English Electric Lightning Gun Pods

andyelbac

3 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

I thought that's what the question was about?

John

No, I think the question was about the two gun pack on the bottom of the aircraft that replaced the firestreak package. The image you posted (it is a great pic of the gunport by the way, very useful!) was of a upper gun port, but was mislabelled as a gun, at this stage in production the guns were probably not even fitted.

Selwyn

27 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

No, I think the question was about the two gun pack on the bottom of the aircraft that replaced the firestreak package. The image you posted (it is a great pic of the gunport by the way, very useful!) was of a upper gun port, but was mislabelled as a gun, at this stage in production the guns were probably not even fitted.

Selwyn

The original question was not confined to the lower guns, but related to all 4 gun troughs, top and bottom - would have to find my ancient kit but IIRC neither of them was convincing, the lower ones particularly shallow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Thats a picture of a gun port, not a Gun!

ADEN Guns look like  this.

Selwyn

And......breath 🏝everyone is a bombhead today 🙄 mind you im certainly not expert in my current job let alone lightning aden guns .....now Sea Harrier .....different story ....helps if you got a fat mate to sit under the pod....funny how this site brings back memories 😁

2 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Edited by junglierating

Gentleman (and Ladies, just in case)....to bring you all back to point. As much as I have enjoyed the discourse on where the guns were located, what type they were, how fast they fired and what the gun port rings were for, my original question was of a much more basic nature, namely, for those who can't  be a*sed to scroll to the beginning was; in the event that I wanted to fit nose cannons in my Airfix Lightning, what is the best way to hollow out the very shallow gun port panels provided for in the kit?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, andyelbac said:

Gentleman (and Ladies, just in case)....to bring you all back to point. As much as I have enjoyed the discourse on where the guns were located, what type they were, how fast they fired and what the gun port rings were for, my original question was of a much more basic nature, namely, for those who can't  be a*sed to scroll to the beginning was; in the event that I wanted to fit nose cannons in my Airfix Lightning, what is the best way to hollow out the very shallow gun port panels provided for in the kit?

I wanted to relieve you of that pain by having the covers in place that I dreamt up, but apparently I just did that - dream them up, even though I think they are identifiable in some pics.