F-4EJ Kai Questions

McG

Currently building the ZM 1/48 F-4EJ Kai, and have a  few questions related to colours that are not well explained in the instructions. 

1. The instructions show a demarcation between white and the exterior grey occuring at the join between the intake trunking and the intake. Is this accurate for a JASDF Phantom? 

2. There is no colour listed for the interior of the air brake housing. The air brakes themselves are red on their inside. I have painted the interior white for the time being. Should this be red? 

3. What colours are the edges of the flaps and slats painted?

This should answer some of your questions: http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/waF4EJ.html

Looks like on the F-4EJ Kai, the grey went on a little further inside the intake. Edges of control surfaces are red. Usually, on Phantoms the interior of the air brake housing was the same colour as the rest of the wing in that area, with the door itself being red. But I'm not 100% sure if that was the case on these.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

This should answer some of your questions: http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/waF4EJ.html

Looks like on the F-4EJ Kai, the grey went on a little further inside the intake. Edges of control surfaces are red. Usually, on Phantoms the interior of the air brake housing was the same colour as the rest of the wing in that area, with the door itself being red. But I'm not 100% sure if that was the case on these.

The website is excellent! Thanks for posting the link as it's not one I have come across. 

The intake interior colour starts at the back of the engine intake ramp, in a straight line. The white comes to the front of the outer ntake panels themselves.

As has been said, insignia red is the colour for the edges of all control surfaces.

The interior of the air brakes is white, with insignia red for the brake surfaces.

All information taken from the Model Art Profile book.

Andy

• Thanks 1

Nice site, that'll come in handy for me as well as I've started mine too. I'd agree the instructions are slightly lacking in some content regarding painting, seem to want to concentrate more on what parts are called on the real aircraft and the differences between the EJ and other Phantom marks.🤷‍♂️

On 09/09/2021 at 22:00, Creepy Pete said:

Nice link, thanks for that.

The best reference you can get for building a JASDF Phantom is the Model Art Profile book. It is in Japanese, but the photos say it all.

I agree about the ZM instructions. What a mess!

Andy 

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2021 at 8:29 PM, Red Dot said:

I agree about the ZM instructions. What a mess!

Andy 

ZM issued an announcement about a printing error in the instructions for SWS48-12 back in June (which will affect the the first batch of officially imported kits into the UK). Apparently part of the instructions about the upper camouflage pattern on the top of the wings is missing. The full announcement and a download for the corrected colour guide can be found at https://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/products/sws48_12_f4ejkai.html 

I hope that helps?

Duncan B

• Like 1

It's not that.

The instructions are an ergonomic nightmare and contain far too much extraneous information regarding the building of the kit.

Do you really need to know what each part is on the real aircraft, for instance?

Andy

• Like 1

On a related note, does anyone know of any seamless intakes for the ZM kit apart from the OOP Phase Hangar Resin and the GT Resin ones which are sold via Spruebrothers who are not sending goods to UK due post Brexit HMRC rules. 

In trying to make the kit intakes seamless or as smooth as I can get them, I have managed to create a saw tooth effect at the edge of each intake tube. 

On 9/20/2021 at 9:13 PM, Red Dot said:

It's not that.

The instructions are an ergonomic nightmare and contain far too much extraneous information regarding the building of the kit.

Do you really need to know what each part is on the real aircraft, for instance?

Andy

Sounds like my thoughts on Wingnut Wings instructions which I seem to be alone in disliking for those reasons.

Duncan B

On 9/20/2021 at 9:13 PM, Red Dot said:

Andy

Yes. As a young modeller (from the age of 6) I not only extended my reading skills but learnt a massive amount about a/c from the old style Airfix instructions. I remember the closely typed Stirling sheet when it first came out in particular. Then, in the early 1970s, there was the fun of trying to work out what the Hasegawa translations from Japanese to English actually meant.

• Like 1

I've bought my go to choice of mask set for my build, New Ware masks, and something seems a little off. The mask for the seal of the pilots canopy seems a bit short and not quite the correct profile. Also the masks for the side panels of the front windshield don't seem right. There's no real frame at the bottom of the side windshield of the real aircraft, only a small strip of sealant. The masks will end up giving you a thick strip of sealant and frame. Anyone else tried the New Ware set?🤷‍♂️