SAAB JA37 Viggen, Jetmads 1/32

Aigore

Nice work! Honestly, I'm not a fan of pre-shading, I think it's a waste of time myself. But you seem to have got the balance about right, it works well enough even under that spot lighting 👍

3 hours ago, Alan P said:

Nice work! Honestly, I'm not a fan of pre-shading, I think it's a waste of time myself. But you seem to have got the balance about right, it works well enough even under that spot lighting 👍

Thanks Alan :D

it's just another tool in the toolbox, you use it when you need it...no more no less :)

It´s Friday again....all be it a very early Friday, and it´s time for an update.
It is time for paint and I will actually give you 3 updates in one go but there will not be the usual Sunday update though but I´m sure you will be pleased anyways.

Green...

The time has come to start on the splinter scheme..... or Leaf Pile as it is called in Sweden.

First off I had to mask off the underside....

IMG_5660.JPG

IMG_5661.JPG

And for the mid green I went with MRPs excellent Mid green

IMG_5662.JPG

I always start with the mid green on a Viggen splinter scheme and I start by covering the entire kit. Didn´t take that much paint as I would think, I used up my old bottle of mid green though but it was only 1/3 full. 5 half cups for covering the kit and touchups. Must say it served me well , 4x 1/48th scale kits and one 1/32nd scale :D

Anyhoo....it´s green now :D

IMG_5663.JPG

IMG_5664.JPG

A short but time consuming update :P

Cheers!

• Like 16

The tan....

I run this very basic so if you already know just enjoy the pics and move on :P

Ok, time for that strangely weird tan on the VIggen that can take on any hue from sand, red brown to almost gray. More on that later first masking!

I use the Maestro masking sheet, partly because I popped the idea that he should blow up his existing masks to 1/32 and because I got a set free as finders fee :P

(btw, sorry for the bad white balance throughout this post, I´ll try make amends)

IMG_5679.JPG

Just like it´s smaller siblings it´s  three sheets of masking joy....I actually like masking with this set....it will be my 4th model I used it on (tho smaller)

So I don´t expect any unknown problems other than the usal from using a 2D sheet to cover a 3D surface.

IMG_5681.JPG

OK, here´s the victim ready and in position.

IMG_5680.JPG

As I painted it in the wonderful Mid green from MRP it is of course the first colour to be masked.

I always begin with this mask on the left wing, it´s the easiest mask and it is like finding a corner in a puzzle, I begin here and let it grow over the surface of the kit.

IMG_5682.JPG

The left wing done..... not so complicated and only take a few minutes to apply. 

IMG_5683.JPG

Then I move on to do the right wing, the flat surfaces of the wings and fins are simply the simplest to begin with.

IMG_5684.JPG

Sometimes you end up with a spot where the masks don´t cover. I think this mask was foremost for the AJ and they have lantirns right next to the forward radarsensor.

IMG_5685.JPG

You just fill the space with either tape or the strips that comes with the set.

There are no thing as a perfectly painted Viggen, there are not two Viggen with exctly the same cammo even though the same masking matts where used during factory painting.

A pilot told me once that the paint weighs between 4 and 500kg and are 10% slower than an unpainted jet. The sacrifices we do for a nice paintjob :P

IMG_5686.JPG

And the fin...both sides

IMG_5687.JPG

IMG_5688.JPG

The left canard, the right canard only have a tip of the front  masked...so nothing to show.

IMG_5689.JPG

With that I moved on to the forward section of the left fuselage....

IMG_5690.JPG

The right side...

IMG_5691.JPG

Now I started with the trickier bits since there's lots of curves on the flanks.

A bit of patience and forgivness to your self....perfect alignment is a mystical beast  I've heard of in tales.

IMG_5692.JPG

Then the other side, you notice that I save the spine for last.

IMG_5693.JPG

With the spine masked it was time to make my M507 tan paint. nLIke I mentioned at th beginning of this post the tan is tricky.

