SAAB JA37 Viggen, Jetmads 1/32

Aigore

Jan,

What a STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS looking Viggen you have built ,with so many detailed parts, that it has been tremendously sweet and enthralling to follow your build/construction et al.

:thumbsup:  :yahoo:

She looks quite majestic and mean with it.

Thank you. 

KUDOS....      :worthy: :worthy::worthy:

• Like 1

Jan,

What a STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS looking Viggen you have built ,with so many detailed parts, that it has been tremendously sweet and enthralling to follow your build/construction et al.

Thank you. 

{ and I get to see this build threefold.   :wicked:  }.

1 hour ago, HOUSTON said:

Jan,

Thank you. 

Thanks Huston :D

it's been a joy to have everyone on this ride hope my next build will be as crowded :)

1 hour ago, billn53 said:

What a masterpiece!!! This has been an awe inspiring build! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Thanks billn53 :D

Hope you hang around for the finish pictures whenever that happens :P

10 minutes ago, Electric Indigo said:

That was quite the journey, thanks for sharing! Maybe you'll find the time for an outdoor/daylight shot.

Thanks Electric Indigo :D

That would be interesting

4 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

Jan,

Thank you. 

What he said (only louder and with more emotion 😂)

A tour de force of resin modelling, and practically unique at this point. Really well done 👏👏👏

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

What he said (only louder and with more emotion 😂)

A tour de force of resin modelling, and practically unique at this point. Really well done 👏👏👏

Thanks Alan :D

9 hours ago, drake122 said:

Fascinating work. Now I've learned two more words in Swedish- Varning and Raketstol, haha. Until now, I only knew Jolo Pucky, which means Santa Claus, I am told. 🎅

Thanks drake122 :D

LoL, joulupukki is santa In Finnish in Swedish he is called Jultomten :P

38 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Magnificent!

John

🇺🇦

Thank you John :D

Happy to have you on board :)

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, drake122 said:

Until now, I only knew Jolo Pucky, which means Santa Claus, I am told. 🎅

Father Christmas is called Jultomten :).

The Pucky part sounds like somebody was pulling your leg 🤣

Cheers, Moggy (accruing Swedishness since 1984)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Moggy said:

Father Christmas is called Jultomten :).

The Pucky part sounds like somebody was pulling your leg 🤣

Cheers, Moggy (accruing Swedishness since 1984)

Appearently, I was a victim of betrayal and treachery then! 🤣

• Haha 3

• 3 months later...

Some news....

My attempts to get a manufacturor to make turned brass probes for Viggen in 1/32 has failed  

But I haven't given up, I have ordered several pitottubes from Master that I will try to adapt to Viggen...we shall see

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

It's a wrap!

So after almost half a year on hold I have finaqlly finnished the last bits.

I had waited for either Master or Maestro to make a metal pitot tube for Viggen in 1/32nd scale but unfortunately that did not come to fruit.

In stead I started looking for tubes to adapt. I ordered a Hawker Hunter tube in 1/32 and a F-100 ditto...and oddly I found that Master had pitot tubes for JAS39 Gripen in 1/32.

Upon recieveing the tubes I dsimissed the F-100 tube out of hand, the Hunter tube could be adapted BUT the Gripen tubes were really interesting.

At first I thought the Gripen tubes were in the wrong scale but when I compared to 1/48 I saw that they indeed were larger.

IMG_6939.JPG

As a matter of fact they are exactly the same length as the Viggen pitot tube!

IMG_6940.JPG

I still had to adapt it a bit since there is a thicker section at the base of the Gripen tube with a cone at the end. 

I sanded the cone to the thickness of the base section and drilled a 1.2mm hole in the nose of the Viggen.

IMG_6943.JPG

It still differs a bit from the Viggen tube, there should be a slight bulge at the end of the Viggen tube and the shaft should be the same width instead of progressingly thinner as the Gripen tube. But in the end it looks the best!

So my big tip is that you should get Master's Gripen pitottube set in 1/32nd scale!

IMG_6944.JPG

Also the fin pitot tube is usable from that set. Again not 100% correct as the it should be constant width instead of thinning towards the end...but it looks good! And it's metal!

IMG_6941.JPG

I drilled a 0.8mm hole in the Jetmads part (after breaking off the resin tube) and glued the secondary pitottube in place. It cracked a bit so I had to fix with CA glue and then sand it before painting and installing it on the kit.

IMG_6947.JPG

IMG_6948.JPG

I had other stuff to do as well...

I had glued the saftey handle wrong so I had to remove it and reattach it.

IMG_6942.JPG

And lastly There should be protruding a couple of tubes from the tailcone. Probably cooling inlets for the stuff in the tail cone.

Jetmads had the tubes molded in place but I removed them to be able to clean the surface.

I made them from warm drawn sprue, glued them in place and painted them black. They should really be separate parts, Jetmads!

IMG_6945.JPG

IMG_6946.JPG

With that the build is a wrap.....finally and I will take neato pics of the finished model during the week!

IMG_6949.JPG

Cheers and thanks for all the support during the build!

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Bravo! Definitely a masterpiece in 1/32, I’ve enjoyed following your progress and am happy you found a solution for the pitot tubes. What’s your next project going to be?

Thanks billn53 :D

I'm currently working on an Ukranian Flanker in 1/48. been waiting for decals but they have shown up now so progress will resume :D

4 hours ago, Electric Indigo said:

Congratulation on finishing this monster of a kit!

Re. the safety handle – shouldn't it be folded back into the headreast when the plane is parked?

Thanks Electric Indigo :D

Nope, it is safe when the handle is pulled out and live when pushed into the headrest, it's not an ejection handle :)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Excellent finish.

john. 🇺🇦

PS: I won’t tell anyone about the incorrect pitots if you don’t.  😜

Thanks John and thanks for your confidentiality 🤫

1 hour ago, Bobby No Mac said:

Fantastic work. I've learnt a lot watching this build and will be referring back to it when I have a stab at my Special Hobby Viggens :like:

Thanks Bobby :D

Looking forwards to the build!

31 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Great job! Well done. 👍👍👍

Many thanks Steve :D

• Like 1