When the hurly burly's done, When the battle's lost and won. - ICM 1/72 Polikarpov U-2/Po-2VS

AliGauld

On 19/10/2021 at 01:31, TheyJammedKenny! said:

This is great, and so glad that ICM surprised you!  The first word in red is "Mstit" which is "to avenge," so the women being referred to in the white lettering are the fallen pilot and observer from another aircraft.  This is cool.  

Thanks for the info that makes it a lot more interesting.

Sorry for the late reply I thought I'd already done it.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Just now, bigbadbadge said:

Great to see you start on the wires Alistair.  You will soon be wondering what you were worried about and be making a start on that Felixstowe!!!

Chris

Thanks Chris,

The Starboard side is done now. Having a cuppa before starting on the wings.

I don't want to jinx it but it's not too bad so far. :oops:

Leaving the top wing off has made it easier to manoeuvre the rigging. So, once again, Thanks to @AdrianMF for that tip.

Cheers,

Alistair 

• Like 1

The other side was rigged.

CC4uqdv.jpg

And I must have been feeling brave because.....

zM6G7Y7.jpg

yheKfy3.jpg

nHatzZL.jpg

xEuTe63.jpg

yuid6ez.jpg

Not as much hassle as I was expecting. Now wondering why I spent three days staring at the rigging diagram and planning it out.

Who am I kidding i was too scared to try. :pray:.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

See, you'll be rigging lots of biplanes now  great work Alistair, I foresee a DH2 on the horizon!!!😉

Chris

To quote a well used Scottish phrase.

"Aye, That'll be right." :D

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1

Nice. The big rigging secret is now out. "It's not as hard as you think it's going to be!" (*)

Regards,

Adrian

(*) Except for once in a while, when it all goes horribly, horribly, wrong for no reason you can think of...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice. The big rigging secret is now out. "It's not as hard as you think it's going to be!" (*)

Regards,

Adrian

(*) Except for once in a while, when it all goes horribly, horribly, wrong for no reason you can think of...

Thanks Adrian,

Today I got Lucky. All in all it took about 90 minutes to do. 

I've spent longer than that trying to get an aerial rigged on a Spitfire.

Some you win.....

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

I took the opportunity this morning to stick the bomb racks, landing light and the underwing hoopy bits on.

Unfortunately the hoopy bits disintegrated so I improvised with some 0.4mm brass tubing and while I had her upside down stuck the Stars on.

prDKTgZ.jpg

JVhem1G.jpg

pBRqKB1.jpg

They'll get painted once they're settled in.

The quickboost prop and ResKit wheels were primed as were the various sundry engine and gun bits.

0lmW6vg.jpg

TdN2ERX.jpg

zUPVO7R.jpg

JcF15xF.jpg

xc7I25l.jpg

nQuJ7pS.jpg

2l8ngb3.jpg

87UhyNG.jpg

lChvtYO.jpg

wPQdesI.jpg

4h6guM3.jpg

SQfohLY.jpg

The bombs have been pieced together and will be sanded once the glue is set properly.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 7

Beautiful, and you make it look so easy!  Those "hoopy bits" as you refer to them were designed to right the airplane if the wing neared the ground during a landing due to wind gusts or pilot error, and prevented the whole contraption from ground-looping.  They served as "bumpers" and protected the wing itself from damage.  A staple of early biplane designs, they seem to have disappeared on the mid-30s Western designs, like the Swordfish, Gladiator, and such.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautiful, and you make it look so easy!  Those "hoopy bits" as you refer to them were designed to right the airplane if the wing neared the ground during a landing due to wind gusts or pilot error, and prevented the whole contraption from ground-looping.  They served as "bumpers" and protected the wing itself from damage.  A staple of early biplane designs, they seem to have disappeared on the mid-30s Western designs, like the Swordfish, Gladiator, and such.

Thanks very much. That's very kind of you.

Thanks also for the info regarding the wing bumpers. I had no idea.

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent progress Alistair  looking good fella.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

It's starting to come together.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

I've been insufficiently attentive to this, but catching up now and what a great thread! Adventures, disasters, heroics, unexpected turn-of-events, translations of coded messages, and a great model to boot! You really know how to pick them, Alistair!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I've been insufficiently attentive to this, but catching up now and what a great thread! Adventures, disasters, heroics, unexpected turn-of-events, translations of coded messages, and a great model to boot! You really know how to pick them, Alistair!

Thanks so much.

All disasters and unexpected turns are entirely of my own making.

38 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

You’re a Frood  who really knows where his towel is when it comes to modelling Alistair. 

Craig. 

Thanks Craig that is incredibly kind of you.

I'm more of an unhip person whose bum falls off.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks so much.

All disasters and unexpected turns are entirely of my own making.

Well in terms of the unexpected turn, I had the ICM decals in mind! A whole crisp brand-new sheet just like that!

Looking forward to seeing this one done, although to be honest that port fuselage is already the highlight, I am pretty sure.

• Like 1

Just now, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Well in terms of the unexpected turn, I had the ICM decals in mind! A whole crisp brand-new sheet just like that!

Looking forward to seeing this one done, although to be honest that port fuselage is already the highlight, I am pretty sure.

I was not only pleased but completely surprised by the ICM sheet arriving.

That's what I call customer service above and beyond.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

A little more paint applied to wing bumpers, engine parts, wheels, gun, bombs and tail skid.

p3Usu2b.jpg

6gnEcLH.jpg

AyStB6r.jpg

83cSBfL.jpg

YjX6Caw.jpg

9tYHNkU.jpg

IYGcxuD.jpg

iC8vusJ.jpg

IQA4PRx.jpg

9vajsyd.jpg

kU6Zz5y.jpg

pYVbmNL.jpg