Argentinian A-4C Skyhawk, Trumpeter 1/32 kit

Hi all,

This is a model of an Argentinian air force A-4C Skyhawk from the Falklands war.

The kit is the Trumpeter 1/32 A-4E and converted back to C standard with the AMS resin set, all of which fitted perfectly using very little filler and sanding. Also added to the model are the Aires cockpit (again a perfect fit), Aires wheel wells (perfect front well, but the wings……), Reskit wheels, Eduard brass slats and flaps detail set, Eduard brass vortex generators (well worth the effort), plus brass gun barrels and a steel ladder from a couple of companies I can’t remember! The kit itself has a few errors, all of which i have corrected or adjusted.

I also added some extra wiring to the u/c legs, mixed my own Gunze and MRP paints to match photos, with the blue on yellow weathering carried out using micromesh polishing pads.

I must say that this was the first Trumpeter kit i have made and the general fit of the plastic parts was superb.

Decals are from Aztec and performed well.

Hope you like it

Andy

A-4C_Skyhawk_Argentina_(1).jpg

A-4C_Skyhawk_Argentina_(10).jpg

A-4C_Skyhawk_Argentina_(11).jpg

A-4C_Skyhawk_Argentina_(12).jpg

A-4C_Skyhawk_Argentina_(13).jpg

A-4C_Skyhawk_Argentina_(14).jpg

A-4C_Skyhawk_Argentina_(2).jpg

A-4C_Skyhawk_Argentina_(3).jpg

A-4C_Skyhawk_Argentina_(4).jpg

A-4C_Skyhawk_Argentina_(5).jpg

A-4C_Skyhawk_Argentina_(6).jpg

A-4C_Skyhawk_Argentina_(7).jpg

A-4C_Skyhawk_Argentina_(8).jpg

A-4C_Skyhawk_Argentina_(9).jpg

• Like 61
  • Thanks 2

Hi Andy,

An unusual subject very well done! I especially like the weathering and the used  look on the ladder. Lots of details, that is the advantage and also the challenge of the big scale. 

I really like your model!

cheers 

Norbert

Edited by NorbertBu

thanks Norbert.

You're right about the detail being a plus and minus, but in this case it was easy enough to paint. The details of the Aires parts have to be seen to be believed. They are worth every penny

Andy

Thanks very much everyone.

I admit that the detail in the Aires parts was great fun to paint and highlight with washes. It almost made me want to change to 1/32 permanently!

Andy

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. 

Basket- I'm not sure what you mean as there are two landing lights, one on each of the main U/C doors.

Andy

3 minutes ago, Red Dot said:

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. 

Basket- I'm not sure what you mean as there are two landing lights, one on each of the main U/C doors.

Andy

Hi Andy , Skyhawks are equipped with only one landing light , on the right door . I don't believe argentinian Skyhawks were exception .

I didn't notice the 2 ones on your model which is , again , brilliantely executed .

1 hour ago, basket said:

Hi Andy , Skyhawks are equipped with only one landing light , on the right door . I don't believe argentinian Skyhawks were exception .

I didn't notice the 2 ones on your model which is , again , brilliantely executed .

That's strange as the kit comes with two, and none of the reviews picked up the error.

I will change the model. Thanks for telling me

Andy

1 hour ago, Red Dot said:

That's strange as the kit comes with two, and none of the reviews picked up the error.

I will change the model. Thanks for telling me

Andy

And it now only has one light 😀

13 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

A great model.

In fact, what really caught my eyes (like NorbertBu's…) was the very convincing ladder!

Excellent modelling.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks

Andy

What a fantastic result, congratulations! It's amazing what a real difference all the aftermarket bits make.

13 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Eduard brass vortex generators (well worth the effort)

That's a level of lunacy commitment I simply cannot comprehend!!

7 hours ago, TheOxley said:

Andy,

I was hooked the once I saw the nose landing gear…👍🏻

All of the amazing detail was cast into the resin parts, apart from the black wiring. The rest was just painting and weathering.

5 hours ago, k5054nz said:

What a fantastic result, congratulations! It's amazing what a real difference all the aftermarket bits make.

That's a level of lunacy commitment I simply cannot comprehend!!

Honestly, they were easy. All you need is a well lit magnifying glass, and some small tweezers. I bent them all first and then used PVA glue to stick them to the wing. You get two placement stencils in the set. I taped them to the wing and sprayed painted through them to mark the vortex generator positions. Then it was just a case of placing them on the paint spots.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, kapam said:

Incredible!  Excellent detail & finishing!  :clap2::clap2:

A worthy tribute to the Argentinian aircrews of the Falklands conflict.

Indeed. A tribute to all who took part.

Andy 

Thanks again for all the nice comments. I glad you like it

Andy