Which colour for the era of the Type 42s and Type 22s?

RobertF

Hello all,

I was wondering which paint to use on RN ships from the 1980s and 1990s, like the Type 42 destroyers and Type 22 frigates. IIRC this "navy grey" had some sort of greenish hue over it..

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Robert 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi

When i was in devonport dockyard, as the falklands was kicking off, the dockyard painters were mixing batches and colours of paint to make south atlantic grey as there was none available in NSN stocks

as you went past the frigates moored on the dockside on the river tamar,  i don't think i saw one that was the same colour south atlantic grey

cheers 

jerry 

As most of the Task Force ships had sailed by then, some direct from Gib, the Med, West Indies, Persian Gulf, Mombasa (via Gib) or already in the Atlantic, then any painting done at Devonport and Portsmouth would be for ships of the second and subsequent groups, or battle casualty replacements.  The first group would have still been in standard RN grey during the conflict.

cheers,

Mike

Hi

Another thing i just recalled was the waterlines were painted out on some of the ships

can"t remember about atlantic conveyor

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry
typo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Exeter had an experimental antifouling paint at the time, which was only available in blue - so yes, her boot topping was blue.  When Ark Royal emerged 4 years later, she also had an odd coloured boot topping; dark grey in her case.  Neither Exeter nor Ark stayed non-standard for long

• Like 1