Revell 1:48 F-14 Tomcat(old mould)question

FerretViking

Hello!

Long time lurker, but this is my first post. I’ve posted this on a few fb-pages, but no luck so far. Hopefully someone here is able to help🙂

I’m currently restoring an old Revell 1:48 F-14(Revell old mould- yes,I’m a sucker for punishment)
It’s coming together ok, but the afterburner nozzles are pretty much destroyed. Not that they looked good to begin with….. Anyone know which other brand might fit? They measure 22,8mm at the base. The ones from Monogram/Academy and Hasegawa are much larger. Does anyone here know, or can measure the dimensions for the Hobbyboss, Tamiya or Italeri?
Edit: for the ahem..metrically inclined, 22.8mm = 0,8976 or 57/64 inches according to the grand interweb🕺

Best regards

Lars

Welcome to the forum Lars ! Glad to have another owner of that piece of history that is the original Revell Tomcat... I bought one myself some 6 months ago just to complete my collection of 1/48 Tomcat kits and I believe it's the worst kit of this aircraft... but then it was also the first 1/48 kit of the Tomcat, so Revell can be excused for having produced something not really too accurate

I will check the Italeri parts for you, when you mean 22.8 mm at the base, is this outer diameter at the section where the nozzle meets the fuselage ?

Hello Giorgio!

I can’t decide which is worse, Revell or Fujimi. They both have their ups and downs. I’m pouring as much love as I can muster into this one, without going crazy on aftermarket additions. There would really be no end to the possibillities going down that route. Replacing several parts with leftover Monogram parts will do fine for this build. We’ll see how it turns out.

Anyway; yes the diameter where the nozzle meets the fuselage(the largest outside diameter of the nozzle) 🙂

Are we talking of an A model Tomcat I assume, no?

Revell Monigram also updated their mold to a kind I'd B/D model I used long time ago to convert an Italeri one to a more accurate GE powered JR B model.. 

https://www.scalemates.com/en/kits/revell-4540-grumman-f-14a-tomcat--140060

Basically this reissued kit?

Thanks for checking Giorgio!
I can only assume the Tamiya and Hobbyboss are also larger. Why wouldn't they be. Oh well, no luck then. Will try to either use the original exhausts, crappy as they may be, or possibly convert some Monogram ones.
So, pictures to be taken from the side and front only then 🙂

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Are we talking of an A model Tomcat I assume, no?

Revell Monigram also updated their mold to a kind I'd B/D model I used long time ago to convert an Italeri one to a more accurate GE powered JR B model.. 

https://www.scalemates.com/en/kits/revell-4540-grumman-f-14a-tomcat--140060

Hello Exdraken!
If I understand your question correctly; Yes, the one I'm building is the original Revell model, not the reissued Monogram. 

The one you link from scalemates is the one I have. The Maverick one is a reissued Monogram. A different beast all together.

The Monogram just so happens to be my all time favorite F-14 model, but ''sadly'', it's jet nozzles don't fit the Revell one very well.

Best regards

//Lars

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Yes and no, H-291, their legacy tooling and the one in the Scalemates link, which was wisely put to rest after Revell and Monogram combined. The Mono tooling the Maverick boxing is based on is superior on all accounts.

Edited by tempestfan
Should have noticed the link...

1 minute ago, tempestfan said:

No, H-291, their legacy tooling, which was wisely put to rest after Revell and Monogram combined. The Mono tooling the Maverick boxing is based on is superior on all accounts.

Correct on all points.
Fun fact: The one you linked to actually has the Fujimi model as the box-art. Which tells you a little something about how proud Revell must have felt about their product.. Not the first or last time a manufacturer takes some liberties with their box art, but ooof, that's a whopper 🙂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FerretViking said:

Correct on all points.
Fun fact: The one you linked to actually has the Fujimi model as the box-art. Which tells you a little something about how proud Revell must have felt about their product.. Not the first or last time a manufacturer takes some liberties with their box art, but ooof, that's a whopper 🙂

Now you mention it - I recall an ancient review noting this! The reason may have been simpler in that they had no test shot available for the box top picture. But anyway that means the Fujimi is older by definition, I guess. The legacy Revell certainly is no masterpiece, it's rather hamfisted and not unlike their F-15. 

I had forgotten about the Fujimi kit, that I also have in the stash.. kit that has been reissued several times, so much that my box includes a pretty good much more recent decal sheet.

Hard to choose which is worse... maybe the Fujimi one is slightly better because it is more sharply moulded but that's it. Sure neither is a kit worth searching for today.

I like the Monogram kit but I also feel that a lot of the of the positive reviews it gets on the web is because it's from Monogram...

I've yet to build the Italeri kit, in the box looks as something with pros and cons compared to the Monogram kit but I don't know yet what assembling the kit may bring...

