10 Years On – Leuchars Airshow 2011 – Part 1 of 3

Des

10 Years ago today Friday 9th. September 2011, Arrivals and Practice Displays for the RAF Leuchars Airshow 2011.

Until they ended in 2013 I attended the airshow at Leuchars on their Enthusiasts Package which gave access on the Friday for Arrivals and Practices and then for the show itself on the Saturday.     Accommodation originally was in the old Lightning and Phantom-era Q Sheds at the western end of the runway in line with the runway threshold and on the edge of the Visiting Aircraft Servicing Section (VASS) Ramp which was where most of the display aircraft operated from.     In the final years after the Q Sheds were declared unsafe and then demolished marquees were provided on the same site instead.

Friday started dull , grey and wet in the morning but improved into the afternoon although the wider weather pattern elsewhere created some problems and led to a few cancellations.    In addition RAF involvement in what was by then the last ‘Battle of Britain’ event held on a frontline airfield could have been better although in the later years of the display it did tend to be feast or famine.

Ten years on here are a selection of images of arrivals and practices from , Friday 9th. September 2011 and barring unforeseen circumstance some from the display day itself will follow tomorrow.    

p?i=afbe837ce067c921967c0cb7bef83760

01        Lakenheath based F-15 were regular USAF visitors for the static display at Leuchars with LN/98-0131 being one of a pair of multiple Baggage Pod carrying F-15E and among the first of Friday’s arrivals to arrive with the weather at its worst.

p?i=3d0b05af7faccd7ee83933ebbc20f581

02        With poor weather over the Atlantic preventing most of the usual CONUS-based USAF multi-engined participation C-130J-30 Hercules RS/88605 from the 86th. Airlift Wing at Ramstein in Germany arrived for the static display on Friday afternoon.

p?i=fd7cff550943333f227109fef8b10a0f

03        Support for the Belgian and Dutch F-16 Display teams was usually provided by the early Friday arrival of an Embraer ERJ-146 from 21 Squadron of the Belgian Air Component with CE-04 here taxying to depart after unloading the usual large amount of beer and smaller amount of very large coloured team hats although departures were rather more restrained than on the few occasions this support was provided by a Belgian C-130.

p?i=6c3f73788db111dc1351e3da53f7dd51

04        Belgian Air Component F-16AM Display Team arriving on Friday morning with specially marked FA-110 in the lead followed by the unmarked display spare FA-95 carrying the specially marked baggage pod of the display aircraft, both carry ‘Smokewinders’ on their wingtip AAM rails.

p?i=590aac844db064bb6d8d6c94346796d2

05        By then without the centreline baggage pod ‘Smokewinder’ equipped F-16AM FA-95 of the Belgian Air Component taxies out on Friday afternoon for its practice display , it seemed to be normal practice at that time at least for the display spare to be used for the practice slot.

p?i=001eaf89f686d2e28fa434d8b5167ad9

06        Specially marked F-16AM J-105 of the Royal Netherlands Air Force F-16 Demo Team arriving on Friday with ‘Smokewinders’ on the wingtip AAM rails , as its display involved the use of flares the aircraft operated from within the former No.111 Squadron HAS Site on the south side of the airfield for safety reasons.

p?i=fa1761096cb06e7e0fc0368a5d976236

07        About as close as F-16AM J-872 from 323 Squadron Royal Netherlands Air Force would get to the public over the weekend as it arrived as display spare on Friday carrying wingtip ‘Smokewinders’ and a centreline baggage pod in a display scheme from around ten years previously , as the display involved the use of flares the aircraft spent the weekend in the former No.111 Squadron HAS Site on the south side of the airfield.

p?i=afaf1f61bebcdb4d81741d3d51cec8df

08        A rather distant shot but not quite unobstructed view of  EADS CASA C-295M , 0455 , from 242 Tactical Squadron of the Czech Air Force taken through the drizzle on Friday morning before it was built into the static display.

