Howard Morey's Pennco Flyer (JN-4D "Jenny")

billn53

Here’s my first-ever carved wooden prop. I don’t think it turned out too bad, all thing’s considered:

51640669284_aa1f48b341_z.jpg

A smear of oil paint to give it more color:

51640970454_a2182d0bb7_z.jpg

And, test fitted to give an idea of how it looks on the Jenny:

51640317946_1095d6deb3_c.jpg

Next, I’ll try carving the laminated paper prop for comparison. 

• Like 12

I added details (hub and brass tips) to the laminated wood prop:

51642034576_84490120e2_c.jpg 

Then, installed the kingposts on the upper wing. The kit pieces were close to worthless -- all different sizes, an annoying amount of flash, and easily broken. I carved new ones from toothpicks thinking they would be sturdier, and they look better to boot!

51642683509_461a4611e9_z.jpg 

Here's the rigging added to the kingposts. You can also see the aileron control cables, running from the aileron horn, through a pully, and across the wing to the other aileron:

51642250668_a32268b1c3_c.jpg 

The wing center section has a fairlead for the aileron cable. There's also a turnbuckle here on the cable:

51641643522_d0fbfab8f8_z.jpg 

With the wing now fully rigged, I turned my attention to the empennage. I added the tail strut and the braces for the horizontal stabilizer. The kit's braces are all wrong: too thick, and they connect at the wrong locations. You can see the kit's connection points on the side of the fuselage. I would have removed these if I had known earlier they are in the wrong place:

51643124384_c1289f6edd_c.jpg

And, with that done, I had run out of things left to do. I installed the wire wheels and (temporarily) my wooden prop, and she was complete! Here are a few beauty shots:

51641643552_68fdc917ab_b.jpg

51641643632_402a9b5fcb_b.jpg 

51642692158_a4162cd99a_b.jpg 

I would have taken more photos, but just after the last one above, the hangar backdrop fell onto the Jenny and knocked off two of the kingposts. The kingposts survived (the kit ones would have snapped in two), so it was just a matter of re-gluing them in place. 

I will be posting an RFI, but I have a few items to do first. Maybe in a week or so . . .

Thanks for following my build, it was a blast and I learned a lot of new skills!

51426456388_a328df1599_o.jpg

• Like 16

I was called out of town on short notice, so have only just this past few days been able to work on my mini-diorama. Here's what I'm playing around with . . . my working title is, "It Pays To Advertise".

51661034980_bef42922c0_b.jpg 

It will look a lot nicer once I have some static grass laid down. Here's an example (on a different base):

51659353792_c51f595925_b.jpg 

I also added a little dust and mud to my Model T. "Showroom clean" just doesn't seem right on a grass-strip airfield!

51661052060_a7de13e4d0_c.jpg 

Comments/suggestions are welcome.

• Like 12

Great idea for a diorama,  that will look fab  a low level black and white shot from the angle of the camera man would look really cool.  

The static grass is great stuff, although is very bright, I used it on my photographic base and toned it down with some highly thinned dark earth colour .

Great work on this  the aircraft looks absolutely stunning and the car looks great too.

Chris

• Thanks 1

I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve looked at pictures of this model in the thread and thought “oh, another reference picture of the real thing”.

Lovely proper modelling.

The diorama base will look great, although I have to say I prefer uniform colour static grass. Slight changes in grass density over the underlying mud provide enough variation in colour for me.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

The diorama base will look great, although I have to say I prefer uniform colour static grass. Slight changes in grass density over the underlying mud provide enough variation in colour for me.

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

The static grass is great stuff, although is very bright, I used it on my photographic base and toned it down with some highly thinned dark earth colour .

Both good points. I have an order of darker green static grass scheduled for delivery in a couple of days (not happy with the bright green shown  in my photos).  And thanks, Chris, for the idea of toning-down the color with an earth wash, I’ll keep that in mind should I find I need it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great idea for a diorama,  that will look fab  a low level black and white shot from the angle of the camera man would look really cool.  

Here ya go. (Just playing around)

51661810564_a8be9f14a7_b.jpg

• Like 5

What a masterpiece!  The diorama is very clever, and I agree it will likely look better with darker grass.  The first thing that popped in my mind was it was in a field of little flowers. :D  The model T is a pretty amazing model in its own right.  With the weathering and wear you added, it is remarkably realistic looking.

• Thanks 1

The darker green static grass I ordered won’t be here for a couple of days, so I decide to do an experiment. Chris gave me the idea of airbrushing  thinned Mr Color green over the super-bright grass I had used before. 

I think this turned out rather well!

51663942420_c9d34e4728_b.jpg

• Like 4

That photo captures exactly what I was thinking of Bill, what a corker of a photo and the atmosphere in that shot is perfect.  Great work on this old kit , you have made a real beauty with it and the car and people has really bought it to life. Wow.

Chris

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

That photo captures exactly what I was thinking of Bill, what a corker of a photo and the atmosphere in that shot is perfect.  Great work on this old kit , you have made a real beauty with it and the car and people has really bought it to life. Wow.

Chris

Thank you, Chris, and Ai dedicate that photo to you as it was your idea in the first place!

• Thanks 1