Adrian's little Avro 618 - 1/144 AZ Model

Adrian Hills

As suggested in the discussion thread I am building the 1/144 Avro 618 '10'. A 1920s airliner which could carry ten people. This aircraft was used by Imperial Airways, the Australians and others. Freeman Freeman-Thomas, or Lord Willingdon Viceroy of India even had one for his own use. 

The kit is very basic being predominantly injection moulded  and has nice resin engines and a bit of photo etch.

IMG_5339

IMG_5427[9362]

Note different fuselages. The one I have chosen has a slightly more rounded nose and looks most like the photographs.

IMG_5343

I have already started thinning the fuselage from the inside and glued the wing halves together.

• Like 8

It's great that you're still doing this one Adrian :)

As you probably know, this was a licence built Fokker F.VII, so maybe the main sprue fuselage halves relate to that aircraft (AZ do an F.VII boxing too).

Cheers

Very similar to the Fokkers - and of course the Southern Cross. These aircraft were made at a time of great pioneering efforts by many pilots. 

an Aussie by the name of Ulm had an Avro 618 with the top of the wing painted red or orange. Might be an interesting subject! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 11:09 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice looking aircraft, seems very similar to the Ford & Fokker tri-motor designs. 

That's because it was a Fokker.  Avro bought the licence - the Anson is basically one of these with a lower wing (slight exaggeration).

• Thanks 1

On 28/09/2021 at 16:37, Graham Boak said:

Anson is basically one of these with a lower wing

Quite a mind- bending assertion! Luckily they tweaked the formula a bit, first for the Manchester/Lancaster/Lincoln, then the Vulcan!

It looks like a lovely little kit, and looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Regards,

Adrian

The Anson had its own share of tweaking between the Mk.1 and the XXs,  Not much left of the original structure by the end.

I was tempted (well, slightly) to get one of these, but was put off by some comments on its quality.  I wish you well.

But to the Manchester line you can add the Shackleton and Argosy.