p?i=f4dbbd0f81d03a9a91ca689a4faf1d8d

09        Saab JAS-39C , 9243 , from 211 Squadron of the Czech Air Force complete with large droptanks arrives in the rain on Friday morning.

p?i=e35cab1812a9bcd6ed499d696968b843

10        Saab JAS-39C , 9243 , from 211 Squadron of the Czech Air Force minus droptanks taxies out during the dryer afternoon with a rising cloudbase to do its practice display on Friday afternoon.

p?i=2dffc7646858fb2d06a3dec5c61406b1

11        What a paint job !!!  Well weathered and much re-touched Transall C.160R , 61-MF/RII from ET01-61 arriving as the weather started to clear around lunchtime on Friday as support aircraft for the Patrouille de France.

p?i=1a368c7feb9d659068ee85a51bd444fb

12        Ground support equipment including the team Renault van for the Patrouille de France being unloaded from Transall C.160R , 61-MF/RII  of ET01-6.

p?i=d037ef592f48dc6215dd36719ecd23ad

13        Licence built in Switzerland and operated by the Swiss Air Force as U-1230 De Havilland Vampire T.55 (export version of the T.11) is marked here as PX-M as operated by 336 Skvadron of the Royal Norwegian Air Force during the 1950s and is now flown by the Norwegian Air Force Historical Squadron although carrying the Norwegian civil registration (LN-DHZ) and seen taxying out for its practice display on Friday afternoon.

p?i=82af9fb07d9e657383f8ba713cb44b24

14        Originally operated by the Swiss Air Force as J-1196 De Havilland Vampire FB.52 (export version of the FB.6) it is marked here as PX-K as operated by 336 Skvadron of the Royal Norwegian Air Force during the 1950s and is now flown by the Norwegian Air Force Historical Squadron although carrying the Swedish civil registration SE-DXS taxying out for the teams practice display on Friday afternoon.

p?i=36747082dbf86408f6528bcf5dfe8f6d

15        View of the Norwegian Air Force Historical Squadron single and twin-seat De Havilland Vampire Display Team in close formation highlights some of the more obvious structural similarities and differences between the different configurations.

p?i=ef8868b3024bfe78c7beaa310cf8c1f2

16        Last time I saw one of these it was overall gloss dark grey with high-viz full-colour national markings , Dassault DA20 ECM , 053 'Munin' , from 717 Skvadron of the Royal Norwegian Air Force taxies in for the static display on a very grey Friday morning but according to the crew it is actually a very dark green (in the right light) although experience has taught them with US personnel just to eventually agree with them that it is black , the name ‘Munin’ refers to a far-seeing crow belonging to the Norse God Odin as shown by the tail insignia.

p?i=7238309ecc8980d00f24db999cf09231

17        Seen on the VASS Ramp on Friday morning for post-flight refuelling and servicing after arriving at Leuchars Tucano T.1 ZF489/489 was the Tucano Solo Display Team spare although like the primary display aircraft ZF407/407 it carried standard markings with no embellishments or unit markings other than the 1 FTS badges on their fins.

p?i=84ca74306c1f6d2935cc8c68bc705940

18        Prior to the Tucano 1FTS operated various variants of the Jet Provost including Jet Provost T.3A XM479 which as G-BEVZ was then bought and operated by a consortium of private pilots as the Newcastle Jet Provost Company and is seen arriving on Friday afternoon showing a rather more cramped cockpit than its successor.

p?i=ee744ddef6ad9986cc0ee8169a341f38

19        2011 Hawk Solo Display Team seen after their Friday arrival at Leuchars with the display Hawk T.1 XX245 in its special colour scheme in the foreground and the display spare Hawk T.1A XX220/220 in standard 208 Squadron markings in the background , both aircraft are being flown clean-winged without any of the pylons or stores that might be carried in their day-to-day training role.

