Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry M3 Grant 1/35

OutcastJoel

I found the Airfix M3 Grant in my local model shop and was impressed by the price for a full interior kit. With me being Nottinghamshire based and one of the markings being Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry, I was sold!

The one thing I don't like is the tracks so I replaced them with Mini Art workable plastic tracks. These are 1mm too wide for the kit drive wheels so I knocked up some spacers:

PXL_20210905_153147340

The fit is good and the interior is quite nice.

IMG-20210906-WA0010

Plenty of ejector pin marks to fill though.

PXL_20210908_085606104

I had a play with making rougher armour texture (although keeping it light on the sections of rolled plate).

PXL_20210908_183557389

One question I have though is this below. This looks like radio but I think this probably isn't right for a UK Grant which I understand to be housed in the turret.

PXL_20210908_183636155

Does anyone have any good photos of the interior of a Grant (especially the one at Bovington). I would love to know what should actually be there.

I picked up the New Vanguard book in the hope it would have something but it doesn't really.

• Like 9

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_Army_radio_sets should be of some help. It was probably refitted with a no.19 of one mark or another, for which there are lots of photos. That's available as a resin part from at least one company. Sorry but I can't recall the name(s).

Edited by Ade H
  • Thanks 1

One glaring error here by Academy (who make the "Airfix" kit) is that the Grant had the radio in the turret and not in the hull.  That was the whole reason for the Grant turret.  I believe that Academy have simply kept the Lee interior whereas the Lee and Grant were different internally.

Lees in UK service retained the hull radio but had the SCR628 replaced with a No19 set moved forward nearer the driver (who doubled as the operator) and mounted on the hull side rather than the sponson top.  Grants had a water tank and other stowage where Academy have put the SCR radio.

Panzer Art have just released an excellent No19 radio.  I've just bought a couple.  Resicast do a set including No19 & No38 wireless sets.  For Panzer Art in the UK and some other harder-to-find brands try Wildcats Models.  He has an eBay shop too.  

https://wildcatsmodels.com/metal-resin-adds/21003-panzer-art-135-re35-065-m2-browning-50-cal-heavy-machine-gun.html?search_query=radio&results=5

If you Google "M3 Grant interior" a few images pop up of various parts of the interior.  The Miniart Grant "interior" kit makes a more correct job of the Grant interior and there are many images of that on the Miniart website.

Interesting about the different track widths.  I've got a couple of the Minart T41s to fit to other brand kits.  The PMMS review of the Miniart T41s has them spot on for width: 11.62mm in 1/35.  Terry does however say that they fitted many other kit brand sprockets but NOT Academy, so the Academy sprockets are either too narrow or the toothed rings are unusually thick.

Edited by Das Abteilung
correction
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice work so far. I don't know if you are aware of this, but Terry Ashley of PMMS has an in depth review of this kit. Just ignore the bit about the too tall VVSS units as that only applied to the very first issues of the kit. They were subsequently corrected.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• OutcastJoel changed the title to Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry M3 Grant 1/35

Well, some progress has been made, I found this superb website:

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/manufacturer/m3grant/m3grant.html

And I drew up what will hopefully be a reasonable representation of a Mk19 in CAD. I just need to knock up the water tank and extra ammo box which sat where the US had their radio and then I can start painting the interior properly. 

• Thanks 1

So my attempts at a nice quick out of the box build without any real research isn't going entirely as planned.

In addition to the kit inside, I have blanked the bomb thrower port (the grey mess on the outside).

I have only found one photo of this tank and I can't see if the bomb thrower port is blanked or not but looking through other Grants in North Africa during 1942 suggests most were (which also means I can avoid making a fairly complex bit of equipment without feeling twitchy).

PXL_20210912_150521801

PXL_20210912_200945183

PXL_20210912_185651723

PXL_20210912_185729180

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you folks 😁

Once I have it finished I will take it outside into the daylight and get some nice photos. 

Don't get your hopes up though, the interior isn't great, I really struggled to make white look grubby effectively.

Some Bad News.  Apologies for not noticing sooner.

No Grants had the L/40 M3 main gun.  All 1,685 - without exception - had the shorter L/31 M2 gun. 

Late Lees did have the M3 gun but even the final production diesel Grant IIs in July 42 still had the M2.  The Grant build standard was not homogenised with the Lee even after the introduction of Lend-Lease and the integration of production capacity and no Grants went through Ordnance acceptance or had Ordnance serials allocated.  Even the adaption to the M3A3/A5 twin diesel powerplant for the final couple of months' production at Baldwin retained the remainder of the Grant build standard.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Some Bad News.  Apologies for not noticing sooner.

No Grants had the L/40 M3 main gun.  All 1,685 - without exception - had the shorter L/31 M2 gun. 

Late Lees did have the M3 gun but even the final production diesel Grant IIs in July 42 still had the M2.  The Grant build standard was not homogenised with the Lee even after the introduction of Lend-Lease and the integration of production capacity and no Grants went through Ordnance acceptance or had Ordnance serials allocated.  Even the adaption to the M3A3/A5 twin diesel powerplant for the final couple of months' production at Baldwin retained the remainder of the Grant build standard.

Is this the hull mounted 75mm?

The instructions were very unclear, I used the shorter of the two plain barrels available.

Yes.  The 75mm sponson gun. 

That can't surely be the shorter of the 2 in the kit?  It must be the longer.  Or it should have been inserted very much further into the mantlet.  The difference in real life was 675mm or 26 inches.  19mm in scale.

You say "plain" barrels.  Was there one with a counterweight option?  That would be very appropriate for a Grant: the M2 gun needed it to compensate the stabiliser for the shorter barrel.  Most Grants had the counterweight but it was not universal as the stabiliser was not initially fitted and was often disconnected if fitted.

KIt manufacturers do muddle up the gun barrels as they are often on sprues common to both Lee and Grant variants.  One advantage of Miniart's single-variant boxing approach.  They get the 37mm barrel wrong too.  All Grants had the shorter M5 whereas Lees had both the M5 and later the longer M6.

Grant with M2 gun and later production Lee with M3 gun for length comparison.  The M2 had a noticeable flare at the muzzle too.

spacer.png  spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sooo...

My plan to paint the tools by themselves and then glue them to the kit didn't happen.

I also dug through the kit box and found that there was indeed a shorter barrel with a distinct flair at the muzzle. 

So, the rear deck is awaiting repainting:

PXL_20211018_182228876

And I am trying to work out how to remove the existing barrel in such a way I can get the new one on ok...

It will probably need a canvas mantlet cover to hide the join.

• Like 7

Sounds like a job for PVA-soaked tissue paper.  Or maybe Milliput, Magic Sculp etc if you're good with those.  It is rare to see Grants in the desert without the cover anyway.  Panzer Art have a resin cover and aluminium barrel set (RE35-211), but that's an expensive fix at £6-7 and I'm not sure that you don't have to do any surgery to fit it.  I've got one for my Takom CDL but I haven't looked closely at it.

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...