Jump to content

When the hurly burly's done, When the battle's lost and won. - ICM 1/72 Polikarpov U-2/Po-2VS


Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Well at least they've fixed the orientation. That's good - I like when a company actually corrects kit problems, even if it's mid-production. We all make mistakes, but when you find out, fix it! I just looked at eBay, and it was Quickboost who made a replacement propeller. It's not cheap - the cheapest one I've seen is 7.62USD. Maybe you can beef up the one you have, as long it's the correct orientation.

 

Regards,

 

Jason

It's only just over £3.00 here so I got a reskit set of wheels as well to make it worthwhile.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's a good price; as I recall (I can't find the kit right at the moment, amongst the hundreds I have laying about!), I bought the replacement propeller as mine was the wrong orientation.

 

Regards,

 

Jason

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not much to report. Plastic has been butchered, glued, primed and painted.

Pictured with a "Dandie" for a sense of scale.

 

1ZTq3Ce.jpg

 

2wGvzAY.jpg

 

R5ox8TG.jpg

 

ll7SbVY.jpg

 

I've had the Car in for it's Service and MOT today so hopefully I'll be able to do a bit more tomorrow.

 

Thanks for looking,

 

Cheers,

Alistair

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great progress already Alistair and thank you for the inclusion of the scale setting device. 

2 hours ago, AliGauld said:

I've had the Car in for it's Service and MOT today

 Not too onerous an experience I hope?

 

Craig. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Great progress already Alistair and thank you for the inclusion of the scale setting device. 

 Not too onerous an experience I hope?

 

Craig. 

Thanks Craig,

Not too onerous, no.

Just time consuming, mainly having to wait on buses from and to the garage but not too hard on the wallet either.

 

Cheers,

Alistair

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a small update.

I managed to lose one of the side pouches from the cockpit when I sneezed after I dry fitted it. It went flying into the ether and could not be found.

So I improvised with a bit of milliput and it's in an area where it'll probably never be seen/

The cockpit frame was give a light wash.

 

eNYUeUL.jpg

 

UoFQF7C.jpg

 

vVYLgFO.jpg

 

5FK9PdW.jpg

 

2eIDIYK.jpg

 

Then the fuselage was closed.

 

TsHRv7C.jpg

 

q8V4Cus.jpg

 

Thanks to the picture I spotted that misalignment in the front cockpit and got it straightened before the glue set.

 

Thanks for looking,

 

Cheers,

Alistair

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I take it the departure of the pouch is more of an indication of the titchyness of the pieces than the force of your sneezes? Nice cockpit detailing and nice catch on the mis-aligned cockpit edge. You do realise that if you didn’t build these things so quickly, you wouldn’t need so large a stash?

 

Craig. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I take it the departure of the pouch is more of an indication of the titchyness of the pieces than the force of your sneezes? Nice cockpit detailing and nice catch on the mis-aligned cockpit edge. You do realise that if you didn’t build these things so quickly, you wouldn’t need so large a stash?

 

Craig. 

The glue in the location point wasn't sufficient to hold the piece yet so sailing off it went.

I need to reduce the stash size though so I'm attempting to get there as quickly as possible. 😉

 

Cheers,

Alistair

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Mind if I hang around for this one? I've a yen to do similar sometime, especially after @AdrianMF's Po-2 antics mentioned above, a great wee aeroplane. I much enjoyed the one at Old Warden. :)

Steve.

Glad to have you aboard, Sir.

 

Cheers,

Alistair

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have done some seam work and some gluing on this.

 

894vNjm.jpg

 

FRVOJFm.jpg

 

And also some seriously small fiddly bits. Please don't breathe too hard at the moment.

 

4sZJ6Ja.jpg

 

kJXr3hu.jpg

 

Who wants to bet that I'll end up knocking something off.

One wee tip for anyone building this later. Be very very careful of the small flash of tail that's attached to the fuselage piece.

It is extremely fragile. Go on ask me how I know. :oops:

 

Not much of an update. Apologies.

 

Thanks for looking,

 

Cheers,

Alistair

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking good so far!

 

I assume the M*cb*th witches reference in the title indicates your intention to finish this as a 'Night Witch' bomber?

 

I was going to do something similar with mine, until I learned that these aircraft were used in a similar role by the North Koreans during the Korean War.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, clive_t said:

Looking good so far!

 

I assume the M*cb*th witches reference in the title indicates your intention to finish this as a 'Night Witch' bomber?

 

I was going to do something similar with mine, until I learned that these aircraft were used in a similar role by the North Koreans during the Korean War.

 

Thanks very much,

I do intend to do this as a Night Witches version.

I didn't know anything about the use in the Korean War though.

Thanks for that and now shoots off to find out about that.

 

Cheers,

Alistair

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, clive_t said:

were used in a similar role by the North Koreans during the Korean War.

 

8 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks for that and now shoots off to find out about that

Do tell!

 

Great progress, Alistair, this is looking very good! Oh, and I'm sure all those little bits will be fine :)

 

Cheers,

Mark

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Great progress, Alistair, this is looking very good! Oh, and I'm sure all those little bits will be fine :)

 

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I am fully aware of just how ham-fisted I am.

