SAAB JA37 Viggen, Jetmads 1/32

Aigore

I have a small anouncement :D

My next project will be Jedmads´1/32nd scale JA37 Viggen.
I just recieved the box, took a pic ture of the box and then my camera ran out of juice :P
Anyway I have a few things to be done with first so this is a TBA of sorts :D

But this is where it´ll happen anyway so keep an eye out for updates!

IMG_4726.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Edited by Aigore
  • Like 16

53 minutes ago, Deano353 said:

I read this is 3D printed and Resin I'm looking forward to seeing the contents and how good the detail is.

Simply stunning.... I have made a quick look see at twitter at #plamoSE, it's in Swedish but I guess it can translate.

I will do a deeper review/presentation later thiugh

47 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

Great!!! 

Still waiting for mine to be send...30 in front of me

You will not be disappointed....and you will be surprised by how small the box is.

• Like 3

Ok, I guess you´ve waited long enough for a presentation of the kit :D

So let´s get to it then!

The boxart really captures the Viggen and it´s purpos in a coldwar Sweden.

IMG_4728.JPG?width=180&height=180&fit=bo

Upon lifting the lid there is a colorful cover to keep parts from bouncing around in the box.

IMG_4729.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Off with the cover and we are greeted by the instructions and the decals.

IMG_4730.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

The instructions are printed on glossy paper and is indeed in a very nice formate to have an evening read :P Very detailed and ...classy!

IMG_4731.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

There are 3 decal sheets, 2 A4 sized and a smaller with Air Wing emblems....and to tell the truth I´m not that impressed by them. colors are outside borders and the feel gritty....not a good start.

IMG_4732.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

The two larger sheets are another deal...glossy and thin, looking great!

(edited)_IMG_4733.JPG?width=1920&height=

Aha, that explains it...printed by Cartograph :D strange that they didn´t do the Air Wing emblems? room for improvment.

IMG_4735.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Hmm, the instrument decals look so so... Quinta studios, I´m looking at you, do something nice for us!

IMG_4734.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Odd to see a box without spruesheets :P  The parts are well packed and protected....sweeeeeeet!

IMG_4736.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Looking at the resin it is amazingly detailed, no air pockets or craters...smooth with fine panlelines and rivets! I really like the sublte riveting.

IMG_4737.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

IMG_4738.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

The inside is thoughtfully planned for airducts and the RAT. there is a panel covering the RAT if you want to build it in flight and it is easily removable if you want the innards to show

IMG_4739.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

IMG_4742.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

The midsection...

IMG_4743.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

IMG_4744.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

The tail cone is 3D-printed and it looks amazing! wonderful details the layers show a bit but that´s a simple polish and primer issue.

IMG_4745.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

IMG_4746.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

IMG_4747.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

A little opsie on the opposite side...oh well I can deal with that, 3D prints are brittle.

IMG_4749.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

The inside is nicely detailed...neat.

IMG_4751.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

IMG_4752.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

The nosecone....

IMG_4753.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

IMG_4754.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

IMG_4755.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

It fits rather snuggly in the forward fuselage section even without treatment it just popped into place...

IMG_4756.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

The darn thing is huuuuge, I get a bit agoraphobic as a 1/48 scale builder :P ...the feel is enormous but it´s just a few centimeters bigger than a Flanker in 1/48.

IMG_4757.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Edited by Aigore
  • Like 12

The canopy is cast in clear resin, it looks nice but will need a polish to be really nice..but still not bad at all!

IMG_4758.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

So many parts! All cast resin and 3D-printed.I like how the 3D-printed stuff are packed in cast resin cakes that you just lift out from the packaging foam.

IMG_4759.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

A quick look at the 3D stuff...they look really really nice! incredible details over all.

IMG_4760.JPG?width=960&height=720&fit=bo

IMG_4761.JPG?width=960&height=720&fit=bo

The rudders, nicely cast 

IMG_4762.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

As are the missile bodies and weapon pylons and the launchers.

IMG_4763.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

The wheel wells are equisite! as are the fanfront...too bad it´ll hardly show in the finished model.

IMG_4764.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

IMG_4765.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

IMG_4766.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Edited by Aigore
  • Like 14

Aww maaaan! The first big dodo! The right main wing wingtip has not cured, it had bonded to the packaging material. The outmost tip is missing and the rest of the tip is soft and sticky...unworkable!
Let´s see how the Jetmads customer service deal with this.!

IMG_4767.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

IMG_4767.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

IMG_4772.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

The details and riveting on the canards are reall nice.

IMG_4771.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

More closeups on the printed stuff and the missiles and pylons.