Speaking of nozzles, I also have a set of Aires exhausts (actually two, one open and one closed) but as these are designed for the Hasegawa kit I guess they would also be much wider than the Revell parts

23 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

Now you mention it - I recall an ancient review noting this! The reason may have been simpler in that they had no test shot available for the box top picture. But anyway that means the Fujimi is older by definition, I guess. The legacy Revell certainly is no masterpiece, it's rather hamfisted and not unlike their F-15. 

Both are from 1978 acc. to scalemates, so yes, I assume it was all they had at hand when the photographer knocked on the door. And, yes the F-14 could be called hamfisted without anyone taking much offense I believe. Haven't tried their F-15. Still, I love to try to make lesser kits presentable, (within the levels of my skills and patience)

26 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

I had forgotten about the Fujimi kit, that I also have in the stash.. kit that has been reissued several times, so much that my box includes a pretty good much more recent decal sheet.

Hard to choose which is worse... maybe the Fujimi one is slightly better because it is more sharply moulded but that's it. Sure neither is a kit worth searching for today.

I like the Monogram kit but I also feel that a lot of the of the positive reviews it gets on the web is because it's from Monogram...

I've yet to build the Italeri kit, in the box looks as something with pros and cons compared to the Monogram kit but I don't know yet what assembling the kit may bring...

Speaking of nozzles, I also have a set of Aires exhausts (actually two, one open and one closed) but as these are designed for the Hasegawa kit I guess they would also be much wider than the Revell parts

Having built both, I feel The Fujimi has(much)better overall detail, but worse overall shape imho.  If I was slightly mad, i would get one of each to perhaps combine them into one (possibly) presentable model. But that is not going to happen. It is what it is, and I will not make this a giant project. Only wish some better looking exhausts would be available, but alas...

Regarding the Monogram,  I 'm only speaking from personal experience, having built 4 of them(2 of them 2 times over if that makes any sense) + 3 more in the stash.

I have a few Hasegawa's, and the nozzles are much too large, hence the Aires you're referencing will also be the same.

I also would like to build the Italeri one day. As far as i can tell, it seems to be within help from some aftermarket parts, unlike others..... New wheels & seats should be a great improvement.

• 3 months later...

Lars 

The only F-14A  I have is the Hasegawa 1/48.

So I would recommend you  ask for measurements of the Academy, 1/48, kit, because some people say it is "based strongly" on the Monogram kit !

Note that Revell is the actual owner of the Monogram kits molds, but  Revell had by 1980 its own  kits  like A-10,  F-14A and  the MiG-25.

Obviously the Monogram  kit of the F-14A was much better than that crude Revell offer and Revell used to release the Monogram molds after.

SouthViper 

On 13/12/2021 at 09:14, SouthViper said:

Lars 

The only F-14A  I have is the Hasegawa 1/48.

So I would recommend you  ask for measurements of the Academy, 1/48, kit, because some people say it is "based strongly" on the Monogram kit !

Note that Revell is the actual owner of the Monogram kits molds, but  Revell had by 1980 its own  kits  like A-10,  F-14A and  the MiG-25.

Obviously the Monogram  kit of the F-14A was much better than that crude Revell offer and Revell used to release the Monogram molds after.

SouthViper 

Hello SouthViper!
The Academy afterburner parts are indeed a drop fit for the Monogram F-14. Have used them on at least one Monogram. However, the kit in question is the old Revell mould, which is a totally different kit from the Monogram(now Revell) kit. I found no other solution, so ended up glueing together the broken original parts, and left it at that.

//Lars

On 16/12/2021 at 06:30, FerretViking said:

Hello SouthViper!
The Academy afterburner parts are indeed a drop fit for the Monogram F-14. Have used them on at least one Monogram. However, the kit in question is the old Revell mould, which is a totally different kit from the Monogram(now Revell) kit. I found no other solution, so ended up glueing together the broken original parts, and left it at that.

//Lars

Hi Lars

In fact.

I remember whem Academy released its F-14A and then was strong rumours this kit was in fact based on the Monogram kit.

Academy made some fine engraved panel lines but the shape was the very same as the Monogram, including some errors in radar nose section.

SouthViper 

On 18/12/2021 at 00:09, SouthViper said:

Hi Lars

In fact.

I remember whem Academy released its F-14A and then was strong rumours this kit was in fact based on the Monogram kit.

Academy made some fine engraved panel lines but the shape was the very same as the Monogram, including some errors in radar nose section.

SouthViper 

The Academy is very much a refined copy of the Monogram. The landing gear, cockpit etc. are direct copies. However, Academy made some error when molding the fuselage, leading to a weird fat nose section which is a dealbreaker for many. I've learned that tweaking the framing of the windshield helps a lot for the overall appearance. Good enough for me anyway. Personally, I feel the angle of the intakes(or lack of angle) is a bigger issue than the nose, but that's me.  Anyway, only built one of those, but would gladly do another🙂