The MRP swedish tan is alright but I like the tan to be darker and mirkier, leaning towards grey.

My mix is 2 parts MRP Swedish tan, 1 part MRP Swedish dark green and lastly I add a few drops of dark gray. This is the mix I like, it's pulling towards green and gray. I don't say this is the way (hehe) but this is how I do it and how I like it.

IMG_5694.JPG

And this is how it looks on the kit...I have saved the mixture for bettering if needed. Tomorrow I´ll mask the tan and then paint the dark green.

IMG_5695.JPG

Cheers!

• Like 14

Dark Green...

Yup, another shorty..

Here is how I left it yesterday...

IMG_5696.JPG

SO I masked the tan....

IMG_5697.JPG

And shot MRP Swedish Dark Green.... Tamiya XF-13 JN Green match pretty well too

IMG_5698.JPG

IMG_5699.JPG

Tomorow I´ll mask off the dark green and paint the black and then it´s revealing time :D

Cheers!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Impressive masking, I may follow your lead with the mask set as I have the 1/72 Special Hobby Viggen waiting to be started.

Thanks neil5208 :D

I look forward to see the results!

5 hours ago, Wlad said:

Thanks for the tutorial on using masks for the splinter camouflage, @Aigore. She's looking great.

Cheers,

Wlad

Thanks Wlad :D

I was hoping to show that it is not as hard to do, if you just take it easy

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Looking good so far, I admire you’re patience.

Waiting impatiently for the eventual unmasking.

John

Thanks John :D

Patience is something we modellers have plenty of and just working a small bit at a time makes the most complex challenges bearable :)

2 hours ago, Electric Indigo said:

Actually, this is the way... 😀

There are few things in modeling as satisfying as un-masking a Viggen splinter camo paintjob.

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

Excellent tutorial, you've made the Swedish splinter scheme less scary by your clear explanation. Maybe one day I'll try it!

Thanks Electric Indigo and Alan :D

Yes there are few things as nice as removing masks!

doing the masking is really no worse than applying the gogleplex stencils of a F-4 :P Do a little at a time, break up the big task into smaller ones.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tomjw said:

Very very impressive masking and painting. I've bookmarked this for when I tackle my 1/48 AJ.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Tom :D

I hope I scared off some of the deamons of making a Swedish splinter scheme .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, RicardoD said:

Fantastic build! Looking forward to see this beauty unveiled...

Thanks RicardoD :D

I might still have time to do an update tomorrow...been a busy weekend :)

• Like 1

Well I got a surprise for you, I wasn't sure I could make the usual Sunday update hence the extra friday updates.As it turns out I had the the time and
I won´t torture you any longer than necessary, so here goeas

Unveiling!

Ok, this is where I left it yesterday.....time to mask the dark green!

IMG_5700.JPG

And the dark green masked

IMG_5701.JPG

IMG_5702.JPG

IMG_5703.JPG

Paint it black!  I use the MRP black, it's slightly greyish but not as off black as Tamiya NATO black. but really any black works

IMG_5704.JPG

And now for the great unveiling!

IMG_5705.JPG

Got paint pulled at a few places...

IMG_5706.JPG

and I missed securing one paintborder oh well could have been worse.

IMG_5707.JPG

Other than that it looks fabulous

IMG_5708.JPG

IMG_5709.JPG

IMG_5710.JPG

IMG_5711.JPG

IMG_5752.JPG

I finish the session with a picture of it with another projekt in the works.

IMG_5713.JPG

Cheers!

• Like 22

7 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Very impressive indeed. And thank you for the tutorial.

Thanks Pete  :D

I try to mission for the joy of building Swedish jets.......who knows maybe Tamiya would do one some dayone

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Wow!!

Even with the minor glitches it still looks fantastic.

John

Thanks John :D

I hope I have shown that making the splinter scheme isn't so hard as one might think.

• Like 1