Dragons are real, and this one is Finnish-ed!

I was just looking at the mismatch on the intakes on riches kit and although i didn't  notice it on yours straight away its there and  looks to be evident at the rear too, I'm  sure you'll  nail it but for what these cost you'd  think they would build up to reflect that outlay

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I was just looking at the mismatch on the intakes on riches kit and although i didn't  notice it on yours straight away its there and  looks to be evident at the rear too, I'm  sure you'll  nail it but for what these cost you'd  think they would build up to reflect that outlay

Yes both mine and Rich's kits have the same issues, which either says something about the two of us (always a possibility!) or the Hasegawa kit. It would be good if another manufacturer stepped up and gave us a better fitting, more accurate kit and hopefully a two seater too.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2021 at 11:46 AM, modelling minion said:

Great picture, shows the white codes but unfortunately no Bison markings.

Oh yes, this is an early image of it! There are more photos at least in book "Saab Draken in the Finnish Air Force". Unfortunately I'm this week away from my sources but hopefully someone els has it ckoser to help you!

On 10/1/2021 at 10:22 PM, modelling minion said:

spacer.png

There are small intakes in dorsal spine below the rudder IIRC.

Cheers,

AaCee

Just now, AaCee26 said:

Oh yes, this is an early image of it! There are more photos at least in book "Saab Draken in the Finnish Air Force". Unfortunately I'm this week away from my sources but hopefully someone else has it ckoser to help you!

There are small intakes in dorsal spine below the rudder IIRC.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

Oh yes, this is an early image of it! There are more photos at least in book "Saab Draken in the Finnish Air Force". Unfortunately I'm this week away from my sources but hopefully someone els has it ckoser to help you!

It will be a little while before I reach  the decal stage as I need to concentrate on finishing my Hs-126 in the high wing GB so I can wait a week.

I actually had to trim part of the locating pins/blocks on both of my intakes to get them to fit snuggly, they caused, for me, the intakes to sit out a wee bit too far.

I did notice that mismatch at the base of the tail assembly where the tail unit meets the fuselage. I thought was meant to be there, Hasegawa aren't that bad. With the rest of the fit around here I should have done more test fitting, I reckon some cutting and a few small plastic shims and I could have gotten a better fit.

No update on mine as I was playing/fondling with the F-14. 🥰  :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

HI Craig. How are you doing now? I'm sorry I didn't end up replying to your previous reply but it's been a busy period again. We are both well, thank you, and hope you are making some progress? I've just been catching up with a few builds and noticed your's here. Looking good so far and hope you are able to sort out the intake issue.

On a seperate note - did you see this post on the Victory Show's Facebook page. I hadn't. My son's wife noticed it and he sent it to me:  https://www.facebook.com/foxlandsfarmcosby/ :thumbsup:

Take care.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PlaStix said:

HI Craig. How are you doing now? I'm sorry I didn't end up replying to your previous reply but it's been a busy period again. We are both well, thank you, and hope you are making some progress? I've just been catching up with a few builds and noticed your's here. Looking good so far and hope you are able to sort out the intake issue.

On a seperate note - did you see this post on the Victory Show's Facebook page. I hadn't. My son's wife noticed it and he sent it to me:  https://www.facebook.com/foxlandsfarmcosby/ :thumbsup:

Take care.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Mate, still here and still plodding along slowly.

A mate showed me that the Victory Show is on again next year, hardly surprising seeing how many people were there on the Saturday, still its good to have something else to look forward to next year.

• Like 1

A little more actual progress to report.

Having got all of the filling and sanding done (a surprising amount for a Hasegawa kit) it was time to get the kit moving again. I have added the intakes and aerials on the fuselage spine;

spacer.png

And have opened up what should be an intake on the lower leading edge of the tail fin and added a couple of bits of scrap material to represent the louvers on the real thing, it's not brilliant but it is better than it comes straight from the kit;

spacer.png

You can also see from the picture above that I have sprayed the leading edge of the fin (and the wings) in a metallic shade as this is how they are on the real thing. Another detail missed by Hasegawa are the two prominent bars in the front canopy, or rather under it. I am not sure if this is part of the de-icing/misting system but they are very noticeable on the real thing so I have added a couple of lengths of wire to represent them;

spacer.png

I then added the front windscreen which was a very nice snug fit. After that was all dry your resident idiot here remembered that he hadn't yet fitted the extra piece to the coaming which has the gunsight on it, so guess what I will be trying to fit later!

