since I saw here myself in 2019. 

 

 

Yes, Grant is turning four this week and Win will be six at the start of October, and they're beasts, sir, mere beasts. I foolishly put my Lancaster that I was very proud of out on display, and Winston twisted off three props trying to make them turn (after being repeatedly told they didn't spin -- his IQ is allegedly very high, but we have to take this on faith), the tailwheel has vanished, and the undercarriage doors are god knows where. 

In reference to the Lanc and in the words of John Hurt in  the film Contact 'why build one when you  have two at twice the price?'

Even in an ex country of the European Union the devlivery ethos is something akin to the Clacks.

I order, I forget I've ordered, remember four weeks later that I've ordered something, write a polite e-mail and the bits arrive six weeks later. Never a problem because this fits with my construction speed and butterfly focus :).

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I might as well, SGM and DG.

 

The perfect Wooden Wonder and a Procopius tale to remind any that forgot.

 

Doom Bar at the bar when you're ready PC.

 

Cheers.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So the Airframe in Miniature book on the fighter versions of the Mosquito leaves much to be desired in terms of canopy photos. I've looked at my copy of the bomber version book, and while it's better than the fighter version book (it has colour photos, for starters), it's not ideal for my purposes. If anyone can help me with figuring out which framing is internal and which is external, I'd appreciate it.

 

Tonight I scraped the detail off the IP, which is really nice enough that you don't need aftermarket.

 

PXL_20210913_003022661

 

 

Then I added on the Yahu panel.

 

PXL_20210913_003236423

 

Snazzy!

 

I had to do a little trimming on the gunsight to get it to fit in the notch, but only a little.

 

PXL_20210913_004936546

 

I tried to get fancy by using Mr Surfacer 1500 black to prime the interior, and then went over it with thin coats of Colourcoats RAF Interior Gray Green.

 

PXL_20210913_012714919

 

For such a nicely-engineered kit, those sink marks in the cockpit area are super annoying. If I had a larger punch and die set, I might try filling them with plastic card circles, but I don't, so here we are.

 

I haven't yet decided on pylons or not for the wings. The photos I've seen of 464 Squadron Mosquitoes in 1944 seem to show them with and without pylons, so I'm not sure how easy it was to remove them or how often it was done. This image from the attack does seem to suggest that the wings were clean, though:

 

23252054-bombe_1_top.jpg

 

So I'll probably go that way barring some devastating contraindication. 

 

My best friend from college -- which would have been, oh, goodness me, eighteen years ago, it feels like another person's life now -- lives in Serbia as an ESL teacher and freelance translator. He's tried to kill himself several times, and has now settled on starving himself to death. He's on day ten without eating and I imagine it won't be much longer now. There is, of course, absolutely nothing I can do about this except feel an overpowering mixture of grief and rage at something I can exert no control over whatsoever. All I can think about now is the time we were both talking to Rachel Borgman in the quad, in, I guess it must have been 2002, a girl who we both had a sort of vague crush on and no chance with, and I tripped him to make him look foolish. And I felt so badly about it almost immediately, since it was an act of such petty and casual cruelty. But it's remarkable how much pain and sadness we can feel when we're young and we don't really have to care for anyone but ourselves. Now I just feel the erratic pulses of the dying star that is my misery as I have to continue to lead my ordinary, unremarkable life, one that's too small for dramatic gestures. I can be as sad as I want, but I still have to love my children (which can be difficult), do my job, and the other ten million things that are part and parcel of being the persisting mediocrity that is me. 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Sad 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mate, your Mosquito internals are looking lovely.

 

Regarding your final paragraph, I don't imagine that there's anything I can say that would make you feel any better, but you do sound like you are in need of a virtual hug, so please accept mine. It's tragic about your friend, but as you say there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. I think we all did - and had done to us - the sort of petty point-scoring that you mention, and it's normal enough to feel bad about it even years afterwards. The guilt and shame that attaches does actually serve a useful purpose in that it does (or at least should) stop you doing such things again. Ultimately though, since you can't go back and undo those acts and unsay those words, you have to accept that your younger self was on occasion a... I don't think the swear-filter will let me say it but you know what I mean. I know that you have grown into a better person since, and that's probably the best that any of us can hope for.

As for your feelings about your current circumstances... I think you've done pretty well. If you think about it for more than a couple of minutes, I think you'll agree that things could have turned out a lot worse. I hope you'll find that, anyway. Feel free to PM me any time if you want to.

 

Cheers,

 

Stew

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/12/2021 at 4:51 AM, Procopius said:

 

There are three metal tubes positioned in front of the radiators, presumably some form of structural support. Not really sure how or even if I should duplicate these, but I welcome suggestions...

Might I try to add something from my little box of tricks to this absolutely promising build?

For tiny rods, pushes, tubes (if one doesn't have to show the holes) I usually use electric guitar strings. I usually have lots of them around used from my other hobby, but can be bought online or any store for about, I don't know, 10,- $ or so. The higher strings are plain, and the thicker wound, which can be used as hose lines or the like.

