Erinyes over Denmark (1/72 464 Squadron Tamiya Mosquito FB.VI)

Procopius

3 hours ago, Brandy said:

Why would a radiator have a deicer? It is, by it's very nature, hot, and since it is there to cool stuff, why would ice be a problem? 

I've never heard of a radiator having a deicer system, but that of course doesn't mean there hasn't been one!

Ian

Given we’re talking about a country that managed to build cars that needed muffs to stop LandRovers and Morris Minor radiators freezing solid at ground level or at least over-cooling the engine, de-icing seems eminently on a plane flitting around up where the temperatures are freezing even in summer!

• Haha 2

There is a slight possibility (if my mother's health continues to fail and her airline tickets are transferrable) that I might find myself in England for three weeks in March, if anyone's looking for a rather oafish houseguest.

• Like 3

Obviously not wishing for any deterioration of your mother's health mate, but keep us posted.

If you do get the tickets and if you fancied extending your scope to include Scotland for part of your visit, I have a spare bedroom :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2021 at 10:27 PM, Stew Dapple said:

If you do get the tickets and if you fancied extending your scope to include Scotland for part of your visit, I have a spare bedroom :) 

I'm not sure what shape British Rail is in, but I feel like three weeks is enough time to make it up there. 

Sorry for the radio silence chaps, I started the Noom diet program last week (and have lost ten pounds so far, with forty to go before I'm even close to the weight I was when I started posting here in 2011), and've been on a 1500-calorie diet, which has sapped my will to live. However, I think I've started to get the hang of adequately edible food that while it hardly makes me want to go on living (my sister KR always says of eating healthy: "you don't live longer, it just feels longer"), doesn't exceed my caloric limits. Mrs P has been pleased as punch, because I've been making dinner and lunch most days, so she doesn't have to. Some recent forays:

VJBR7lV.jpg

Basil and tomato pesto sauce pizza on a whole wheat naan.

O3d1Kpp.jpg

Jarlsberg grilled cheese sandwich with roast red pepper and fresh basil.

LjTDhbB.jpg

Some sort of chicken sausage with green chile, onion, red pepper, and saurkraut fixings and honey mustard. On a hot dog bun.

It turns out my phone has a special setting for taking pictures of food, and the development of stuff like that is probably why we don't have warp drive yet. But is Alpha Centauri really in need of a local production of Fboy Island?

Anyway, the Mossie! I made my way down to my now-clean grotto.

FHaJqZ4.jpg

And if you think this doesn't look clean, it's only because you haven't seen how bad it was before. I got rid of the cardboard box, which held my blu-rays, and got some actual shelves after I took that photo:

lAN6iBs.jpg

Truly the a/v collection of a man battling hidden demons.

Anyway, I know everybody never has to use filler on Tamiya kits, but I'm the one guy who's too dumb to get it right, and so I had run a riband of Mr Dissolved Putty down the centreline seam top and bottom, and sanded it back down. That should sort it!

8l8NqOc.jpg

I also masked the canopy:

09zr2yp.jpg

The Mossie has both a bulged and a flat starboard side panel for the navigator, but I'm not sure which one is appropriate. I lean towards bulged, but if anyone knows which one 464's Mossies used, I'd be ever so grateful.

Bonus photo of my "cleaned" office:

lU7wVXQ.jpg

• Like 18

1500 calories?  Luxury.  You should try the Fast 800.  No more than 800 calories for up to 12 weeks.  2000 per day thereafter.  I lost 14kg and have kept it off for over a year.  Best of all, I have lost the craving for junk food and am eating healthier than ever.

AW

Woo Hoo! A Procopious build of a Mosquito, and from an Australian squadron, to boot!

Looking good so far, Edward (as we've come to expect). You have inspired me to take my copy of this kit out of the stash and begin some plastic worrying of my own so I'll be following this very closely. I'll be chasing the DK decals set (72012) - the 464 squadron Operation Jericho option is very tempting but I doubt I'll be able to go past a 456 squadron aircraft with the red rat on the cockpit entry door. Then again, I guess I could buy another kit and do both...