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 10

I thought I'd better check up on what you're uptown here..... forgetting things huh......old age catching up..... now what was I talking about.............................................. :D

Looking great, I didn't know about those pipes in the front cockpit, better add those ............... plus that extra bit of coaming and gun site as well.... oh that's right mine already has that moulded in! :tease:

Nice work though. painting time soon.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I thought I'd better check up on what you're uptown here..... forgetting things huh......old age catching up..... now what was I talking about.............................................. :D

Looking great, I didn't know about those pipes in the front cockpit, better add those ............... plus that extra bit of coaming and gun site as well.... oh that's right mine already has that moulded in! :tease:

Nice work though. painting time soon.

Cheers Rich, still plodding along mate and yes most definitely getting older.

So glad that you remembered to fit your gun sight. I tried to fit mine but couldn't do it with the front screen in place so had to remove it, turned out it was a good thing I did as some glue had run on the inside of it, oh joy. So it was out with the sanding sticks and after a while I had sanded the damage away, then I used various grades of polishing sticks to remove the sanding scratches and once happy with it I dipped it in klear and it is now drying. Don't you just love this relaxing hobby of ours!

On a more positive note I have painted the undersides, despite the compressor sending that much water through to the airbrush that it was spitting like an over excited Cobra at times, oh well. Hopefully I shall post some pictures tomorrow.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

How did I miss this, Craig! I’ll need time to read through the great notes here because I have a 1/72 Hase Finn Draken lined up very soon :)

Martin

Hi Martin, glad to have you aboard mate. There are so many great builds going on now that it is impossible to keep up with everything going on. I look forward to your 1/72 Draken.

6 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Hi Martin, glad to have you aboard mate. There are so many great builds going on now that it is impossible to keep up with everything going on. I look forward to your 1/72 Draken.

I have two to finish and then a MiG-23MF. After that it’ll be the Draken and then a Sk35 too :)

• Like 1

I was a bit lucky with the gun sight on mine as it's moulded in on the coaming of the Aires cockpit. I just have to remember the wee PE and clear bits!!

I hope to be able to start painting her this weekend.

WHAT!!! Our hobby is meant to be enjoyable....... no one told me that..... I know it's bloody expensive!!! :D  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Beautiful attention to detail Craig.

Really love the bars, they’ll really add something.

I think We’ve all forgotten HUD glazing in the past it’s so easy to forget.

(or maybe its just you and I?) :stupid:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I have two to finish and then a MiG-23MF. After that it’ll be the Draken and then a Sk35 too :)

Sounds like you are very busy Martin.

I do like the Mig-23, a great looking aircraft that is on my "to do" list too.

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I know it's bloody expensive!!!

Very true mate, the cost of new kits seems to be rising all the time. Though the likes of ICM seem to keep things more reasonable, really looking forward to their Bronco.

10 hours ago, Dansk said:

Beautiful attention to detail Craig.

Really love the bars, they’ll really add something.

I think We’ve all forgotten HUD glazing in the past it’s so easy to forget.

(or maybe its just you and I?) :stupid:

Cheers Paul, no I don't think its just us that forgets things like  HUD glazing, and it actually turned out to be a good thing this time or I wouldn't have found the glue on the front canopy until the end of the build.

As promised here are a couple of pics of the undersides after painting;

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hopefully you can tell from the pictures that I used a couple of different metallic shades on the central section as this is quite prominent on the actual aircraft, for the grey I had a look through my paints but haven't got the FS number quoted by some for it so picked something that looked right to me. I went with Gunze's FS 36320 as it looked to have a nice blue tint to it as the undersides of the Draken seem to have, when dry though it didn't seem to have enough of a blue tint to it so I mixed some with some RLM 65 and I am much happier with it and that is what you can see above.

The front canopy section has been re-fitted after it dried from it's latest coat of Klear after the repairs;

spacer.png

As you can see I even remembered to fit the HUD this time! It needed a thin smear of PPP around the edge and when that is dry I shall mask it up in preparation for applying the upper surface colours, which should hopefully happen over the next few days.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 11