The new Airfix Mosquito B.XVI

17 hours ago, T-21 said:

The Bomb bay is for a TT.35 if Airfix had done their homework right this kit could have been exceptional.

The doors and rear fairing are TT.35, the internal bomb arrangement is standard bomber 4 x 500lb. 

Guides, steadies and winches for a 4,000lb load are missing as is any form of munition.

The kit had the potential of being very good for Airfix, but there are several detail errors, omissions, simplifications and compromises that have been made that are a bit of a let down for a Mosquito fanatic.

The basic outline appears excellent an the fit so far has been very good, the OOB builds I've seen look very good and most modellers will be happy with the result I'm sure, however mine will need a fair bit of detail work doing before completion. 

Just to be fair I've also done plenty of detail work on my Tamiya Mosquitos 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave, does that also explain the second canopy with the bulge in the roof ? I have pics of the Mosquito at Cosford, and I have a feeling then that the model was developed from this plane.

Hope you will do a WIP on your kit so I can see what might need changing - I bought three of these kits, so would like to try and get one of them spot on rather than OOB

21 minutes ago, Simon Nonymous said:

Dave, does that also explain the second canopy with the bulge in the roof ? I have pics of the Mosquito at Cosford, and I have a feeling then that the model was developed from this plane.

Hope you will do a WIP on your kit so I can see what might need changing - I bought three of these kits, so would like to try and get one of them spot on rather than OOB

You are correct, the lidar scan was of the Cosford TT35 and the kit designer visited and took a load of detail shots of it as well.

The second canopy is I think an option for future kits, as is the stbd wing leading edge landing light and flashed over PR camera ports in the fuselage.

I doubt I'll do a full blown WIP any time soon, though if progress is made I may post some photo's of fixes I'm planning.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

You are correct, the lidar scan was of the Cosford TT35 and the kit designer visited and took a load of detail shots of it as well.

The second canopy is I think an option for future kits, as is the stbd wing leading edge landing light and flashed over PR camera ports in the fuselage.

I doubt I'll do a full blown WIP any time soon, though if progress is made I may post some photo's of fixes I'm planning.

It would be really helpful for those of us eyeing up the kit to at least have a comprehensive list of the errors and fixes so we are well prepared when, not if, we buy it. Pretty please 🙏

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Properjob56 said:

It would be really helpful for those of us eyeing up the kit to at least have a comprehensive list of the errors and fixes so we are well prepared when, not if, we buy it. Pretty please 🙏

I agree - even if I think Im not the man to do it justice. I'll hopefully post up the finsihed kit today, and will try to do a list of what I think needs fixing, and if anyone else chimes in with stuff, more than happy to update my OP to keep it current. I'll post here once the finished plane is on show, warts n all.

Dave Swindell - thank you for your information and thoughts. I feel a bit disappointed to be honest:-(

• Like 1