 

6 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Do tell!

 

I just had a quick look at Wikipedia and they were used. One was credited with downing a Lockheed starfire.

The attacks were nicknamed "Bedcheck Charlie" and I'm kind of wondering if this was the inspiration for the "5 O'Clock Charlie" episode of M*A*S*H.

 

Cheers,

Alistair

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Who wants to bet that I'll end up knocking something off.

Na you should be okay now you have sneezed a bit off for the carpet monster!!!

Looking good so far and quick too.

Great job Alistair. 

Chris

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

 

 

I just had a quick look at Wikipedia and they were used. One was credited with downing a Lockheed starfire.

 

 

Cheers,

Alistair

Well, it was more a one to one affair....

Given the radar and the speed of the starfire

The starfire jockey flew right in the Po-2....

Great subject Alistair !!

May I follow on ? Then as Mc Beth has been mentionned...

Sincerely.

CC

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oooh, I'm late - is there a place left somewhere? Sit on the stairs as well...

 

I got one of these "Kukuruzniks" in my stast as well, and think also about doing a night witch bomber. Maybe another scheme don't know yet.

Fun fact, the german word for corn is "Mais", but in Vienna and surrounding Eastern Austria "Kukuruz" is very often heard. I've learned just during the some research for this PO, this is most likely because Vienna was in the Russian zone after the war, and the natives adopted it. When I was a kid I thought "Kukuruz" is the proper german word for corn.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Na you should be okay now you have sneezed a bit off for the carpet monster!!!

Looking good so far and quick too.

Great job Alistair. 

Chris

Thanks Chris

I think you may be right. :blush:

 

Cheers,

Alistair

23 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Well, it was more a one to one affair....

Given the radar and the speed of the starfire

The starfire jockey flew right in the Po-2....

Great subject Alistair !!

May I follow on ? Then as Mc Beth has been mentionned...

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks for the info and welcome aboard.

 

Cheers,

Alistair

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Chief Cohiba said:

Oooh, I'm late - is there a place left somewhere? Sit on the stairs as well...

 

I got one of these "Kukuruzniks" in my stast as well, and think also about doing a night witch bomber. Maybe another scheme don't know yet.

Fun fact, the german word for corn is "Mais", but in Vienna and surrounding Eastern Austria "Kukuruz" is very often heard. I've learned just during the some research for this PO, this is most likely because Vienna was in the Russian zone after the war, and the natives adopted it. When I was a kid I thought "Kukuruz" is the proper german word for corn.

Welcome Sir,

I know that Vienna was as full of spies as Berlin at one time. I would imagine that the Soviets influenced a bit of the language.

 

Cheers,

Alistair

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Lewis95 said:

Looks like a tasty build. If you haven't yet heard the song Night Witches by Sabaton then I would highly recommend it. If you don't mind hard rock of course.

 

 

Thanks,

I have heard the Sabaton song but as my music tastes are firmly grounded in the seventies it may take a little while to grow on me.

I'll give them a hearing in the hope that it's a slow burn and I will appreciate it more.

This worked for me with an album I bought in 1977 and hated on first listen. I didn't give it a relisten until the early 2000's and now it's one of my favourites.

That album was "Animals".

I never really give up on music.

 

Cheers,

Alistair

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Welcome Sir,

I know that Vienna was as full of spies as Berlin at one time. I would imagine that the Soviets influenced a bit of the language.

 

Cheers,

Alistair

Well, it was, in the sixties to eighties it is said to be quite an active spot of informal information exchange, so to say.

 

I was more thinking to one to two decades earlier, when eastern Austria was occupied by the Soviets, though. I imagine a scene, when my grandma learned some of that, like holding a basket of cobs, and a russian soldier approaches her, pointing to it, uttering "Kukuruz", and my grandma passes one to him. So she learned, I guess, and when she asked little toddler me, if I want to have a corn on the cob, she would have use the term. So I learned, I guess... 😉

 

Btw, talking inspiration; did you read Romain Hugaults "The Grand Duke"? It''s about a pilot starting at the Night Witches and includes some great pictures of PO2s as well. I might adopt one of these heavy weathered single olive drab schemes on my build.

Your build is quite fast, I might add...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Chief Cohiba said:

Well, it was, in the sixties to eighties it is said to be quite an active spot of informal information exchange, so to say.

 

I was more thinking to one to two decades earlier, when eastern Austria was occupied by the Soviets, though. I imagine a scene, when my grandma learned some of that, like holding a basket of cobs, and a russian soldier approaches her, pointing to it, uttering "Kukuruz", and my grandma passes one to him. So she learned, I guess, and when she asked little toddler me, if I want to have a corn on the cob, she would have use the term. So I learned, I guess... 😉

 

Btw, talking inspiration; did you read Romain Hugaults "The Grand Duke"? It''s about a pilot starting at the Night Witches and includes some great pictures of PO2s as well. I might adopt one of these heavy weathered single olive drab schemes on my build.

Your build is quite fast, I might add...

Thanks for the info.

I'll need to go and search the book out.

 

Cheers,

Alistair

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...