Erinyes over Denmark (1/72 464 Squadron Tamiya Mosquito FB.VI)

Procopius

My trap shooting story:

Way back when (72-73) my high school chemistry teacher was the sponsor of a trap shooting club. We would meet after school at the local gun club. To get to the club on time, we had to drive there as soon as school was out for the day. Those of us who drove to school would ferry those who didn't. But what about the shotguns? At first, we left them in our cars in the school parking lot, with the cars locked of course. However, the principal of the school didn't like that idea, as he was worried about theft. He instructed us instead to bring the shotguns (and the ammo) into school when we arrived in the morning and keep them in our lockers all day. I wonder if that would be allowed now?

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Nice hat, Edward. And keep it up - I started out missing all the clay pigeons but eventually (like years later) was able to hit all 25 in a round. I never did well at skeet shooting though - not sure why. I gave up shooting after calculating how much money it was costing, money that was better spent on models, beer, and women (most likely in that order).   :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

My trap shooting story:

Way back when (72-73) my high school chemistry teacher was the sponsor of a trap shooting club. We would meet after school at the local gun club. To get to the club on time, we had to drive there as soon as school was out for the day. Those of us who drove to school would ferry those who didn't. But what about the shotguns? At first, we left them in our cars in the school parking lot, with the cars locked of course. However, the principal of the school didn't like that idea, as he was worried about theft. He instructed us instead to bring the shotguns (and the ammo) into school when we arrived in the morning and keep them in our lockers all day. I wonder if that would be allowed now?

I feel like this is the sort of Occam's Razor solution that might logic one right out of a job, and probably a profession.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

My trap shooting story:

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Nice hat, Edward. And keep it up - I started out missing all the clay pigeons but eventually (like years later) was able to hit all 25 in a round. I never did well at skeet shooting though - not sure why. I gave up shooting after calculating how much money it was costing, money that was better spent on models, beer, and women (most likely in that order).   :)

I'm going to side on the Oh Hell No side of that question, That covers America and the UK, due to School Shootings in the US people would be told to keep their guns at home, in a locked gun safe. In the UK, you would need to be over 18, I think, just to get the licence and gun and when not in use it would have to be in a secure gun safe, which had passed muster with the police.

• Like 1

Some updates, not strictly modelling related.

This arrived, along with the Airfix Vulcan today:

51668764975_0fb1b5160d_b.jpgPXL_20211109_193528283 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I'm very relieved that they came when they did, it was a large box and it might look a little bad to Mrs P.

And secondly, that I made Cambridge burnt creams with the yolks left over from my Pavlova:

51667542914_77c022c8fb_b.jpgIMG_20211109_074745_01 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Waste not, want not, after all. I used my small hand torch to caramelize the sugar.

Also, if you want to see my bizarre children in action, here you go (it's  a video, so you need to click on it to go to Flickr to watch it):

51665051270_51e638eebb_b.jpgPXL_20211106_132942074.TS by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

This arrived, along with the Airfix Vulcan today:

Wow, big stuff! These are going to take up some shelf space for sure Edward!

I'm impressed with the video for two reasons:

Firstly they seem to be playing in a calm, brotherly way - impressed. And secondly, if that that is sand they are playing with, you are very bold and so far it seems very lucky. Back in the day, my lot would have had that all over the house in minutes with sand "fallout" lasting months!

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Wow, big stuff! These are going to take up some shelf space for sure Edward!

I'm impressed with the video for two reasons:

Firstly they seem to be playing in a calm, brotherly way - impressed. And secondly, if that that is sand they are playing with, you are very bold and so far it seems very lucky. Back in the day, my lot would have had that all over the house in minutes with sand "fallout" lasting months!

Terry

My feelings for the infernal kinetic sand are on a par with John Betjeman's for Slough, in fact, and I regularly hoover up great swathes of it out of my carpet. I would rather ten innocent men die than its creator be allowed to live.

Also, the video was filmed because them playing together nicely is so rare that we wanted some proof for ourselves that it ever happened.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

John Betjeman's for Slough

Your erudition knows no bounds Edward. Happy is he who awakens from a night shift & walks straight into a broadening of ones boundaries such as this. (with a little help from Wikipedia) ;) :D  My father had cousins who lived in Slough, sadly I never got to visit them. Maybe it was a lucky escape. :shrug: 

Good work with the Mosquito. :)

Steve.

I pop out to get some more nuts and pop corn and come back to comments on Slough and sand hoovering!

As always an entertaing thread and build.

Box On

Strickers

Wishing you a thoughtful and pleasant Remembrance Day from across the pond. As regular readers may know, there is a part of my corner of Illinois that is forever England:

51673127309_c1aa31cbc9_b.jpgPXL_20211111_144528299 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Pte Evans was liberated from a Japanese prisoner of war camp, if the cruel arrangements by that nation can be dignified by the name, and was medically evacuated to this country, where he died of ill-health brought on by maltreatment. I like to ensure he gets to sleep under his own flag when the Fort Sheridan cemetery permits flags, on our Memorial Day and today, when we celebrate Veterans' Day. Win was off school, and he gamely accompanied me on his scooter on the 2.5 mile (one-way) walk to the cemetery through absolutely pouring rain. By the time we got there with our flag, we were both soaked.

51673127454_48d73b8c1e_b.jpgPXL_20211111_144542808 by Edward IX, on Flickr

On the way back, poor Win was so cold his teeth were chattering uncontrollably and we ducked into a doughnut shop to fortify him with a brace of chocolate long johns and a hot cocoa. 

