Adrian's little Sunderland - 1/152 Lincoln Kit

Adrian Hills

As a quick aside I have decided to build a Lincoln International 1/152 scale Short Sunderland kit for my club's theme competition "Sink the Bismarck". I thought everyone and their brother would do a Fairey Swordfish so have chosen one of the aircraft that spotted it.

I like little odd scale kits so picked the Lincoln kit out of my stash.

IMG_5345

IMG_5344

I started by thinning the inside of the fuselage by the windows and cockpit and rubbing the dots off. Like the Airfix kit which it has many similarities too it is covered with 'rivets' - can't stand them

IMG_5353

• Like 9

As I have to have this on the table by September 16th have prioritised this over all other builds. 

The aircraft I have chosen is a Mk I and has a sharply stepped hull and twin dorsal gun hatches rather than the hole for the turret. I have done this conversion before when I did DA-G from the Airfix kit (also with full interior, cut out engine maintenance flaps, exposed engines and waterlined. Unfortunately model now lost !). As a guide I used my unmade 1/72 Italeri kit which ironically is of that actual aircraft.

IMG_5354

I am a 'looks about right' kind of chap rather than measuring things to the millimetre.

IMG_5416[9349]

Will need to do aerodynamic coverings for the ventral gun positions. Structure inside was from parts box. The fuselage is actually smooth !

IMG_5419[9352]

Here you see the modification to the hull step. Will work out what to do with the hole in the hull as it will be in flying configuration. 

IMG_5418[9351]

Here you see a basic back wall to fill the enormous hole looking into the fuselage. I have rounded the nose by the front turret assembly - obviously it still needs some refining.

• Like 8

Welcome to the Group Build Adrian, with another of your wonderfully eclectic builds :welcome:

I built the 1/96 Lincoln Canberra a couple of years ago, but your Sunderland looks significantly more detailed.

It's also great to see that the box art accurately reflects the 'googly eye' decals!

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great choice! Never seen one of those kits in the flesh, it’s apparently very “inspired” by the larger Airfix one? I’m enjoying your no-nonsense conversion process and looking forward to seeing DA-G emerge!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

Think I'll make a simple diorama.

I think at the time of the Bismark hunt, the disruptive stripes on the hull had been removed.   Makes for an easier paint job.

I asked as I got the Airfix 'Sink The Bismark' 1/1200 set

On 21/07/2021 at 08:08, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi Troy,

Let's start with the easy bit - Bismarck and Prinz Eugen.

Hull - Dunkelgrau 51 - RAL 7000

Upperworks - Hellgrau 50 -RAL 7001

Steel decks - Dunkelgrau 2 - RAL 7024

I'll ignore all the other colours on Bismarck for now as the camouflage was painted out and you may want either grey or yellow turret tops.

I have a RAL fan deck if you want to check the RAL colours  :rolleyes:  ;) 

• Like 1

Nice to see one of these emerge . Lincoln had from memory a reasonable range although basic . I thought they were originally made in NZ but could be wrong due to fuzzy memory 

Martin H

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

large bathroom tile

I’ve had some success with crumpled aluminium foil over a flat board. Easy to cut out a hole for the ship and push the edges back in to look like a bow wave. Example here, the linked WIP thread gives a tad more detail.

Regards,

Adrian (a different one :) )

• Like 2

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the advice. Just paid £1.17 for a tile. The boat is waterlined and I use tiling grout for a bow wave and it helps to keep it in place. I call it my 'quick and dirty' technique.

Cheers

The other Adrian 🙂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

a tile

Sounds fine to me. I don’t know how high waves on a calmish sea would be in 1/1200 anyway, 1/4 mm would be a foot tall so that’s pretty much a thick acrylic stipple on a flat tile!

Regards,

the other other Adrian :)

(why do people called “Mike” never have this problem??)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Galloping on a bit. Hosed it down with Sky on the undersides. Made the dorsal gun hatch covers.

