Is there an accurate de Havilland Hornet in 1:48?

Sauropod

12 hours ago, Sauropod said:

Title says it all really. I have searched this forum and every kit seems to have accuracy issues - just hoping that I might have missed something.

Thanks.

Neil

Availability.   

The only one available is the Trumpeter kit, (and I don't think it's that available)  which is the worst of the lot.   There is thread here on fixes.

I suspect nowadays that both the Dynavector and Classic Airframe kits are blinkin' hard to find, the Dynavector maybe less desirable as it's a vac form.

There was a resin kit by Arba as well, but that's even older.       

I've not checked the Dynavector against the Classic Airframes kit, though the corrections for the CA kit were not massive,  fuselage length and UC leg position were the big problems IIRC.    

I don't recall any major wailing and gnashing of teeth over the Dynavector, but I suspect it shares common faults with the CA kit, which were from poor drawings or commonly quoted incorrect dimensions.  

At least there is a 'recipe' for correcting the CA kit worked out,  that is often the hardest part! 

• Like 1

It wasn't particularly a jibe at you, Paul.  I just thought your method sounded potentially difficult, and that I could probably find it through the magic of Google.  I know that "having to go look for something" vs. having a link waiting for you might make all the difference- it certainly does for me sometimes, despite my good intentions!

I haven't yet been told off for posting links, though perhaps this will provoke it!  I would hope that "the powers that be" have enough confidence in the gravitational pull of Britmodeller that they won't feel threatened by an acknowledgement that some information does exist outside of it.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

I'd be interested in a "how to" guide to make the CA Hornet kit more accurate...if anyone knows where I can find such information.

see here

there are others,  but this is one by @David A Collins of the Hornet project, and has a lot of information on the subject as well as corrections.

HTH

• Like 3

IIRC with the CA kit there was an issue with the shape of the sliding part of the canopy and also with the shape of the nose just in front of the canopy. 

Shame there’s not an accurate kit of this beautiful aeroplane in any scale. 

James 

5 minutes ago, franky boy said:

IIRC with the CA kit there was an issue with the shape of the sliding part of the canopy and also with the shape of the nose just in front of the canopy. 

There is more than that, 

re-reading the linked thread, Ifound I'd also added these links

Jon's build is here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234923967-the-dehavilland-sea-hornet-nf21-classic-airframes-148th-model-with-a-few-embellishments/

Notedoneyet's is here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16322-148-hornet-f1/

This is John Adams of Aeroclubs thread on the Trumpeter kit, and it's faults and fixes, but has a lot of information as well.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234973909-a-dh-hornet-fix-ation/

5 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Shame there’s not an accurate kit of this beautiful aeroplane in any scale. 

yes, but if the fixes on the CA kit are not massively difficult, as the links should show.  The harder bit if getting the information, which fortunately has been done here, and finding CA or Dynavector kits.... 

• Like 3