When the hurly burly's done, When the battle's lost and won. - ICM 1/72 Polikarpov U-2/Po-2VS

AliGauld

Great work, Alistair! The camo is looking excellent and those decals really bring to life the fervour of the Soviet armed services in WW2 (GPW!). What a PITA about the last decal, though :( 

And @AdrianMF's strut positioning technique is one I'll definitely be borrowing at some point!

Looking forward to the next installment :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Great work, Alistair! The camo is looking excellent and those decals really bring to life the fervour of the Soviet armed services in WW2 (GPW!). What a PITA about the last decal, though :( 

And @AdrianMF's strut positioning technique is one I'll definitely be borrowing at some point!

Looking forward to the next installment :)

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark.

Stuff happens I'll just need to wait. 

Adrians technique is both effective and easy.

A bit of acetate from a 9V battery blister and it just works. One to remember and use again.

Meanwhile onwards and upwards.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

Great work Alistair it's looking great. Like Adrian's idea, will have to use myself,  thanks Adrian.   

What a shame about the decal, is it just for this scheme or all options in the kit as if only for this scheme it may be worth placing a wanted add in the wanted thread , you never know you may get lucky and saves having to put on the back burner, I am sure you are keen to start the rigging!!!

Great work fella 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Alistair it's looking great. Like Adrian's idea, will have to use myself,  thanks Adrian.   

What a shame about the decal, is it just for this scheme or all options in the kit as if only for this scheme it may be worth placing a wanted add in the wanted thread , you never know you may get lucky and saves having to put on the back burner, I am sure you are keen to start the rigging!!!

Great work fella 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

It's just for this scheme.

I'm keen to get on with the rigging as well. :whistle:

No excuses to avoid it here. :lalala:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks Chris,

It's just for this scheme.

I'm keen to get on with the rigging as well. :whistle:

No excuses to avoid it here. :lalala:

Cheers,

Alistair

😄 excellent Alastair,  if you need any help with the rigging we are all here for you fella. 

Good news about the decal, someone might have one Alistair if they haven't used it ???

Chris

• Like 1

That's looking good, Alistair! I really need to work on mine, but at the moment I can't even remember where it is (that's what happens when you have 200+ Soviet GPW kits lying around everywhere!). That's a pity about the decal - it looks good with the one you have on - I love those big patriotic slogans on Soviet aircraft. That's one of the things I love about doing Soviet GPW models.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Learstang said:

I love those big patriotic slogans on Soviet aircraft. That's one of the things I love about doing Soviet GPW models.

I'm loving this entire build and painting session.  I think it is the slogans that make the aircraft, and this one is unique and special because it's not the usual ode to "factory #12" or Stalin, or the homeland, but to "friends in war," and some really specific ladies' names: Tanya and Vera.  So it's really quite personal and not at all patriotic.

• Like 3

What a shame about the decal Alistair, they really can be a pain. The last couple of ICM kits I’ve bought have contained a leaflet saying they’ll replace any parts eaten by the dog (something highly pertinent in my situation) so they should be happy to send you out another decal sheet. 

Craig. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Goodness me! It’s not mine, picked it up from the BM Massif! 

Regards(sheepishly),

Adrian

No need for any sheepishness. You brought the idea to my attention and that's good enough for me but thanks to whoever it was that came up with the idea.

16 hours ago, Learstang said:

That's looking good, Alistair! I really need to work on mine, but at the moment I can't even remember where it is (that's what happens when you have 200+ Soviet GPW kits lying around everywhere!). That's a pity about the decal - it looks good with the one you have on - I love those big patriotic slogans on Soviet aircraft. That's one of the things I love about doing Soviet GPW models.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason,

I'll get another decal and get it sorted.

17 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I'm loving this entire build and painting session.  I think it is the slogans that make the aircraft, and this one is unique and special because it's not the usual ode to "factory #12" or Stalin, or the homeland, but to "friends in war," and some really specific ladies' names: Tanya and Vera.  So it's really quite personal and not at all patriotic.

Thanks for that. You're right about the personal element.

12 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

What a shame about the decal Alistair, they really can be a pain. The last couple of ICM kits I’ve bought have contained a leaflet saying they’ll replace any parts eaten by the dog (something highly pertinent in my situation) so they should be happy to send you out another decal sheet. 

Craig. 

I've emailed ICM. We'll see what happens.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I’ve just realised which decal you mean. I have a spare set from my IOM kit (not the ICM):

96854-C20-9295-40-F0-9-FA1-D994187-AA75-

The decals weren’t too bad and they’re yours if you PM me your address.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks so much Adrian.

That really is incredibly kind of you.

I'll be very grateful to get them.

I'll PM you my address.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm back and on arriving home I found a parcel from @AdrianMF that he had graciously sent me.

LVmvCs7.jpg

This morning having got work out of the way I got up the energy to get everything out of the boxes and restart and then.........

The postie dropped a completely unexpected letter through the door from Russia, containing this.

1XjkOIW.jpg

I had filled out a contact us form with ICM regarding the decals and they sent me the entire decal sheet. I hadn't received any communication from them about this, so, was completely surprised by this arrival.

Work has been resumed.

iVEItKz.jpg

Not much admittedly. Some of the underwing fiddlies got primed and painted.

zRHNZwX.jpg

Many, many thanks to both Adrian and ICM for their help with this.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Looking great, Alistair! The decals really pop.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark.

1 minute ago, AdrianMF said:

The strange thing is that the other side is blank except for the star and the number. So it's like getting two schemes for the price of one!

Regards,

Adrian

Absolutely.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

This is great, and so glad that ICM surprised you!  The first word in red is "Mstit" which is "to avenge," so the women being referred to in the white lettering are the fallen pilot and observer from another aircraft.  This is cool.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Fine looking fuselage Alistair. I forget (not an uncommon occurrence these days unfortunately), have you revealed the approach you're going to take to the dread rigging yet?

Craig.

Thanks Craig.

As to the rigging I'm going to steal from Adrian again.

I'll get all the rigging apart from the aileron to aileron rigging done with the top wing off, starting with the tail to fuselage stuff then all the wing internals and finally the undercarriage stuff.

Ca glue and Uschi Van Der Rosten elastic rigging thread and I'm hoping this will work.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2