IMG_5440[9383]

Here they are fitted

IMG_5441[9384]

Have done masking and will paint the EDSG in morning when it is light. In evening can mask and paint the DSG

IMG_5442[9385]

• Like 3

The little Bismarck kit with a bit of paint. Deck plank on and top of turrets yellow. Will slap some paint around tomorrow and try to make it look interesting. Just debating how to do the splinter camouflage on the Arados 😉

IMG_5443[9389]

Will also see what decals available for the deck swastikas

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

Galloping on a bit. Hosed it down with Sky on the undersides. Made the dorsal gun hatch covers.

Hi Adrian,

Looking good :)

I have the same kit, I began building it as an RNZAF MR5 in another GB

RNZAF Sunderland MR5 - Kader Kit

I didn't quite finish as you see from my build link, trying to convert the

Mk III Nacelles to a Mk V was a bit of a sticking point, but it was the

oversized wing floats that caused me to put it on hold.

It will get done eventually as one of the Sunderland's on "Rotten Row" at Hobsonville,

I used to see when we drove on base.

Look for ward to seeing the rest of your build

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Alan, have looked at your build thread and found it absolutely fascinating. You have put a lot of work into this lovely little kit. Since you started 3D printers are around and perhaps you could use one to produce the enlarged floats. Alternatively the age old technique of balsa covered in talc and resin. Perhaps you are inspired to pick it up again 😊

Many moons ago at my model club in Canada we heard that Kermit’s Sunderland was in Toronto harbour and going to leave in the morning. We drove up and took a water taxi so we could go around it and take photos. Kermit waved to us from the cockpit. Then we ‘followed it’ from a distance as it took off. Have a good photo of it unsticking in front of the CN tower.

and as I mentioned earlier in the thread I even had a cat called “Short Sunderland mkIII” 😊

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

Many moons ago at my model club in Canada we heard that Kermit’s Sunderland was in Toronto harbour and going to leave in the morning. We drove up and took a water taxi so we could go around it and take photos. Kermit waved to us from the cockpit. Then we ‘followed it’ from a distance as it took off. Have a good photo of it unsticking in front of the CN tower.

Hi Adrian

Kermit Weeks "Sunderland" (or Sundringham) is actually the Sister (NZ4108)  to our

Sunderland NZ4115 here in Auckland

It was sold circa 1963 by the RNZAF/ NZ Govt to Australia, where it was converted

to Sandringham status and as you know eventually ended up with Kermit Weeks.

Just recently, I had the proud Dad moment where I got to take my Daughter who had just

turned 16 a couple of days before, to MOTAT here in Auckland (we go every year) to see

her Grandpa's plane (NZ4115).

She has never met my dad as he passed away before she was born.

She's always known about her Grandpa, and the Sunderland is an important connection to him.

This particular day we did our yearly pilgrimage, and because "we" were descendants of a Serviceman

who had worked on her, the MOTAT Volunteers  organized a guided tour of inside NZ4115.

She got to sit in the Pilots seat like where my dad had sat me many years before.

I must say she is the only 16 year old young woman who knows how to synchronize a Sunderland's

propellers whilst in flight (Tour guide is a former RNZAF Sunderland Navigator) amongst other things :D

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

Had a complaint from Head Office saying 'don't like that smell from whatever you are doing in there ?!'  Have now moved all spraying operations to the workshop, where I intended putting it eventually. At least galvanised into action.

The Gunze Dark Sea Grey flowed nicely after I put more Isopropyl in it.

IMG_5445[9391]

• Like 4

Did some masking using the paint instructions from the 1/72 Revell kit as likely to look like 201sqn's ZM-Z that I am trying to depict. I tried spraying Xtracylic Dark Slate Grey but it started getting weird on me. Instead I used a Gunze paint I knocked up yonks ago, I think for the Heyford used in the Daventry radar demonstration. I had labelled the paint 'Dark Slate Grey/NIVO and it looks about right.

IMG_5446[9397]

IMG_5450[9399]

IMG_5448[9398]

Have just taken masking tape off so will leave it a bit before toughing up and decalling

• Like 7