p?i=16d9c08f90d935315ae193858f372cfe

20        Seen arriving at Leuchars on Friday as display spare for the 2011 Hawk Solo Display Team is Hawk T.1A XX220/220 in standard 208 Squadron markings which were perhaps the most striking of those carried by non-display Hawks in the overall black scheme , neither the stores nor pylons that might be use in day-to-day training are carried.

p?i=99c41188944e9689a98087ed281639ae

21        Apparently a late addition to the static display after initial listings showed no RAF Tornado were due to appear was Tornado GR.4 , ZA547 , from XV Squadron based at RAF Lossiemouth and carrying the ‘One Million Flying Hours’ markings applied to mark that fleet-wide milestone , the aircraft carries the usual mix of underwing tanks and pods with CBLS mounted on the carriers below the fuselage.

p?i=96b0de04b2d951f450327957f6c7f2d9

22        The dark green schemed Puma HC.2 are not especially photogenic on the best of days far less Friday morning’s dank conditions but XW237 operated by 33/230 Squadrons at Benson comes into land with the crewman working between both open cabin doors as a check for the pilots as it approaches touchdown, the large yellow item in the rear cabin is a rescue pack/dingy carried by most Support Helicopter Force helicopters on overwater or longer cross-country flights.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Stephen said:

Great pics, thanks for sharing them. My memories of the Leuchars airshow are that it always depended on the weather . If it was sunny it was amazing otherwise it could be miserable but usually enjoyable.

Yes , you could come away from Leuchars realising that winter was well on its way especially if the weather was coming in from the east over the North Sea and more so in earlier years when it tended to be held sometime in the second half of September.

Of course the other side of the coin was that if it was too sunny it was awful for photography.     Looking at my images from 2012 it was sunny and bright but with high level cloud which was ideal but the final show in 2013 had brilliant sunshine and blue skies and was more of a challenge.     But still better than being rained off early afternoon as in 1991 or enclosed in haar for much of the day in 92 when with nothing able to display they sent a couple of F.3 up in the morning to do PAR approaches and could hear them on the radio calling off at the decision height because the runway could not be seen.

Oh happy days. I have some very fond memories of B of B day at Leuchars right through from attending with my dad in childhood*, with the ATC, as a serving Raffie based there to visiting as a "when I.." for the last Shows.

*Our first attempt to attend the show was (I think) 1969 when Concorde was due to make an appearance and that caused incredible amounts of traffic and we were stuck on the Tay Bridge in a tail back all the way from Leuchars to Dundee! We didn't see Concorde or make it past the Fife end of the Bridge on that occasion.

Duncan B

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Oh happy days. I have some very fond memories of B of B day at Leuchars

Oh yes, one of the best days of the year even when I was on duty in the Signalbox as we got the most fantastic view of the flying displays from there.

As to Concorde I saw her coming in once when she was bringing in the American contingent for The  Open at St. Andrews in 1984.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Just now, AliGauld said:

Oh yes, one of the best days of the year even when I was on duty in the Signalbox as we got the most fantastic view of the flying displays from there.

As to Concorde I saw her coming in once when she was bringing in the American contingent for The  Open at St. Andrews in 1984.

Cheers,

Alistair

Yes, you would have got a great view from there.

I was still based there for the 1984 Show, I was assigned to crash and smash that year and saw the show from the unique perspective of lying in the grass in the sunshine just off the main runway. I didn't get finished until 9pm and went straight to "The Commie" with my mates and got so blotto that I was too "ill" to attend the mandatory FOD plod of the airfield on the Sunday morning!! (maybe that wasn't the happiest of days right enough!).

Duncan B

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Yes, you would have got a great view from there.

I was still based there for the 1984 Show, I was assigned to crash and smash that year and saw the show from the unique perspective of lying in the grass in the sunshine just off the main runway. I didn't get finished until 9pm and went straight to "The Commie" with my mates and got so blotto that I was too "ill" to attend the mandatory FOD plod of the airfield on the Sunday morning!! (maybe that wasn't the happiest of days right enough!).

Duncan B

Aah The Commie, now that brings back some memories and holes in my memory as well.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1