Academy 1/48 SB2U-3 Vindicator - ON HOLD >:(

Need to put my La-5 aside, needs some serious work I think and need to get something done for end November for the local IPMS thing. Will get back to that shortly. Promise. 🤫

So pulled this out. Bought completely by accident, wanted the SBD Dauntless, so ran into my local shop, saw Battle of Midway on the box side, grabbed it and rushed back to work. Realised when I got home I grabbed the Vibrator by accident. No complaints, wanted one of these too but still, not ideal. 

Box art in the usual Academy style.

20210910_185427

Sprue shots. 

20210910_185517

Clear parts look good. This comes with PE lap belts and canopy masks (bonus!) out the box. 

20210910_185541

20210910_185616

4 sprues of plastic goodness. Some minor flash and ejector marks. Started filling them last night with Mr Surfacer 500. Chances are good most will be invisible, but not taking chances. 

20210910_185837

Close up of the holes on the cockpit side structures. Quite a few but shouldn't take long to sort out. 

Will be referencing THIS during the build. They appeared to have solved the sink marks  that plagued the early (??) Accurate Miniatures release. So huzzah! 

As for scheme, would love to do a USMC Wind Indicator stationed on Midway during June 1942. So extreme weathering is required. Here's hoping I can pull that off. 

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
Info
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

I've heard that one before!

Or is it one of those strange autocorrects??!

Q

No autocucumber mistakes, was intentional. , 

@Harrier/ViperFan I was only aware of the GWH Devastator, need to check up on this. This is not a particularly popular and well represented plane, for obvious reasons looking at it's history. 

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
Info
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

This is not a particularly popular and well represented plane, for obvious reasons looking at it's history. 

It is after all a mid/late 1930s aircraft, a time where developments were proceeding rapidly and planes modern at launch were obsolete after 3-4 years ;)

The French V156F variant was used in May 1940 over Zeeland, subsequent contracts taken over by the British and called Chesapeake. 
Azur/Special Hobby has done those variants in 1/72.

Now, Brewster Buccaneers.. 

1 hour ago, kev67 said:

I grabbed the Vibrator by accident. No complaints, wanted one of these too

are you sure the vibrator was for you 😂

It was always going to insert itself in my life, just not without prior warning like what happened here, Was quite a surprise when I realised what happened, so best to just ride it out I say. 

On 9/13/2021 at 8:57 AM, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

No autocucumber mistakes, was intentional. , 

@Harrier/ViperFan I was only aware of the GWH Devastator, need to check up on this. This is not a particularly popular and well represented plane, for obvious reasons looking at it's history. 

@Evil_Toast_RSA You are right, for some reason i thought it was the Vindicator. 

39 minutes ago, Harrier/ViperFan said:

@Evil_Toast_RSA You are right, for some reason i thought it was the Vindicator. 

26 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

I looked for my Monogram Vindicator yesterday for comparison, only to find that it too was a Devastator!  :banghead:

john

Well. This is just getting confusing now 😆

• Haha 2

And cockpit parts (probably??) done. Going to let it dry for a bit and see if I want to futz with it some more. Think my chipping is a bit excessive? These things did spend 6 months out in the open on Midway at this point, so opinions for the next time would be appreciated. 

20210919_144600

Anyway. Instrument panel needs decals and then time to put everything together, hiding all of this forever...

• Like 1

Well, poop. Been trying to figure out how this cockpit goes together for the last 2 hours, and have no solid idea. The instructions aren't terribly clear and there isn't a whole lot of wiggle room. Not even started puzzling over the instrument panel. I'm half inclined to put it to one side and spend my December holidays playing with it. Eurgh. I was enjoying it up until now :/. 

Where things stand right now. 

20210922_222320

• Sad 2

• Evil_Toast_RSA changed the title to Academy 1/48 SB2U-3 Vindicator - ON HOLD >:(