Dave

• Like 1

Also, a question for those of you who build the Mossie -- how did you replicate the internal framing on the aft portion of the canopy? My immediate thought is just to paint the interior colour, then mask off as best I can the parts with just it and paint the exterior colour -- a typically shabby American trick.

30 minutes ago, Hook said:

I'm scared to show my collection now. 

"They're coming to take me away, ha-ha!"

Have a lot of video nasties, do you?

4 hours ago, Andwil said:

1500 calories?  Luxury.  You should try the Fast 800.  No more than 800 calories for up to 12 weeks.  2000 per day thereafter.  I lost 14kg and have kept it off for over a year.  Best of all, I have lost the craving for junk food and am eating healthier than ever.

As it is, I already want to storm a supermarket and eat everything inside, including the other shoppers, so that may not be for me. But I respect your fortitude.

3 hours ago, Red Rat said:

Woo Hoo! A Procopious build of a Mosquito, and from an Australian squadron, to boot!

Looking good so far, Edward (as we've come to expect). You have inspired me to take my copy of this kit out of the stash and begin some plastic worrying of my own so I'll be following this very closely. I'll be chasing the DK decals set (72012) - the 464 squadron Operation Jericho option is very tempting but I doubt I'll be able to go past a 456 squadron aircraft with the red rat on the cockpit entry door. Then again, I guess I could buy another kit and do both...

Dave

I imagine you're more interested in 464, but if not, I have a spare set of decals for 487's EG-F/HX922, flown by Group Captain Pickard DFC DSO etc on the Amiens Raid I could probably spare.

23 minutes ago, Procopius said:

My immediate thought is just to paint the interior colour, then mask off as best I can the parts with just it and paint the exterior colour -- a typically shabby American trick.

That is exactly what I would do :D Except I might add a coat of gloss clear to the 'internal' frames to give the impression they are under the perspex 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

That is exactly what I would do :D Except I might add a coat of gloss clear to the 'internal' frames to give the impression they are under the perspex 

Cheers,

Stew

Yes, exactly! I'll likely need to do that anyway, as there's a decal that goes on the canopy, so I was thinking of dipping in in clear gloss. Though this means adding it to the model later and having to cover the whole thing with tape...ulp.

My thinking now:

1. Spray interior colour on canopy. 

2. Mask off interior parts.

3. Spray outside colour.

4. Demask canopy.

5. Apply decals.

6. Gloss dip!

7. ????

8. Profit.

9. Cover whole canopy with tape (maybe with a bit of paper towel taped over the decals, for safety).

10. Reattach to model.

11. Paint model.

12. Bask in the adulation of Britmodellers who're too kind to tell me what they really think.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Have a lot of video nasties, do you?

Well, nou you mention it... :D I do indeed own most of them (a few are not available - YET! - on bluray or even DVD, plus the highly recommended documentaries whose links may not be suitable for a work environment: 

https://www.nucleusfilms.com/video-nasties-definitive-guide-dvd.html

https://www.nucleusfilms.com/video-nasties-definitive-guide-2-dvd.html

But, I digress.

Lovely Mossie progress!, that interior looks quite the bees knees from here. 

Cheers,

Andre 

34 minutes ago, Hook said:

Well, nou you mention it... :D I do indeed own most of them (a few are not available - YET! - on bluray or even DVD, plus the highly recommended documentaries whose links may not be suitable for a work environment: 

I'm more of a cheapie Italian Mad Max rip-off guy, but I'm friends with some bad movie reviewers (like this guy, whose wife is also a very cool lady and a good friend), so I'm broadly familiar with the genre.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

I'm more of a cheapie Italian Mad Max rip-off guy, but I'm friends with some bad movie reviewers (like this guy, whose wife is also a very cool lady and a good friend), so I'm broadly familiar with the genre.

Especially the first link looks right up my cinematic alley. Thanks!

• Like 1

Paint internals then gloss then externals is how I did my internal framing as per my earlier post (12 Sept).  Looks okay if you zoom in.  Please ignore the dust bunnies and the silvering  of the radiator cover(?) decals!

