SB2U Vibrator question.

Evil_Toast_RSA

Got cracking with Academy's rebox of the AM Vindicator kit last night (need to get the WIP thread open). Would like to do a heavily beaten up plane based on Midway during the local unpleasantness that happened there in June 1942. But, have a question or two based on little bits and pieces I've picked up recently, and hoping someone can help me out. 

-Due to being left out in the open during their deployment on the island, the fabric areas started falling apart and consequently were held down with medical bandages and some dope. With this in mind, my minor, trivial question I can't seem to find an answer to. 3 of the 4 0.50 cal guns were removed from the wings, but did they close up those 3 holes (and ejector port underneath on the opposite wing, I'm assuming yes for the record), and if so, what with? Thin pieces of sheet metal? Doped bandages (my guess based on nothing more concrete than that what they had around to use)? Something else? 

- Cockpit colour. The instructions call for the cockpit interior being finished in a aluminium lacquer coating, which was correct for the pre-war planes IIRC. But, there seems to be some theories that they were finished in interior (??) green, and Dana Bell's name mentioned as a source. Is this true? If so, care to link to said body of work please? 

I can't say much about the wing guns - I've never dug into the operational records of the Midway defenders.

However, the aircraft were all SB2U-3s, which were all delivered with Dull Dark Green cockpits.  The aft fuselage was fabric covered, so you'll see the clear-doped fabric showing through the Dull Dark Green metal framework.

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Dana Bell said:

I can't say much about the wing guns - I've never dug into the operational records of the Midway defenders.

However, the aircraft were all SB2U-3s, which were all delivered with Dull Dark Green cockpits.  The aft fuselage was fabric covered, so you'll see the clear-doped fabric showing through the Dull Dark Green metal framework.

Cheers,

Dana

Well, there we go, straight from the horses mouth so to speak.