Dragons are real, and this one is Finnish-ed!

And just for Pat @PattheCat here is an in process hot of the upper surfaces;

spacer.png

A little bit of pre-shading and then I used Gunze Olive Drab which whilst not the exact colour looks very good to mt dodgy eyes, especially as a faded/weathered shade. Some of the panels and panel lines were simply given more coats of paint than the majority of the airframe to vary the tone some more. Next job is to try to work out which paint to use to replicate the blue/green colour for the other part of the camouflage.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 11

Thanks for the personal heads up Craig @modelling minion. That way I can appreciate your subtle painting/pre-shading in progress (a field in which " and I try, and I try but I can't get no satisfaction". Concerning Draken colours, here is what Bjorn was so kind as to tell me last year:

"XF-83 is a good match, I would only reccomend you to add just a hint of blue. H54 could work on a slightly faded Draken, however H55 is a better match. 

The faded olive green can easily be achieved by adding a little light grey, I have used H338. The blue is more difficult, since it turned almost green on very weathered Individuals. So here you have to check references. To get the faded blue, I used H55 and H338, very faded blue could be achieved with more H338 and a little H46 Emerald green. But maybe H54 + H46 will work as well. And maybe you can get less faded blue with H54 and a little black. "

Sorry @Bjorn, I didn't put the Draken on the workbench ... yet.

Keep me drooling 🤤

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the paint matches Pat and Bjorn, very helpful.👍 

2 hours ago, PattheCat said:

I didn't put the Draken on the workbench ... yet.

Something I think you need to put right! There are no excuses for not building a Draken, even our slightly wayward Australian co-host has finally pulled his finger out of his bum and made a start on his.😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Despite a deep search of all the available paint in Minion towers I was unable to turn up the colours suggested by Pat and Bjorn, typical isn't it. So after looking through what was actually available I found a pot of Tamiya XF-54 which looked quite close to me, I also thought that by painting it on top of the OD would help it look close to the colour I wanted, especially as I am doing one with faded paintwork, anyway this is what she looks like;

spacer.png

Sorry about the poor quality of the picture but you get the idea.

You will also notice that I have removed the masking from the leading edges of the wings and tail and I am very pleased to report that the metallic paint remained intact. Next job will be to have a go at painting the intakes and large aerial on the spine which are made of fibreglass.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 9

On 10/4/2021 at 2:08 PM, AaCee26 said:

Oh yes, this is an early image of it! There are more photos at least in book "Saab Draken in the Finnish Air Force". Unfortunately I'm this week away from my sources but hopefully someone els has it ckoser to help you!

Have you had a chance to check your book for pictures yet? I am at the point of needing to apply the serial numbers and haven't found any pictures of 207 with Vincent on the tail.

The painting looks really neat and nice, great stuff! What shades and primer did you use for the NMF belly? Curious since I have a Draken decently high up in the stash.. In the past, as i made my first aircraft using Alclad, a J 35J, I just used a single shade.. 😚 Next time I need to up the game..

Anyways, you job looks really nice. The camo shape is well done and you got the NMF leading edge correct, unliek many! ;) Those that do a tapering following the kit´s panel line..

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paramedic said:

The painting looks really neat and nice, great stuff! What shades and primer did you use for the NMF belly? Curious since I have a Draken decently high up in the stash.. In the past, as i made my first aircraft using Alclad, a J 35J, I just used a single shade.. 😚 Next time I need to up the game..

Anyways, you job looks really nice. The camo shape is well done and you got the NMF leading edge correct, unliek many! ;) Those that do a tapering following the kit´s panel line..

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

I didn't use any primer on this one (I am a bad boy aren't I!) but the metal paints were Vallejo acrylic chrome and flat aluminium, could probably have used more than 2 shades to be honest.

The leading edge has caught a few out before now hasn't it, I found a decent walkaround which showed that it didn't follow the kits panel lines but I can see how people can make the mistake.

I look forward to seeing your Draken when you make a start on it.

Ah no, I do not think so.. :) The guy that helped me out on our loacla Forum, when i bought an airbrush.. he invited me over, popped a few cheap beer and showed off his techniques (he has been feautured on the LSP Forums build!) - did he prime when he showed off Alclad? Did he fakk.. ;)

I do not judge, I just try to pick up hints, tips etc - what do I know.. So no worries mate!

I think it looks pretty good. Have meant to try those vallejos but bought so much new paint, I have yet to..

Yupp, I think I did the same with my first Draken! ;)

Sure! In the meantime, I´ll admire yours! :D

• Thanks 1

Hi, Craig. A question if you don't mind.

What varnish do you use over Vallejo metallizers before decals, wash ... I'm asking because Tamiya and Gunze gloss (thinned with 50 % Tamiya X20A and applied in light coats) alter the "metal looking" finish and never produce an even result (like if part of the pigments was washed away in places).

Thanks.

Pat

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PattheCat said:

Hi, Craig. A question if you don't mind.

I don't mind at all Pat, happy to try and help mate.

I have an old bottle of Klear that I use for my varnish, and I brush it on using a wide,flat brush. I believe that the Klear replacement is a version of Pledge.

• Thanks 1

Looking good Craig.  Hope to find time to get to mine before year's end.  I think I'm going to have to abort the Tomcat GB though.....just not enough time with the increased load at work.  :(  One of these days I might have someone that can backfill/assist me...problem is every time I start training someone, they get swiped by others in the office to do their stuff.  And they wonder why I don't want to try to train anyone anymore...:rofl2:

• Thanks 1