IMG_4773.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

IMG_4774.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

I´m somewhat disapointed that the pitot tubes are printed...they WILL break, had much rather seen turned brass pitot tubes.....Master, I´m looking at you!

IMG_4775.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Hmmmm...the details on the instrument panel doesn´t come through as crisp in  the details as many other parts.Actually poor details and soft ones at that....Quinta Studios, I´m looking at you again!

IMG_4777.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

The struts looks amazing however! wonderful, crisp details.

IMG_4778.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

IMG_4779.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

The slimelights looks a wee bit overdone, may have to sand them down a bit.

IMG_4780.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

IMG_4781.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

The tail fin looks fine.

IMG_4782.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

And finally...I have procured some paint masks from Maestro that will make my life simpler when it´s time to paint :D

IMG_4784.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Final conclusion is that this is a hell of a model!!! I can´t wait to sink my teeth into it...but I do have to wait sice I have a comission job
to finish first.
These little babies in 1/48. 

IMG_4785.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Cheers and keep an eye out for when the build starts!

Edited by Aigore
  • Like 26

10 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

What an amazing kit! 

I wish there were RAF Jags and Buccs in this scale! 😂

You'll never know what will peak the interest of Jetmads... for now you'll have to put up with a Viggen, at least in this thread 😂

• Like 2

A little update,

I contacted Jetmads about the wing and it was no problems, they will send a new wing next week :)

Nice and polite customer service that responded quickly and with no fuss. An example for customer services at any brand!

• Like 4

Love a Viggen (who doesn’t) and love the look of this kit.  Surprised about the comparatively soft detail on the instrument panel though - was that a poor print?  I’ve also never seen a clear resin cast canopy before so I’ll be interested to see how well that polishes.

Thanks for starting this thread Aigore.  Fascinating :D

Steve

5 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Wow, a 32 scale Viggen! That does look impressive .

How long would I need to save my £2.50 a week pocket money for to afford one do you think?

Watching closely.

John

Oh...not that bad actually. As it was preordered I got a little off the price tag and it cost me about $190. So not that bad at all....about the same as a Tamyia in 1/32 :P

2 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Love a Viggen (who doesn’t) and love the look of this kit.  Surprised about the comparatively soft detail on the instrument panel though - was that a poor print?  I’ve also never seen a clear resin cast canopy before so I’ll be interested to see how well that polishes.

Thanks for starting this thread Aigore.  Fascinating :D

Steve

It is a resin first for me so everything will be breaking new grounds :P I think the canopy will be nice, with a dip in future I'm sure it will behave in the end.

The IP was a bit of a letdown when you compare it to other stuff....but I will prevail somehow. I'm a bit more worried about the landing legs.....and VERY worried about the pitot tubes 😕 they do need replacement....heck a sewing needle would do the trick.

• Like 1

I came back for a second look and I've got to say the detail is outstanding resin has great detail but 3D printing takes it to the next level I imagine we'll see a lot more of it in the industry in the coming years. The packaging is first class as well I'd probably keep the box even after it's done. I am surprised by the size I assumed the Viggen would have been way bigger as my 32nd F-16 is slightly bigger than a 48th Flanker.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Deano353 said:

I came back for a second look and I've got to say the detail is outstanding resin has great detail but 3D printing takes it to the next level I imagine we'll see a lot more of it in the industry in the coming years. The packaging is first class as well I'd probably keep the box even after it's done. I am surprised by the size I assumed the Viggen would have been way bigger as my 32nd F-16 is slightly bigger than a 48th Flanker.

Viggen only looks big, it was only 16m long...so just slightly longer than a F-16 and slightly shorter than a legacy Hornet.

11 hours ago, Harrier/ViperFan said:

This does look amazing, i would be concerned about the landing gear, all that weight on resin struts, that's not going to end well. So i will be following to see how you will deal with that.

Me too :P The most daring idea I've had is to drill the length of the strut and insert a pianowire.

• Like 1

I have been in contact with Master and they seemed interested in scaling up their 1/48 scale set to 1/32. They didn't make any promises ( duh) but it would be possible for a release early next year. :D

let's hope for the best!

• Like 3

Further I contacted two Swedish decal manufacturers today with hopes that they could supply Airwing emblems and unique squadron markings for the Jetmads kit.

Hoping for the best!

• Like 4

I am going to watch this build with interest and awe. Having seen the pics of the "sprues" and the resin, I accept that this kit is totally beyond me and am at peace with that.

Looking forward to seeing your progress, this is going to be an incredible build.

• Like 1