Also a perfect tool for pushing through sealed CA glue bottles. Can't live without.

 

Will shut my mouth now and follow quietly from the back row, if I might sneak in late.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

Now I just feel the erratic pulses of the dying star that is my misery as I have to continue to lead my ordinary, unremarkable life, one that's too small for dramatic gestures. I can be as sad as I want, but I still have to love my children (which can be difficult), do my job, and the other ten million things that are part and parcel of being the persisting mediocrity that is me. 

Just being you, that non-mediocrity that is Edward our friend, mentor and spirit guide tells us that you need feel no guilt for the things he (Junior ED) did.

 

Stay sensitive, stay concerned and most of all stay YOU, a  man who can be proud of the conversations in here that raise my head's thoughts out of the ordinary and help take my depressions away from dull thinking clouds of bleagh!

 

God bless chum, hope we meet again one day in Shropshire.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Edward I've met a lot of people and frankly thought a lot of them were utter dolts. I would not include you in that classification and could not describe you as mediocre by a long stretch. None of which invalidates the way you feel about yourself of course.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What the others have said, Edward. Hang in there, Bud!

 

And, hey, mediocrity ain't so bad. I've been doing it for decades. It was my goal in life and I think I've attained it. Now I'm just the ol' bugger who lives on the corner and hangs out here all the time, where I've met some great folks, including you.

 

 

 

Chris

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/13/2021 at 12:16 AM, Stew Dapple said:

As for your feelings about your current circumstances... I think you've done pretty well. If you think about it for more than a couple of minutes, I think you'll agree that things could have turned out a lot worse. I hope you'll find that, anyway. Feel free to PM me any time if you want to.

 

On 9/13/2021 at 2:00 AM, perdu said:

Stay sensitive, stay concerned and most of all stay YOU, a  man who can be proud of the conversations in here that raise my head's thoughts out of the ordinary and help take my depressions away from dull thinking clouds of bleagh!

 

God bless chum, hope we meet again one day in Shropshire.

 

On 9/13/2021 at 12:22 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Edward I've met a lot of people and frankly thought a lot of them were utter dolts. I would not include you in that classification and could not describe you as mediocre by a long stretch. None of which invalidates the way you feel about yourself of course.

 

23 hours ago, dogsbody said:

What the others have said, Edward. Hang in there, Bud!

 

29 minutes ago, Hook said:

Another virtual pat on the shoulder from the Netherlands..! 

 

I've always felt my one advantage over the general run of humanity -- aside from the intermittent functioning of my critical thinking skills -- is that so many exceptional people seem to like me. In any case, I managed to get in touch with my friend Tim's ex-wife Jeja, who is a psychologist and lives in Belgrade. His situation is indeed serious, but there are people helping him. And honestly, I realized, since both of the times I tried to speak to him recently I said the exact wrong things to say to a suicidal person ("REMOVE THE NOOSE OR I'LL SHOOT" -- well, not quite, but you get the idea), that it was quite simply easiest to let the people who know what they're doing handle it. And you know what? I feel better about it. Maybe it's a bit jejune and cliché, but I'm focusing on the stuff I can control.

 

So I did some more work on the Mossie last night. The major issue facing me right now is what interior detail to try and replace and what to leave as-is: it scarcely needs aftermarket anything. (Aside from a tail. I've contemplated possibly buying an older Airfix kit just to use the tail as a guide for resizing the Tamiya tail; this is honestly one time where I wish I did do resin casting, I'd just wait and clone the new tool Airfix tail a bajillion times.) 

 

PXL_20210914_174543502

 

As you can see, I've got the wings together, and I decided not to fit the pylons. I think the photo evidence from the raid supports me, and Romans 8:31, etc etc. 

 

I've masked off the rear of the nacelles and applied some filler on the prominent seams there:

 

PXL_20210914_175205084

 

I've also brushpainted (never my strong suite) some of the cockpit details.

 

PXL_20210914_175225635

 

 

Tonight's Grant's birthday. The little guy is four. Probably won't get much done tonight.

 

 

 

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

is that so many exceptional people seem to like me.

 

...... and even more of us far less exceptional people do as well Edward! Re your friend, it's some comfort that there are people on the ground there trying to help him. I'm sure they will do all they can...............

 

Meanwhile you have this Mosquito to finish, and yet far more important than that, time with young Grant on his birthday. It was my own birthday yesterday so I have 63 years on him (that number sounds much better to me than fessing up to my actual age), and he is therefore in good company around this time of year!

 

Happy Birthday Grant! 🥳

 

Terry

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Terry1954 said:

 

 

It was my own birthday yesterday so I have 63 years on him (that number sounds much better to me than fessing up to my actual age), and he is therefore in good company around this time of year!

 

 

 

I would have pegged you as a decade younger Terry, thanks in part to your magnificent head of hair. You must be the only man on earth who a multitude of children has kept young. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...