51672449776_b606675e4a_b.jpgPXL_20211111_152510121 by Edward IX, on Flickr

He was in fine spirits once we got home and changed into dry clothes, and was further rewarded for his manful stoicism with some banana cream pudding, which is inexplicably one of his favourite things on earth.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Wishing you a thoughtful and pleasant Remembrance Day from across the pond. As regular readers may know, there is a part of my corner of Illinois that is forever England:

51673127309_c1aa31cbc9_b.jpg

That is a very fine thing you are doing for our man there Edward, very fine indeed.

R.I.P. Private Cyril H Evans 🇬🇧 :poppy:

I attended a brief ceremony in Wimborne this morning. As moving as ever for me.

Terry

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I have to admit to a fondness for Slough. I spent a quite pleasing six months there, at the time I was sharing a flat with a former Foreign Legionnaire so life always tilted towards the interesting.

• Like 1

Hullo all, sorry again for the slow updates! A lot has happened.

The big news: if my mom's ticket can be transferred, it looks like I will indeed be heading to the UK for three weeks in March*. Uh, if anyone wants a houseguest they can visit museums with, now is a good time to start thinking about whether or not you could really endure my presence, since Mrs P would gut me like a fish if I had to pay for lodgings while I was there...

In other news: I finally knuckled under and decided to reorganize my workspace:

51693729784_1aca9da3da_b.jpgPXL_20211116_195727927 by Edward IX, on Flickr

This involved a lot of clearing stuff out, throwing out several hundred old cotton buds used to clean airbrushes, and approximately twenty million spare cocktail sticks. After taking this photo I got some little storage bins to go under the shelving unit as well. All in all, in gives me a sense of order and control.

I also bought a resin 3D printer the other night, which should arrive in a week or two. I'm hopeful it will be helpful in modelling, amusing my children with small gewgaws, But it will also be useful for printing 28mm miniatures, which is good, because @06/24 has hooked me on Five Parsecs From Home, a miniatures wargame that addresses the fundamental problem of miniatures wargames: the fact that most people who play them have no friends. Yes, it's a single-player game where your crew of doughty 28mm spacemen go to war against aliens, petty space criminals, monster lizards, any god knows what else, all providing an excuse for the sort of mindless consumption and painting that gets me off. 

It's been, quite literally, almost twenty years since I painted a figure for a miniatures game, so I only had one on hand, but I ordered some Warhammer 40K guys to practice on as well, and here are the first three figures I've painted in ages:

51692256047_281c1437e6_b.jpgPXL_20211118_184008869 by Edward IX, on Flickr

And here are some of my space crew, using some fairly awful Maelstrom's Edge miniatures, the sculptor/designer of which has clearly never held a firearm, or seen anyone else do so, in their entire life:

51693731529_c569c3d37e_b.jpgPXL_20211120_053948558 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Much bodging was needed to get to these even marginal poses. 

Anyway, that's much harder than building model airplanes, and though faster, isn't really what we're here for, is it?

So tonight as I watched It Happened One Night, I glosscoated and decalled the Mossie.

51696949063_16c010d261_b.jpgPXL_20211122_042346125 by Edward IX, on Flickr

51697352164_d3fc2916fb_b.jpgPXL_20211122_042340277 by Edward IX, on Flickr

But wait, you cry, weren't you going to paint the stripes? I was, but I'm a coward, and lazy to boot. Why try to get the aircraft as it looked at a time when we have no certain documentation of how she looked, rather than as she did when we have definite photographic evidence of how it ought to be? It's a cop-out, I know, but hey, it's my model. 

• Like 20

Just now, AliGauld said:

If you happen to be coming up to Scotland and need someone to take you to East Fortune then give me a shout.

Cheers,

Alistair

If I go, I'm hoping very much to make it up there to bedevil @Stew Dapple and @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies until they sic Police Scotland on me, so that might indeed be in the cards!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Procopius said:

If I go, I'm hoping very much to make it up there to bedevil @Stew Dapple and @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies until they sic Police Scotland on me, so that might indeed be in the cards!

I remember a lot of whisky last time you were in the UK. There shall be more up here... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, AliGauld said:

If you happen to be coming up to Scotland and need someone to take you to East Fortune then give me a shout.

Cheers,

Alistair

And if you need a local guide, or somewhere to fall back on to recuperate after your visit (I live less than 5 minutes drive from East Fortune), then please bear me in mind. 

Craig. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Longer update later chaps, but the big news is the ticket couldn't be transferred and so I will not be UK-bound this March. Disappointing, but that just means I can start to plan for Telford for next year, doesn't it?

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

On 10/11/2021 at 12:19 PM, John Laidlaw said:

We have a well, but also a very necessary water softener. Without it, a month’s worth of water will leave everything needing a vinegar bath.

I find one to two minutes to be right for brewing, and if you’re using tea bags, don’t squish them against the side of the cup more than once, as that can make the tea bitter.

I'm a Brit expat now living in Akron Ohio, thankfully our local world market has Yorkshire Gold in stock most of the time, but if I really want the finest brew then only

Resolution Tea from Bothams of Whitby will do, utter perfection in a little bag, and yes they deliver to the USA, the biscuits are to die for......

Botham's of Whitby - shop Whitby by post, Whitby Hampers and perfect gifts from Yorkshire 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1