32372886988_8a9f717c62_b.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the radio silence folks, I took a week off work to just enjoy Fall and go for walks while the weather still holds. Time well spent, if you ask me, I had a very sedate and relaxing week. Also, Facebook broke on Monday, and I was pretty glad to be out of the office for that (though out of guilt I came back in on Friday to help my deputy close up the week so she could get out early for the weekend).

PXL_20211004_132537693

Some of the very sober adult things I got up to. I'm searching for better tea than PG Tips, which I feel is not a tall order, but please keep in mind due to the brutal diet I'm on, I cannot put sugar or milk into whatever I end up with.

Winston also turned six, and I had a lot of legos to build, as well as two tiny Flames of War Hawker Typhoons from @06/24:

PXL_20211001_005628399

These are 1/100 scale, and I painted the camo (but not the stripes) freehand with my 0.18mm Gunze Mr Airbrush Custom, and felt pretty good about myself for doing so. I'm sure the thrill of it will be mitigated by Winston annihilating the finished examples within five minutes of receiving them.

Speaking of Winston, I regret to inform you all that my capering homunculus's aircraft identification skills leave something to be desired:

PXL_20211007_170359741

He is very interested in the MiG-29, because I told him it was both a bad guy fighter (You Know Who) and a good guy fighter (Poland), and as a creature of profound and rapidly shifting duality, Winston identified strongly with it. Mrs P peeked in on him in school the other day, and had the dubious pleasure of watching our brewing revenge upon the world inform his classmates that electricity would kill you dead, and then miming the death throes for them all as his weary teacher tried to get him back on track.

I also obtained something to tide me over until I can see all of you again:

PXL_20210930_012807465

I made an adequate Eton Mess:

PXL_20211001_194704224.PORTRAIT

and Cambridge burnt cream (Oxford and Winchester don't seem to have their own desserts, a lamentable oversight), which was excellent and afforded me an excuse to buy a kitchen torch:

PXL_20211002_214948081.PORTRAIT

My children refused to eat either, the little darlings.

I've begun the tedious process of masking off the interior framing of the Mossie's cockpit:

PXL_20211010_032932394

I still need to figure out which side window to use; I lean towards bulged, but that may be totally wrong.

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

Speaking of Winston, I regret to inform you all that my capering homunculus's aircraft identification skills leave something to be desired:

Well, it's still a better likeness than the early Fujimi / Hasegawa / Tsukuda kits...

Incidentally, this thread inspired me to spray some Vallejo Air Interior Green on the Tamiya Mossies in my stash.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Procopius said:

I'm searching for better tea than PG Tips, which I feel is not a tall order, but please keep in mind due to the brutal diet I'm on, I cannot put sugar or milk into whatever I end up with.

Practically anything, with the exception of Liptons, is better than PG Tips (it used to be good, years ago, but then headed south rapidly). Yorkshire Tea make some excellent brews - I drink Yorkshire Gold as it works with our well water, but they have several different types. They're at https://yorkshiretea.co.uk/our-teas and you can get them through Amazon.

I was also going to recommend Rishi Tea from here in Milwaukee, but having just looked at their prices, my eyes are watering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

My choice of tea for the last 40 years:

My entire life has been directed with bloody single-mindedness at repudiating my ancestry, and I don't intend to stop now.

6 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

Practically anything, with the exception of Liptons, is better than PG Tips (it used to be good, years ago, but then headed south rapidly). Yorkshire Tea make some excellent brews - I drink Yorkshire Gold as it works with our well water, but they have several different types. They're at https://yorkshiretea.co.uk/our-teas and you can get them through Amazon.

I was also going to recommend Rishi Tea from here in Milwaukee, but having just looked at their prices, my eyes are watering.

Yorkshire tea it is, then! A box will be delivered to Hedgehog Manor tomorrow, and I shall issue a full report.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

Yorkshire tea it is, then! A box will be delivered to Hedgehog Manor tomorrow, and I shall issue a full report.

I believe tha will be reet 'appy wi' Yarksha Tea PC.

👍

• Haha 1

If I have to drink tea sans milk, I prefer Rooibos or Redbush (Tick Tock is my prefered brand)  It is an aquired taste. My other half thinks it's made from bonfire ash. Good points - plenty of antioxidants

Bad points - caffine free

• Like 2