Adrian's little Sunderland - 1/152 Lincoln Kit

Adrian Hills

Been a long and tiring day. Managed to find Signiagraph code letters in the right colour, font style (especially the M) and size. The 'just' stuck down being 25 year old rub down transfers. Tail flash is Signiagraph and roundel decals from Xtradecal. I'm pooped so will 'finish' the beastie for the club night tomorrow. After that will see if it actually had 'stickleback' style ASV radar which have only just picked up on from the text of "Short Sunderland in World War II" by Andrew Hendrie

IMG_5452[9406]

IMG_5453[9407]

Definitely needs to look a bit 'seaworn' with a tide mark on hull. Can't find the float struts so might nick them from my Kader kit.

• Like 8

This is the story so far. Will lose the spinners and maybe use clear strips to emulate propellers. My clear windows aren't. Humbrol clear is far too stringy to use as it can't be fitted without depositing strings on the fuselage. As an alternative will cut windows out and then use ordinary white glue. I think my stuff designed for modelling has finally gone off after 20 years !

My references says that this 201 Sqn aircraft had radar. It doesn't say which type but as other A/C of the squadron had ASV MkIII I'm thinking this one might have also been equipped with the 'stickleback' antennas. Anyone able to add information ? to be honest I am itching to stretch some sprue and knock some up.

IMG_5494[9422]

IMG_5493[9421]

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

Anyone able to add information ? to be honest I am itching to stretch some sprue and knock some up.

Hi Adrian

Looking really nice :thumbsup:

Looking in my copy of Ocean Sentinel (the Short Sunderland), there is a photo of

a 201 Squadron Mk II Sunderland (W3981 - ZM-W) circa October 1941, wearing

the Mk II ASV aerials.

Given that the Bismark sinking was Late may 1941, I'd say your Sunderland most

likely would have had the Mk II Aerials

Hope that helps?

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

Will look at what mk II aerials looked like

Hi Adrian,

Mk II ASV looks like this (Photo from Wikipedia)

Royal_Air_Force-_Italy,_the_Balkans_and_

The Aerials had quite an interesting way of working, each aerial was driven by a small

electric motor, which turned this way or that upon receipt of a signal.

(that little tidbit comes from a WWII Sunderland pilot I knew :))

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, LDSModeller said:

there is a photo of

a 201 Squadron Mk II Sunderland (W3981 - ZM-W) circa October 1941, wearing

the Mk II ASV aerials.

Sunderland_W3981.jpg

Sunderland W3981 with ASV Mk.II radar

27 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

Will look at what mk II aerials looked like

Sunderland_Mk_II_T9083_oct41_2.jpg

from 

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/uk/raf/sunderland/

11 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

to be honest I am itching to stretch some sprue and knock some up.

look like you shall go to the ball Cinderella 🤣

• Like 1

Excellent, thanks chaps. It looks like the arrays I put on my first Sunderland kit.

Interesting that there were also Yagis on the wings. Having studied WWII radar a bit I need to get my head back around it. 

Will be good when the Defence Electronics History Society can meet again. Lots of useful information from people willing to explain things to a numpty like me 😊

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/09/2021 at 22:55, Grandboof said:

Nice to see one of these emerge . Lincoln had from memory a reasonable range although basic . I thought they were originally made in NZ but could be wrong due to fuzzy memory 

Martin H

Hi Martin. Lincoln had a large range in the 1960's. Certainly a large part of the range was made in NZ, but I don't think the moulds were made here. A lot of old Frog were made here during the same period.

Nick

• Like 2